2016 NHL Free Agency

Hoss

Their failure to prepare for their show should not be confused with the rules being unclear :)

Very important distinction. Both for the listener and host. Sometimes the listener is the one who isn't prepared so they get confused and assume the host is wrong (on local sports talk radio it's often the host that isn't prepared which is baffling).

Their failure to prepare for their show should not be confused with the rules being unclear :)

Or the listeners inability to comprehend what they are saying shouldn't be mis-interpreted as an indication that their discourse was unclear or unprepared.

Since the NHL hasn't yet released the actual rules there has been some conflicting information being put out with regards to NTC and NMC's and the hosts attempted to explain the ambiguity.

Or the listeners inability to comprehend what they are saying shouldn't be mis-interpreted as an indication that their discourse was unclear or unprepared.

Since the NHL hasn't yet released the actual rules there has been some conflicting information being put out with regards to NTC and NMC's and the hosts attempted to explain the ambiguity.

HEY ITS TW EVERYBODY!

To be fair, the NMC stuff was clarified around a week ago now and has been reported consistently since.

They are protecting all of NTC and NMC's

Ennis to me is a fortune-changing wildcard. Some have written him off, and I confess to not mentally factoring him in to future plans. But then sometimes I think about how he played the two seasons before this past one. And hindsight is just that, but there was a time when I looked at his 21 goals and 22 assists in a HORRID tank year, as a twenty-four year old, former first round pick, and thought: this guy would go 30g 30a for 60 points with good line mates on a good team. That would unquestionably be dynamic first line production.

Now, he didn't do that last year, having only played 23 games. But we are only one year removed from that optimism. The head injuries are the biggest concern now. But players with significant head issues have overcome them. Crosby and Bergeron to name a couple. Obviously that doesn't always happen.

But sometimes it's fun to think about the value we could potentially still get from this guy. Now clearly there's no way to know if he'll turn things around, and I've been vocal about wanting Stamkos. But if we could somehow find out that Ennis was going to return to his former trajectory, I may consider myself OFF the Stamkos bandwagon. He could give us that top 6 scoring presence that we seem to be lacking, for a fraction of the cost.

Good post. I would just add that he's probably the fastest skater on the team and an exciting player. I'm rooting for him.

Looks like Eichel likes his new number

But Vesey is wearing 19. Could there be a bigger kiss of death?

I'm definitely leaving Ennis unprotected, has a lot of skill and just hasn't found his way into the top six to make the impact you need.  I'm ready to move on from Ennis, Gorges, and Moulson for sure.

Discarding a winger in his mid-20s who are consistently capable of scoring 20/20 after an injury-riddled year playing in a radically different system for nothing is the definition of shortsightedness and shiny new toy syndrome.

Gorges should be left unprotected, but that isn't the same thing as being someone we need to move on from.

Moulson is a helluva nice guy.

For sure. As Hoss said, however, I don't think anything about NMC/NTC is unclear anymore.

I'm definitely leaving Ennis unprotected, has a lot of skill and just hasn't found his way into the top six to make the impact you need.  I'm ready to move on from Ennis, Gorges, and Moulson for sure. 

To be fair, is anybody not ready to move on from Moulson? Maybe Dudacek? He's got a soft spot for the old guys :p

Good post. I would just add that he's probably the fastest skater on the team and an exciting player. I'm rooting for him.

The only way Ennis is beating Jack in a race is if he gets a Jerry-esque head start. He may have quicker change of direction, however. That aside, I'm also rooting for him.

The only way Ennis is beating Jack in a race is if he gets a Jerry-esque head start. He may have quicker change of direction, however. That aside, I'm also rooting for him.

Interesting. You may well be right. Perhaps they'll have races for fun during training camp and we'll find out then.

For sure. As Hoss said, however, I don't think anything about NMC/NTC is unclear anymore.

To be fair, is anybody not ready to move on from Moulson? Maybe Dudacek? He's got a soft spot for the old guys :P

I watched this show for the first time tonight. (yeah...I don't watch tv much) This was the episode I saw. Then I read this. Funny stuff.

I think you're right, and Jack wouldn't even look like he was trying. Love his stride.

Interesting. You may well be right. Perhaps they'll have races for fun during training camp and we'll find out then.

I really wish fastest skater was one of the things they did for Beyond Blue and Gold. Maybe next year.

I watched this show for the first time tonight. (yeah...I don't watch tv much) This was the episode I saw. Then I read this. Funny stuff.

I think you're right, and Jack wouldn't even look like he was trying. Love his stride.

It came to mind because of the episode tonight; probably my 20th time seeing the episode though.

Now, go watch more Seinfeld!

To be fair, is anybody not ready to move on from Moulson? Maybe Dudacek? He's got a soft spot for the old guys :p

NTCs don't have to be protected, just NMCs, correct?

You, Sir (or Madam I suppose), have been fined the sum of 1 million CAD ($5 US) for failing to refer to the aforementioned player as "Hobey Baker Award Winner, Brian Holzinger".

To your point, he was decent.  Lots of speed, no finish.

You'll receive your money in 6 to 8 weeks.

I particularly remember one great Holzinger goal, against the Leafs in the playoffs.

All the Sabres who have ever worn #19. 

Steve Atkinson 1971-1974

Brian Perry 1971

Francois Lacombe 1971

Morris Titanic 1975-1976

Fred Stanfield 1975

Alex Tidey 1977

Derek Smith 1978-1982

Jeff Eatough 1982

Randy Cunneyworth 1982

Sean McKenna 1982-1983

Jim Wiemer 1983-1985

Bob Halkidis 1985-1987

Doug Trapp 1987

Kevin Maguire 1988-1990

Bob Corkum 1990

Tony Tanti 1991-1992

Randy Wood 1993-1994

Brian Holzinger 1995-2000

Norm Milley 2002-2004

Tim Connolly 2006-2011

Cody Hodgson 2012-2015

Cal O'Reilly 2016

Hodgson? Connolly? Corkum?

How is that number not retired?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.