Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

What's wrong with St Louis? I've been there a few times, great city.

I like the city, I've visited a few times. This is Hitch's last year, and they are in danger of losing a lot of pieces. I'm not even sure they make the playoffs this year

Who is their number one center now?

I like the city, I've visited a few times. This is Hitch's last year, and they are in danger of losing a lot of pieces. I'm not even sure they make the playoffs this year

Who is their number one center now?

Ah, perspective. In that case I agree with you.

Fabbri looks to be a very good upcoming center, and Lehtera ain't bad. Definitely not an ideal center situation, but they have three very, very good defensemen and elite wingers.

Very true, but what happens when Steen gets her again and Shattenkirk and Bouwmeester leave? I feel like they're very close to unloading talent

Paul Stastny?

Yeah thats not good. Dangerously close to old Sabres territory

Old Sabres had nobody even close to the level of Shattenkirk, Petrangelo, or Tarasenko. But I do agree that their time as one of the best franchises in the west seems to be coming to a close. It's a shame (for them) that they never got to the finals in the past 5 years.

You're right, but I meant more about building from the wings with no center. Granted Tarasenko > Vanek, but the comparables are there IMO, at least in a broad sense as opposed to a direct example Edited by WildCard

Old Sabres had nobody even close to the level of Shattenkirk, Petrangelo, or Tarasenko. But I do agree that their time as one of the best franchises in the west seems to be coming to a close. It's a shame (for them) that they never got to the finals in the past 5 years.

That's what happens when you don't have good centers. You can't make it too far in the playoffs. 

If the Blues were in the east, I have no doubt they would've seen a finals or two.

Probably, but they would likely lose like they have in their own conference. For the same reason.

You raise an interesting question though: who was the last team to reach the Cup Finals with average centers? Better yet, who was the last to win it?

Edited by WildCard

Probably, but they would likely lose like they have in their own conference. For the same reason.

You raise an interesting question though: who was the last team to reach the Cup Finals with average centers? Better yet, who was the last to win it?

Going in to 2011 people certainly didn't talk about Bergeron as elite.

Chicago's centers aren't all that special outside of Toews.

The Rags made it to the finals with Stepan as their best center.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Chicago's centers aren't all that special outside of Toews.

The Rags made it to the finals with Stepan as their best center.

True with Chicago, but look at how much he does for that team. Same with Kopitar and Bergeron; I don't know if Bergeron was that good in 2011 as dudacek points out.

Good call with the Rags. My thing with that is everyone knew they had no shot, and they showed it.

So, maybe you ready just need that one elite center? The counterpoint to this of course is, Washington and Tampa.

True with Chicago, but look at how much he does for that team. Same with Kopitar and Bergeron; I don't know if Bergeron was that good in 2011 as dudacek points out.

Good call with the Rags. My thing with that is everyone knew they had no shot, and they showed it.

So, maybe you ready just need that one elite center? The counterpoint to this of course is, Washington and Tampa.

I think you were closer to the mark originally, generally you need more than one really good centre. 

I think you need elite players in general. At least one high end center seems vital, but P. Kane and Tarasenko can carry lines all by themselves with just pretty good centers.

Bergeron was that good in 2011. He, Thomas, and Chara carried that team. Krejci is a great #2 center option as well.