Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Predicting this year's Cup champion off of last year's stats. Solid article, as usual by this site 

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/using-last-years-stats-to-identify-this-years-stanley-cup-contenders/

Here are the past eight Stanley Cup winners as an example. Remember, these numbers are where the past eight Stanley Cup champions finished the season before they won the Stanley Cup.

Team                                            CF/60       CA/60         CF%           FenClose        Average

2015 Pittsburgh Penguins          9th                4th             5th               3rd                    5.2 

2014 Chicago Blackhawks         4th               3rd             2nd               2nd                  2.7

2013Los Angeles Kings               8th              2nd             1st               1st                    3.0

2012 Chicago Blackhawks         8th                 5th             6th              5th                    6.0

2011 Los Angeles Kings             18th               4th            10th            15th                  11.7

2010 Boston Bruins                       9th                4th             5th              3rd                     5.2

2009 Chicago Blackhawks          9th                 1st              3rd             4th                     4.2

2008 Pittsburgh Penguins           25th               28th           29th            27th                  27.2

Of the past eight Stanley Cup winners, only two of them finished the previous season higher than seventh in the league standings: The 2009-10 Blackhawks were sixth the year before they won, while the 2008-09 Penguins were coming off of a season where they finished with the fourth best record in the league.

Edited by WildCard

Looks like a typical Boston douche with that flat brimmed hat and the goofy celtic cross but he's our Boston douche so I'll ignore it.

The flat brimmed hat is in style everywhere except the south and mid-west and Buffalo.    It's all flat brims on the left coast here, my kids scream if I even put touch the brims of their hats.   I've even seen some curved up the other way.

That said, the celtic cross is just plain ghetto... unless he recently joined the 18th Street gang and hasn't told anyone yet.

The flat brimmed hat is in style everywhere except the south and mid-west and Buffalo.    It's all flat brims on the left coast here, my kids scream if I even put touch the brims of their hats.   I've even seen some curved up the other way.

That said, the celtic cross is just plain ghetto... unless he recently joined the 18th Street gang and hasn't told anyone yet.

Oh I've seen that hat plenty up here.

In case anyone was wondering where the Sabres ranked in those categories 

CF/60       CA/60         CF%           FenClose        Average

26th          17th            25th            27th                  23.75

And, where does that make them compared to the team that finished the same in those categories the year prior?

CF/60       CA/60         CF%           FenClose       

CBJ            NYI             CBJ          Edmonton         

FWIW

Edited by WildCard

Two questions:

1. Why did you link to a tweet about NWHL stats?

2. Why does the woman *try* to look like Flo from Progressive?

(Third question...is there a group of people who think that "the Flo" is a good look?)

Dammit, wrong one :lol:

I live in NC and I've seen plenty of flat brimmed hats down here as well. Another hipster trend stolen from black people because they think it looks cool. Once enough white people take it over though the black community will switch to something else and the hipster community will follow suit and they can all move onto their next abomination like sagging their skinny jeans or some other nonsense like fedoras again.

If you are under the age of 50 and wear a fedora you should have said hat stuffed down your throat until you choke on it and die.

I live in NC and I've seen plenty of flat brimmed hats down here as well. Another hipster trend stolen from black people because they think it looks cool. Once enough white people take it over though the black community will switch to something else and the hipster community will follow suit and they can all move onto their next abomination like sagging their skinny jeans or some other nonsense like fedoras again.

If you are under the age of 50 and wear a fedora you should have said hat stuffed down your throat until you choke on it and die.

It's already happened. Google Dad hats.

Why do you say stuff like this?

Because maybe it will save one kid from walking out the door dressed from the ears up like Dick Tracey or Humphrey Bogart. It's ridiculous just like people who wear cowboy hats, boots, and big belt buckles that don't drive cattle. They look foolish and deserve to be criticized and mocked until hopefully said behavior changes.

Or maybe I'm just an . Probably both, but I still enjoy making the statement because it shouldn't go left unsaid.

Because maybe it will save one kid from walking out the door dressed from the ears up like Dick Tracey or Humphrey Bogart. It's ridiculous just like people who wear cowboy hats, boots, and big belt buckles that don't drive cattle. They look foolish and deserve to be criticized and mocked until hopefully said behavior changes.

Or maybe I'm just an ######. Probably both, but I still enjoy making the statement because it shouldn't go left unsaid.

So, when I was in my 20s, living in Washington, and walking / bussing / metroing everywhere, in a suit and winter coat (in the wintertime, obv.), you think a knit hat would have been a better look?  Dress hats have a purpose when it's cold out!

I didn't even notice this trend but from seeing the images it looks like close to half the people shown wearing those hats are already white so it's only a matter of time before the black community picks a new trend because white people have made the current one uncool by association. I wish they'd go with something that's not easy for most white people to replicate like afros. I think more black folks should sport afros. I wish Obama would grow one just to piss off the GOP.

So, when I was in my 20s, living in Washington, and walking / bussing / metroing everywhere, in a suit and winter coat (in the wintertime, obv.), you think a knit hat would have been a better look?  Dress hats have a purpose when it's cold out!

You're fine to wear whatever you want, man. In my opinion if you're going to wear a fedora you might as well go for the zoot suit, pocket watch, and bowling shoes (whatever they are called that's what they look like) combo as well. In the end it doesn't matter though. It's just the opinion of one anyway (mine).

I didn't even notice this trend but from seeing the images it looks like close to half the people shown wearing those hats are already white so it's only a matter of time before the black community picks a new trend because white people have made the current one uncool by association. I wish they'd go with something that's not easy for most white people to replicate like afros. I think more black folks should sport afros. I wish Obama would grow one just to piss off the GOP.

You're fine to wear whatever you want, man. In my opinion if you're going to wear a fedora you might as well go for the zoot suit, pocket watch, and bowling shoes (whatever they are called that's what they look like) combo as well. In the end it doesn't matter though. It's just the opinion of one ###### anyway (mine).

It wasn't quite a fedora--a little wider-brimmed.  But it definitely helped me get through the winters!

The shoes you're looking for are sometimes called wingtip saddle shoes.  No, I don't.

Are you in the over 50 thread? Got some interesting fedora stuff in there lol.

I think we should team and teach the hipsters a thing or two. Fedora wearin clowns.

To be fair though your take is a little more extreme than my thoughts. I mean I like the stuffing down the throat until they choke on it part but I think I would stop right about there. You know just give em notice of their faux paux. :w00t:  

Edited by beerme1

I think we should team and teach the hipsters a thing or two. Fedora wearin clowns.

To be fair though your take is a little more extreme than my thoughts. I mean I like the stuffing down the throat until they choke on it part but I think I would stop right about there. You know just give em notice of their faux paux. :w00t:  

No, I'm 35 years old so I haven't been posting in the thread designated for "seasoned" citizens. I'd give the over 50 crowd a pass though on fedoras and whatever they choose to wear because they are from an era that proceeds me and for the most part they don't seem to get sucked into trends and whatever clothing choices because it's cool. Like Eleven, I imagine what they choose to wear has more of a practical purpose than standing out from the crowd or being different (just like everybody else).

I've been called an old curmudgeon on plenty of occasions though so I'd probably fit better with the older group than my own generation, so I'll have to check it out. Together we can pine for a day where people wear clothes that actually fit (instead of super baggy pants or skin tight ones), where shoelaces get tied, people take the tags off the clothes they buy, curve the brim of their ball caps to help shield the sun from the side (kind of the purpose of the brim on a ball cap if you ask me) and where white guys who get dread locks or wear corn rows are shunned by society and have their job applications thrown in the trash can right in front of them.

OMFG NO ONE CARES TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!

HERE! Here is a freaking thread for it http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24305-get-off-my-lawn-the-over-50-thread/page-4 

I live in NC and I've seen plenty of flat brimmed hats down here as well. Another hipster trend stolen from black people because they think it looks cool. Once enough white people take it over though the black community will switch to something else and the hipster community will follow suit and they can all move onto their next abomination like sagging their skinny jeans or some other nonsense like fedoras again.

Why do you say stuff like this?

Or maybe I'm just an ######. Probably both, but I still enjoy making the statement because it shouldn't go left unsaid.

You're fine to wear whatever you want, man. In my opinion if you're going to wear a fedora you might as well go for the zoot suit, pocket watch, and bowling shoes (whatever they are called that's what they look like) combo as well. In the end it doesn't matter though. It's just the opinion of one ###### anyway (mine).

It wasn't quite a fedora--a little wider-brimmed.  But it definitely helped me get through the winters!

The shoes you're looking for are sometimes called wingtip saddle shoes.  No, I don't.

No, I'm 35 years old so I haven't been posting in the thread designated for "seasoned" citizens. I'd give the over 50 crowd a pass though on fedoras and whatever they choose to wear because they are from an era that proceeds me and for the most part they don't seem to get sucked into trends and whatever clothing choices because it's cool. Like Eleven, I imagine what they choose to wear has more of a practical purpose than standing out from the crowd or being different (just like everybody else).

I've been called an old curmudgeon on plenty of occasions though so I'd probably fit better with the older group than my own generation, so I'll have to check it out. Together we can pine for a day where people wear clothes that actually fit (instead of super baggy pants or skin tight ones), where shoelaces get tied, people take the tags off the clothes they buy, curve the brim of their ball caps to help shield the sun from the side (kind of the purpose of the brim on a ball cap if you ask me) and where white guys who get dread locks or wear corn rows are shunned by society and have their job applications thrown in the trash can right in front of them.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24305-get-off-my-lawn-the-over-50-thread/page-4 

It's like we have specific threads for crap like this for a reason so that I don't have to wade through 9 posts of crap to see if anything of note has happened in the NHL. Go the 50's angry folks thread or create a freaking hatware thread but get the out of this one. 

Edited by LGR4GM