Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Lawson just went 11th overall a year ago, didn't he? If they can afford the contract with no problems, that's a good piece to add. Really bolstering their prospect pool, wow.

Hfboards says the second becomes a third if Crouse doesn't make the roster this year

yes, but he didn't put up good numbers in the OHL, I think he would go late 1st round if they redid that draft.

Edit - Just realized the Rangers now have all the LWs I wanted for Eichel: Vesey, Nash, and Pirri.

Summers not over. I think we still take Nash and the Vesey and Pirri combine to destroy the Rags locker room and show the cancers they are. Nash goes on to finally win a cup say thanks for getting me the hell outta there.

Summers not over. I think we still take Nash and the Vesey and Pirri combine to destroy the Rags locker room and show the cancers they are. Nash goes on to finally win a cup say thanks for getting me the hell outta there.

then signs another 2 year contract at half the price to keep playing with Eichel :p

Who would you trade for Nash and his 7.8 mil cap hit? It looks like the Sabres have ~9 million left to spend and still need to sign Risto & Zemgus. 

Certainly seems financially driven, but how many 1st round picks that teams give up on this soon actually pan out? I'm reminded of a certain Zach Kassian and Cody Hodgson here.

There's that Seguin guy...

Seriously though, how many first rounds do teams give up on this soon?

There's that Seguin guy...

Seriously though, how many first rounds do teams give up on this soon?

Not many, and those that do are all busts, no?

Filip Forsberg didn't amount to anything

I'm reasonably confident that was a "win now" move, not a "we don't think he's going to be good" move.

Certainly seems financially driven, but how many 1st round picks that teams give up on this soon actually pan out? I'm reminded of a certain Zach Kassian and Cody Hodgson here.

Like Hoss said, they need to be under the cap when the season starts before being placed on LTIR. Since he's already on LTIR his $5+mil would count on opening night. There is nobody left to sign and they had room for Bolland regardless. I just don't see any reason to unload a 1st round prospect (whether or not he dropped off last year) to clear up cap space unless they plan to add another high $$ player. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to see another full season to be sold on Pirri. When he scored 22 goals in 49 games in 2014-15, it was very reminiscent of Stafford in 2010-11. Everything he touched went in the net, he had an awful lot of lucky bounces and good breaks. If he was as good as his stats show, he wouldn't be on his 4th team with less than 200 games played and settled for a low $$ contract. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I'm reasonably confident that was a "win now" move, not a "we don't think he's going to be good" move.

Are you sure? They traded for Martin Erat, after all.

Just kidding but that really might be the worst trade in recent memory.

Are you sure? They traded for Martin Erat, after all.

Just kidding but that really might be the worst trade in recent memory.

Especially since everyone immediately said WTF are you doing? It wasn't like Forsberg was largely unknown. Erat on the other hand has always been a POS.

Boom.

Who would you trade for Nash and his 7.8 mil cap hit? It looks like the Sabres have ~9 million left to spend and still need to sign Risto & Zemgus. 

Dunno. Zemgus and they keep half of Nash's salary? I would hate to do it and they would say Zemgus doesn't get it done I'm sure. Zemgus and a third then? I don't know our next couple drafts but how bout three thirds? How bout Larrson and a second. No. How Matty and a third and they don't eat any of Nash's salary? Not sure that's enough incentive for them to save two mil or whatever.

I may propose a scenario but a better guy to ask the question of who would you trade should be put to Wookie and go from there.

I need to see another full season to be sold on Pirri. When he scored 22 goals in 49 games in 2014-15, it was very reminiscent of Stafford in 2010-11. Everything he touched went in the net, he had an awful lot of lucky bounces and good breaks. If he was as good as his stats show, he wouldn't be on his 4th team with less than 200 games played and settled for a low $$ contract. 

Damn if I know what it is but something sure as hell is wrong with that picture isn't there?

Boom.

Dynamite!