2016 NHL Free Agency

Hoss

His superficial stats look really good. Can he be our Marian Hossa? 

He would fit exactly that role IMO. The question is, can he sustain his level of play for as long as Hossa has? He's only 30, I wouldn't mind giving him a 4 year deal. Rumor is he wants at least 5 years though

How the hell do we determine possession with the stat machines at either NHL.com or War On Ice?

He would fit exactly that role IMO. The question is, can he sustain his level of play for as long as Hossa has? He's only 30, I wouldn't mind giving him a 4 year deal. Rumor is he wants at least 5 years though

That's the nature of my question.  Would he be worth the long contract (relatively)?  Looks like he may have been injured one year, but otherwise has been durable.

You have to figure that Gionta is 37, and Legawand is 80, and they both contributed.  If we get 4 good years out of a guy like Eriksson that'd be okay.  Obviously, we're all leery because of Matty Mo.

How the hell do we determine possession with the stat machines at either NHL.com or War On Ice?

That's the nature of my question.  Would he be worth the long contract (relatively)?  Looks like he may have been injured one year, but otherwise has been durable.

Never use NHL.com. Use Corsica.hockey or War on Ice. 

So far WOI, go to Players => Skater Comparisons => Filter your Teams => Filter your players/positions => then mess around with the X and Y axis. I like to have it colored by relative corsi, y => Individual High-Danger Scoring Chances, X => Corsi Against per 60 of teammates, and sized by points/60

At this point in their careers, Eriksson clearly had the better season. As far as if he's worth it, it depends on the money, and if we can somehow get rid of Moulson. If, by some unforeseen act of contempt by the hockey gods, we sign Eriksson for a 5.5X5 deal, and he flakes hard like Moulson, we're pretty royally screwed having two contracts like that we can't get rid of; one is bad enough, two would be miserable. I'd be much more comfortable taking a swing at Eriksson if Moulson were gone. 

Now that would be a pretty interesting signing but His contract will scare me more than any other FA I think. I's sayin McGinns getting a 5x5 type of offer what the hell does someone lay out for Okposo? 7x7?

So thats a no on Brouwer then?

I like Brouwer but he'll get far more than I would consider paying him.

On Okposo: yes, please. I hope GMTM doesn't focus solely on Stamkos and fail to engage Okposo and his people. He would look great by Jack's side for the next five years.

Keith Yandle, Kris Russell (maybe if the price is right), Alex Goligoski in that order on LHD.  

Steven Stamkos, Frans Nielsen, David Perron, Andrew Ladd, Jamie McGinn, Kyle Okposo, maybe Boedker or Lucic.  

Shrugs very uninspiring UFA crop.  But, you will have a bulk/dearth of trading options. 

I could see him and Jack being a pretty good combo with their speed 

With the new Vegas team pretty much set in stone now does that affect the chances of us pursuing additional upgrades this season due to the possibility of losing them to the expansion draft? We're lucky in the fact that 2 of our best players are exempt but doesn't adding a LHD force us to expose both Psysk and Bogosian to Vegas or else going the 8 skaters route and exposing even more forwards? 

With the new Vegas team pretty much set in stone now does that affect the chances of us pursuing additional upgrades this season due to the possibility of losing them to the expansion draft? We're lucky in the fact that 2 of our best players are exempt but doesn't adding a LHD force us to expose both Psysk and Bogosian to Vegas or else going the 8 skaters route and exposing even more forwards?

But if we don't address our needs, then we're possibly going to be further in the team building hole a year from now by losing a piece and never having addressed current weak spots. Better to have improved and lost than never improved at all. Or something.

Besides, I fully expect Pysyk to be traded.

But if we don't address our needs, then we're possibly going to be further in the team building hole a year from now by losing a piece and never having addressed current weak spots. Better to have improved and lost than never improved at all. Or something.

Oh I agree. I'd rather try to improve the team than stand pat, I was just wondering if it will have any impact on the Sabres or on other teams around the league. In another thread it was being discussed how some of the lower tiered vets may be given 2 year deals instead of 1 year ones in order to have the required players to expose to the expansion draft (like if we sign Legwand to a 2 year deal then he and Moulson can be our 2 exposed forwards).

Luckily we can only lose 1 player anyway.

On a side note, do you think Psysk gets moved for a LHD? I believe you posted the hypothetical trade with Edmonton of Psysk and 8 for Davidson and 4 theoretical trade a while back. I'd definitely be on board with a move like that.

Oh I agree. I'd rather try to improve the team than stand pat, I was just wondering if it will have any impact on the Sabres or on other teams around the league. In another thread it was being discussed how some of the lower tiered vets may be given 2 year deals instead of 1 year ones in order to have the required players to expose to the expansion draft (like if we sign Legwand to a 2 year deal then he and Moulson can be our 2 exposed forwards).

Luckily we can only lose 1 player anyway.

On a side note, do you think Psysk gets moved for a LHD? I believe you posted the hypothetical trade with Edmonton of Psysk and 8 for Davidson and 4 theoretical trade a while back. I'd definitely be on board with a move like that.

I'm sure it'll be on GMs' minds, but not sure how prominent. It might be a blocker for teams looking to make major additions without subtracting from the active roster (see: my dream of adding two top-4 defensemen), so I'd expect maybe more trades involving players rather than the usual smorgasbord of picks/prospects. Maybe. Who knows? We on the Internet tend to be more concerned about things like this than the actual decision makers :lol:

I don't know what Pysyk gets moved for, but I definitely think he's going. Could be in a trade with say Anaheim LHD since they're light on the right side, but I could also see him as a piece for wing help like Hoffman. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

I'm sure it'll be on GMs' minds, but not sure how prominent. It might be a blocker for teams looking to make major additions without subtracting from the active roster (see: my dream of adding two top-4 defensemen), so I'd expect maybe more trades involving players rather than the usual smorgasbord of picks/prospects. Maybe. Who knows? We on the Internet tend to be more concerned about things like this than the actual decision makers :lol:

I don't know what Pysyk gets moved for, but I definitely think he's going. Could be in a trade with say Anaheim LHD since they're light on the right side, but I could also see him as a piece for wing help like Hoffman. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Exciting part is this all may very well play out over the next 9 days leading up to the draft......Calm before the storm right now.  I expect a bunch of trades around the league to begin any day now. 

It's such a unique time with the expansion draft coming and the salary cap not moving very much.  There's tons of rumors out there but this time it's the big guys (Mackenzie etc) reporting them and 's gonna get crazzzzzy.

With the new Vegas team pretty much set in stone now does that affect the chances of us pursuing additional upgrades this season due to the possibility of losing them to the expansion draft? We're lucky in the fact that 2 of our best players are exempt but doesn't adding a LHD force us to expose both Psysk and Bogosian to Vegas or else going the 8 skaters route and exposing even more forwards? 

Ya, we can only lose one player anyways, so adding a player or players doesn't effect how many we can lose, it's going to be a max of one if any, no matter what (actually, unsure - does Vegas have to claim from every team?)

The only way it wouldn't make sense is if picking up a D caused us to expose a dman better than the one were were adding, but that wouldn't be the case. 

Edited by Thorny

Ya, we can only lose one player anyways, so adding a player or players doesn't effect how many we can lose, it's going to be a max of one if any, no matter what (actually, unsure - does Vegas have to claim from every team?)

The only way it wouldn't make sense is if picking up a D caused us to expose a dman better than the one were were adding, but that wouldn't be the case. 

I don't have a link but I heard on the radio Vegas must claim one player from every team.

Edited by Derrico

I don't have a link but I heard on the radio Vegas must claim one player from every team.

That's kind of up. Isn't an NHL roster something like 25 guys? If they take 30 guys that could theoretically mean that a handful of guys go from NHL rosters to AHL ones despite league expansion. I imagine the Vegas team will probably take a couple of AHL guys who exceed the 2 years pro rule from teams but there's still the potential for it to happen.

I don't believe we'll be too hesitant to make moves since we still have plenty of protection slots for forwards being used on guys like Larsson/Foligno.

And as for the D, adding right now may force us to expose Bogo, but I don't think that would prevent me from adding an upgrade to the top 4 now. 

I don't believe we'll be too hesitant to make moves since we still have plenty of protection slots for forwards being used on guys like Larsson/Foligno.

If we get a serious upgrade at LHD (say we trade for Fowler or sign Yandle or Goligoski) then what are the chances that we opt to protect 8 skaters and a goalie instead. I may be tempted to.

Yandle (or other LHD upgrade)

Ristolainen

McCabe

Bogosian

O'Reilly

Kane

Girgensons

one of Ennis/Larsson/Foligno/Psysk/Carrier/or someone else

Edited by Drunkard

NHL Rumors Is saying we're the front runner for Vesey but Boston is still In the hunt.  Probably not too reliable BUT rather have them saying we're the front runner than otherwise. In related news, Eichel and Vesey have their first summer hockey league game tonight.  Pass Jack and then pass more!!

If we get a serious upgrade at LHD (say we trade for Fowler or sign Yandle or Goligoski) then what are the chances that we opt to protect 8 skaters and a goalie instead. I may be tempted to.

Yandle (or other LHD upgrade)

Ristolainen

McCabe

Bogosian

O'Reilly

Kane

Girgensons

one of Ennis/Larsson/Foligno/Psysk/Carrier/or someone else

Doesn't this expose Eichel and Reinhart? Or do I not understand the rules?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.