The 2016 Stanley Cup Finals

Eleven

I'm alright with Crosby getting the Conn Smythe. I think you could say it was a genuine toss-up on who deserved it and Crosby won out for being the guy who led the team to this win not only this season, but seasons leading up to it.

Pittsburgh was just pretty damn impressive this series, and I'm far from a fan. What's the take-away? Speed? Goal-tending? Coaching? They made a heavy weight SJ team look stupid and lucky. Murray was killer in net, but their D game was very supportive. The Penguin's possession game was enviable and every line looked like a threat. What do the Sabres need to beat that?

I think this series looks a lot different if the Kings or Hawks are in it. Experience matters, the Sharks looked like a totally different team in the Finals

Mind boggling.

Definitely. Kessel was worthy too, but Crosby was so important defensively as well, put up a good amount of points, and was their leader. He was their most valuable player. Look no further than today's game. Murray was good too but, didn't have that big of a workload this series.

With the Conn Smythe, Crosby has now done it all. Cements himself as best player of his generation, if he hadn't already.

They don't make it without Sid, either. 3 GWG in conference finals.

I still think Pillsbury deserved it, but you make a great case for Corsby. I forgot about the 3 GWG's in the conference finals. 

Better team won. I agree on the Conn Smythe, JJ.

If anything, Sullivan deserved the Conn Smythe. The fact that they won the Cup because of a solid team game says wonders for the head coach. There weren't any standouts, everybody contributed. Sullivan took that team from the mess they were to the best team in the league over the last few months. 

I think this series looks a lot different if the Kings or Hawks are in it. Experience matters, the Sharks looked like a totally different team in the Finals

The Kings would have been steam-rolled. Can't say the same about Chicago, but I suspect Pittsburgh would have broken down Chicago's defense over the course of 7 games.

Ya, I think this really was a case of the actual best team winning. The Penguins were dominant starting half-way through the season forward. It was a total team effort, and they were probably better all around than the 2009 team.

Just for fun, the NHL.com experts picks going into the final: https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-final-expert-picks/c-280834534

17/21 picked the Sharks, most saying Sharks in 6. Only 1 person had Pens in 6. Pretty good stuff.

-----

Excited for the offseason to get going - should be fun.

Edited by Thorny

I'm not sure that the Pens provide a model or forecast for future success. Pretty unique assemblage there. Anyway, they for sure deserved to win.

Also, the booing of Bettman never gets old, and the fans who stayed for the Cup presentation acquitted themselves very well.

Well that's good, its over with, now the offseason can commence.  I loathe the Pittsburgh Penguins, but Congrats, you earned it.  Ready for the draft and to see what Tim Murray does to blow our expectations out of the water this offseason!

I'm not sure I feel strongly enough about the Conn Smythe to debate who should have won, but I know I wanted Kessel to win purely for Toronto's tears.

Fun fact about leafs fans, A baby elephant can weigh up to 268 pounds when born, there is only one bigger baby and that is a leafs fan.

I thought this was pretty interesting:

Matt Larkin @THNMattLarkin

Past five Cup champions' rankings in score-adjusted Corsi: 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. Tough for even greatest skeptics not to see correlation.

So I guess we need to figure out what kinda players get you there in score-adjusted Corsi.

Taro is still waiting for the puck to drop.

The other one?

I want to be up at 630.  Ergo, I want to be in bed right now.  I know this is repetitive, but dammit, NHL.

You might be the only one.  Then again I finished the game and was up at 5:45.  No one is watching the game when its in the middle of the day and they need to start late enough to pull in the West Coast viewers.

It really is an unacceptable stat. I don't give a ###### if they're blocking everything. You have to find a way to get shots through. 2 shots!!! Ppppffffftttt

You really have to credit the level of shot blocking that Pittsburgh had and not necessarily blame the Sharks.  The Sharks could not get the puck into space.  

The level of hockey that the Pens played was incredible. I don't like them but holy crap were they good... really good.  I am sure there will be stats that will come out to show it.

All I saw was a Pens team that let the Sharks play their speed generating passing style and lulled them into carefully controlled spaces where they could force the turnover and use their actual speed to dominate.  Congratulations to them... now I just don't want to hear anymore about them. :)

And let the goalie controversy begin.

I thought this was pretty interesting:

Matt Larkin @THNMattLarkin

Past five Cup champions' rankings in score-adjusted Corsi: 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. Tough for even greatest skeptics not to see correlation.

So I guess we need to figure out what kinda players get you there in score-adjusted Corsi.

And the style of play. The Sharks were down a goal in the 3rd and continuously dumped the puck out of their zone into the neutral zone to change. They got absolutely hammered because of it. Also, Sullivan did not Alamo mode, he did the exact opposite. It was very good coaching by the Pens

And let the goalie controversy begin.

I'm not sure there even is one. Murray won that job, and Fleury is a big cap hit. Zatkoff has proven to be a good #2 anyways, invest your UFA money in him and unload Fleury to some desperate team like the Flames if you can

And the style of play. The Sharks were down a goal in the 3rd and continuously dumped the puck out of their zone into the neutral zone to change. They got absolutely hammered because of it. Also, Sullivan did not Alamo mode, he did the exact opposite. It was very good coaching by the Pens

I'm not sure the Pens could have Alamo'd if they wanted to, they were just that much better. Which is really incredible because San Jose has a heck of a team.

Does this change anyone's opinion of Bylsma?

Yes. It does. For me, most definitely.

So apparently the Pens have already damaged the base of the Cup.

Which is fine, because its probably gonna get even more damaged when Kessel uses it as a barbeque in the parking lot of the Air Canada Centre.

Kessel just looked so awkward hoisting the Cup.   Or maybe it was me, just something I thought was impossible became a reality. 

Pittsburgh played an awesome series and won the cup with style.

Great hockey of a great team with three incredible offendive lines and a surprising goalie talent.

I wanted the Sharks to win, because of the beard of Joe Thorton, but if you see such superior hockey in the whole series, I think it is ok to chang your mind and congratulate them for their great entertainment and success.

Lets go Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.