Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Don't feel like looking it up, but the % of present day kids on some type of ADHD medication is through the roof. This is largely due to today's parents....can even add younger, inexperienced pediatricians to that. Almost forgot to mention the change in lifestyle for kids. When we were kids, most of us were outside doing something active. Dreaded the "street lights are on." Take a look around your neighborhood this evening. Most streets will be vacant. Not many kids will be outside playing. They'd rather be inside playing video games, surfing the internet and/or using their cell phone.

I have to yell at kids to get off my lawn all summer, I'm not sure your anecdote holds up. :) The thing that surprised me the most is they'll be out playing football while the Eagles game is on TV.

(Disclaimer: both my neighbors with young kids (5-10 years old) moved away, so the kids are fewer now)

Don't feel like looking it up, but the % of present day kids on some type of ADHD medication is through the roof. This is largely due to today's parents....can even add younger, inexperienced pediatricians to that. Almost forgot to mention the change in lifestyle for kids. When we were kids, most of us were outside doing something active. Dreaded the "street lights are on." Take a look around your neighborhood this evening. Most streets will be vacant. Not many kids will be outside playing. They'd rather be inside playing video games, surfing the internet and/or using their cell phone.

In their defense, it's not all the kids doing. Times have changed and some of it is institutional in nature. If a parent threw their kids outside and told them not to come home until the streetlights came on today they'd be answering a door knock from DSS/CPS/Whatever they call the group in your town. We walked to school or at least all met at a central bus stop when I was growing up (depending on where I lived at the time) and now the bus picks up every damn kid at the end of their driveway and if a parent isn't there to drop them off and pick them up the bus drivers are required to report them. They pay teachers like crap and cram more and more kids into each class and it's no wonder they are recommending to the parents of all the "problem kids" that they should get tested for ADD/ADHD. I venture the percentage of households where it's a single parent or two parents but both of them work is way higher as well. It's kind of hard to tell the kid to put down the video games and ride your bike when you aren't there to do it because Mom has to put in 40 hours cashiering at the local grocery store because Dad only makes half of what he used to make at the muffler shop but it's still the best job he's had ever since the plant closed down.

Edited by Drunkard

I always liked Gaustad but him and Myers will always be tainted for not tearing into Lucic after he creamed Miller. Even Kessel was willing to swing his purse at a bully.

If memory serves, I believe sekera hugged him to the boards and waited for the cavalry, who never came and then he decided to be a too.

Per Joe McDonald if ESPN Chris Drury to be named Asst GM of the NY Rangers Today.

Wonder if he will convince the actual GM that you can't trade away every 1st round draft pick you have. Last time they drafted in the 1st round was 2012. And let me just say looking back at that 2012 draft... barf. After the 1st round that draft just sucked. 

why?  I'm happy for him.

Don't think he ever really liked Buffalo or appreciated the adoration he got from the fans.

I think he never really deserved the pedestal he was put upon.

I get the sense he has no use for the franchise or the city and is probably disrespectful to both off camera.

And I think he's a sour human being.

Not a lot of evidence to support the above, but it is the impression I get.

Don't think he ever really liked Buffalo or appreciated the adoration he got from the fans.

I get the sense he has no use for the franchise or the city and is probably disrespectful to both off camera.

lol gotcha.  I disagree, but it's your impression  :beer:

Not totally unfair. But I think you're projecting a fair amount there. You're right that he's just ... sour. Super sour, in fact. That's who he is, though. As some here may recall, I always bring up the fact that he schooled many younger Sabres in the ways of nutritious but bland meals both pre-game and throughout the season and infamously told Brian Campbell to turn off that stereo post-practice because it was time to get into the goddamned weight room. GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM, RUSTY. NOW.

I'd be very surprised if he were privately disrespectful re the Sabres and/or Buffalo.

But he ain't gonna gush or make nice either. He's going to mumble some banal nonsense, and get back to the business of the joyless and ceaseless grind that seems to motivate everything he does.

Also: I will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER harbour antipathy for a man who did this:

Tread lightly my friend. I shared this sentiment years ago and every Adam, Eve and Steve wanted to string me up. He's Sabres divinity to most.

Tread lightly my friend. I shared this sentiment years ago and every Adam, Eve and Steve wanted to string me up. He's Sabres divinity to most.

Both points seem like a bit much.

Ive mentioned before my opinion that Drury's way of going about his craft, and his expectations for others, likely ruined the Vanek, Roy, Pominville core.

Glad he was successful with us. Don't give a damn about him now.

That first point is an interesting one - I had never really considered that. The young guys could work under him, but he didn't bring them along in a way that they could do it on their own.

Maybe. I think it's more a matter of those guys being incapable of taking on the role.

And I agree: I have very fond memories, but he's not a beloved alum. That's largely because he naturally rebuffs any attempt at such love.

Chris Drury is one of the few (only?) former Sabre icons I have developed a healthy dislike for post-Buffalo.

him, the minute he left buffalo i was over him

Per Joe McDonald if ESPN Chris Drury to be named Asst GM of the NY Rangers Today.

Thanks for delivering Vesey?