Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

He'll always be behind Mario regardless, but some longevity will see him pass Jagr.

Jagr would have zero cups if he didn't get the chance to play second fiddle to Mario.

Referring back to the stat I posted about, he passes Jagr in power play goals this season if they each produce the same amount they did last season. That's insane.

He'll always be behind Mario regardless, but some longevity will see him pass Jagr.

Jagr would have zero cups if he didn't get the chance to play second fiddle to Mario.

He's amazing, but this is correct.  

I can say with confidence that no one in DC cared about the Craps when he played there.

They didn't even care in '98.

Guess who led the Penguins in goals both Cup years (90/91, 91/92).

Yep, you guessed it.... Kevin Stevens.

Jagr was 6th on the team in scoring in 91/92.    SIXTH!

Anyway, I think Ovechkin will win a Cup like Brett Hull late in his career when he starts moving around the league chasing the opportunity.  

Jagr was 6th on the team in scoring in 91/92. SIXTH!

Anyway, I think Ovechkin will win a Cup like Brett Hull late in his career when he starts moving around the league chasing the opportunity.

So instead of second fiddle he was like the contrabassoon of their squad.

Jagr was 6th on the team in scoring in 91/92.    SIXTH!

Perhaps the biggest snow hound the NHL ever saw.

The Caps' D Dmitry Orlov is still unsigned. He might be a 3-4 dman, he's a lefty and he's only 25. Last year he had a career best 8-21/26pm. But he's only 6'-200lb. The Caps fans have been getting on Orpik as well -- he's almost finished but might be good depth if you can get him for a bargain..

Edited by Marvelo

The Caps' D Dmitry Orlov is still unsigned. He might be a 3-4 dman and he's a lefty. Last year he had a career best 8-21/26pm. But he's only 6'-200lb. The Caps fans have been getting on Orpik as well -- he's almost finished but might be good depth if you can get him for a bargain..

Yeah Orlov shown some offensive flash, he skates well, he's a nice young defenseman who can create.

Still many grade A players unsigned.... http://www.generalfanager.com/freeagents?expiryyear=2016&position=All&shoots=Both&team=all&RFA=1

Something has to give.   I don't remember there ever being so many top notch RFA's unsigned this close to the season.     

https://www.nhl.com/news/longtime-winnipeg-jets-fan-len-kropioski-dies-at-98/c-281768734

First off, congratulations to the man on an outstandingly long life including one that saw "his team" go away for a period of time.

Little things like these bring such character to sports, cities, and franchises.  It's always a shame when they come to an end.

You've got to mean something pretty special to the team to be the "scene" after the playing of your National Anthem.

Nichushkin reportedly signs two-year deal with CSKA in the KHL. Wants to return to the Stars after the deal but doesn't want to play for Lindy.

This is too funny to be true

Nope, there's been a lot of tension between the two.  Ruff has benched him a few times.

Hahaha. So great. Lindy gon' Lindy.

I wish I could find that think-piece about how the trick with many elite (but flawed) talents is to feature what they do best, and not grind everyone's gears insisting they do something they really just can't/won't. Someone here posted it, I think. It was many moons ago.

Hahaha. So great. Lindy gon' Lindy.

I wish I could find that think-piece about how the trick with many elite (but flawed) talents is to feature what they do best, and not grind everyone's gears insisting they do something they really just can't/won't. Someone here posted it, I think. It was many moons ago.

It's so intuitively obvious, isn't it? Coaches must be amongst the most stubborn creatures to ever roam the Earth.

It's so intuitively obvious, isn't it? Coaches must be amongst the most stubborn creatures to ever roam the Earth.

Well, in fairness, it's arguably equally intuitive that every player should pull their own weight in terms of defensive duties, be as complete a player as possible, play a two-way game, etc.

Well, in fairness, it's arguably equally intuitive that every player should pull their own weight in terms of defensive duties, be as complete a player as possible, play a two-way game, etc.

Well, it's intuitive to want that to happen...but I don't think it's intuitive to keep trying to force it when it becomes clear it's not happening. Difference between a good coach (of which there are many) and a great coach (of which there are few): the good ones adapt the pieces to their system, the great ones adapt their system to the pieces. It's the functional definition of cutting your nose to spite your face. You can want your car to accelerate like a Corvette all you want, but if it doesn't, it does neither you nor the car any good to toss a stick of dynamite under the hood instead of just using it for what it is.

Well, it's intuitive to want that to happen...but I don't think it's intuitive to keep trying to force it when it becomes clear it's not happening. Difference between a good coach (of which there are many) and a great coach (of which there are few): the good ones adapt the pieces to their system, the great ones adapt their system to the pieces. It's the functional definition of cutting your nose to spite your face. You can want your car to accelerate like a Corvette all you want, but if it doesn't, it does neither you nor the car any good to toss a stick of dynamite under the hood instead of just using it for what it is.

Right. Or, maybe more to this point, it's useless to insist that your Corvette perform like a reasonable family sedan.

Right. Or, maybe more to this point, it's useless to insist that your Corvette perform like a reasonable family sedan.

Love it. Not really related, but if there's one thing I hate it's seeing a sports car being driven by an ancient person who is afraid to go over 30 mph.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

In this case I'll trust Lindy. Nichushkin has done nothing while the Stars scored the most goals in the league last year. Jamie Benn went from damn good to one of the game's top forwards.

I'll say it: Lindy is one of the league's best coaches (and I still think Buffalo waited to long to fire him)