Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Advanced stats on using passing data to uncover playing styles. Check out which two Sabres are in the top right of that graph

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/using-nhl-passing-data-to-uncover-playing-styles/

Oooohhhhhh this is pretty. Check out this graph to see what type of player each forward is. (Click on the team logo to the left)

https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/Usage_8/Dashboard3

The defense is terrible. Wanna know why we dumped Pysyk?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/Usage-def/Dashboard4

What does it say? The graphs that is it won't load on my iPad

I got it. Seems to indicate Bogosian isn't as bad as True paints him. Also click on the Blues logo for d. That is pretty scary.

Of course he's not as bad as I paint him...that's what happens when you portray someone as the antichrist :lol:

Bogosian is so weird to me. Eye test says he's decent to good defensively and horrendous offensively, stats say he's horrendous defensively and decent to good offensively.

Unless of course he is the actual antichrist then you would be spot on. Though my eye test is more the latter. I think he wanders too much in the d zone and is out of position a lot. But when the play moves out of the d zone he is always active. I would like to see him be more disciplined in the d zone and not look for the home run hit all the time. Better more active stick, and losing a few lbs so he doesn't where down in the third might help.

Edited by 3putt

Of course he's not as bad as I paint him...that's what happens when you portray someone as the antichrist :lol:

Bogosian is so weird to me. Eye test says he's decent to good defensively and horrendous offensively, stats say he's horrendous defensively and decent to good offensively.

Eye test says decent to good defensively? Who are you and where is the real Blue?

I don't think he's horrendous defensively.  Average.  Offensively, I think he's good.  

Unless of course he is the actual antichrist then you would be spot on. Though my eye test is more the latter. I think he wanders too much in the d zone and is out of position a lot. But when the play moves out of the d zone he is always active. I would like to see him be more disciplined in the d zone and not look for the home run hit all the time. Better more active stick, and losing a few lbs so he doesn't where down in the third might help.

Eye test says decent to good defensively? Who are you and where is the real Blue?

In trying to be cute with language, I failed to actually articulate a point. Sadness. Anyway, I agree with 3Putt's analysis. What I was trying to get at is the size, skating, physicality (or ability to be physical, anyway, since it's inconsistent)...he's everything you would think you'd want in a rugged shutdown defenseman. And then he steps on the ice and actually plays, and bleh.

So if I read these charts correctly, virtually every significant player Murray has acquired (Okposo, ROR, Kane, Bogosian) look pretty effective offensively, while of the players he gave up (Stafford, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Pysyk, McNabb) only Tyler Myers is on the positive side of the ledger. The exception appears to be Kulikov, but when you compare him to the embarrassingly low score of Pysyk, it looks like another steal of a trade. (But, but assets...overpaying...!)

Arizona takes on ANOTHER bad contract as the Panthers trade Dave Bolland and Lawson Crouse to them for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Lawson just went 11th overall a year ago, didn't he? If they can afford the contract with no problems, that's a good piece to add. Really bolstering their prospect pool, wow.

Hfboards says the second becomes a third if Crouse doesn't make the roster this year

I would have paid that price for Crouse.

In fact I'm a little annoyed we didn't.

I would have too but you can't assume we had the chance to. We're in the same division as Florida. Them flipping Crouse to us is pretty unlikely. Edited by Hoss

We don't have the cap space to make a move like this. Or is Bolland one of those permanent LTIR contracts?

Permanent LTIR. I may be wrong but I believe you still have to be under the cap at the beginning of the season INCLUDING the LTIR players since they don't get placed on LTIR until the season starts.

We don't have the cap space to make a move like this. Or is Bolland one of those permanent LTIR contracts?

The Panthers tried to buy him out, but couldn't because he failed his physical.

I thought that meant long-term IR, but maybe I'm wrong.

Somebody please convince me how this was a good deal for the Panthers.

I wonder how much (or how little) say Tallon had in this deal.

Certainly seems financially driven, but how many 1st round picks that teams give up on this soon actually pan out? I'm reminded of a certain Zach Kassian and Cody Hodgson here.

Hearing Jared Bednar as Avalance new coach. May not be finalized at this moment.

idk who that is

Sounds like Jared Bednar, who coached the AHL Monsters to Calder Cup this year, will be Avs next coach.

Edited by LGR4GM

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account[/size]@FriedgeHNIC

Hearing NYR to sign Brandon Pirri. One year approx $1.1M

God dammit. Do something Murray!

Yeap. Would have loved to add Pirri, especially at that price. He can finish, could have potentially been good on Eichel's left.

Murray is fine with how the roster is, it seems. Kane will be Eichel's LW.

Edit - Just realized the Rangers now have all the LWs I wanted for Eichel: Vesey, Nash, and Pirri.

Edited by Thorny

WGR 550Verified account@WGR550 Jul 7

Okposo and #Sabres GM Tim Murray

CmxKPI8UIAAFxsU.jpg

That's all well and good, but I happen to believe he's missing opportunities to improve the team through solidifying the forward depth. I'm not going to sit here and pretend Hudler or Pirri are world beaters, but they're a hell of a lot better options in the top-9 and on the PP than Cal O'Reilly, who is one injury away from being in exactly that spot again.