Favourite Memories from the 2015-16 Season

Randall Flagg

I had a blast watching this team grow while learning many things from the wonderful people on this board. Realizing that O'Reilly is like Drury but slightly better at hockey, watching Sam Reinhart grow immensely (and become so skilled at something that wasn't EVER mentioned on any scouting report, his net-front presence), Risto putting up forty points from the back end with the toughest minutes you could hand a guy, Larsson's emergence as a shut-down 3C and his line's dominance throughout the back half of the season, Chad somehow being a rock every night, matching every goof with a Hasek-like stop. Hope for next season growing greater as each game passed by. 

The moments that will stick with me the most, though, are the following, and yes, they all have to do with that guy I haven't mentioned yet:

Jack's first NHL goal had me jumping up and down during a hockey game for the first time since Ennis' overtime winner in Philly in game five, and second since Drury tied that Rangers game with 7.7 seconds left. It put real tears in my eyes, and so did reading this board's immediate reactions to it, the link to which I'll post below the video. Sharing that moment with all of you after what we went through the two seasons prior was special.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23659-gdt-ottawa-buffalo-7pm-edt-10082015/page-11?do=findComment&comment=736104

Then, two games later, Jack shrugged off Boone Jenner like nothing, walked in, and sniped again. We couldn't believe it.

The Sabrespace reaction to this one was even better: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23674-gdt-columbus-buffalo-3pm-edt-10122015/page-5?do=findComment&comment=737841

My favorite was this gem from That Aud Smell:

"I'm sorry to drop in without reading the posts. I will later. Promise.

I just want to say that, when Eichel got to that loose puck, I stood up off the couch, put hands to the head and bellowed "Noooo, he didn't!" (Like, in delighted disbelief.) Scared the crap out of the kids, some of whom were unsure whether 15 had done something wrong.

Then the goal. The kids hooted and hollered. I was still standing in the middle of the room, staring. In disbelief. One of the little ones asked, a little frightened?, "Are you okay?"

"I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that kid is a Sabre." "

Then, one last time, Jack had me going ballistic. Kane does that silly, yet surprisingly effective, backhand clear where he tries to hit the ceiling, Eichel skates into it with four seconds left, and buries the Hurricanes. Every single thing about this goal gives me chills. The crowd getting louder as they realize he has a shot, and slowly rising to their feet as they watch. Listen to RJ's voice as he makes the call. He's vintage RJ, his voice has just the right amount of tension, 100% business. The security guy behind him and Rayzor sneaks forward to take a peak, and as the puck goes in, slides back into the shadows. I almost broke a bone celebrating that one because I tripped over furniture. 

Sabrespace reaction again, because it's fun to read: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24043-gdt-carolina-buffalo-100-pm-et-3122016/page-5?do=findComment&comment=808419

Thanks for the memories, Sabrespace friends. Which ones are your favorites?

Edited by Randall Flagg

I knew we had something special when he took it to the middle against Tampa and shrugged off a defender in the process. There was chatter about being fragile, and that was the proof that he was not afraid. Last night he had every right to shoot and he feathers one to Sam who with his uncanny tip skills redirects it in. I couldn't bank on Sam doing that but Jack did. And Sam delivered.

The anticipation that something could happen every time Jack has the puck is a level of excitement I haven't had since Perreault. Great all around play and leadership from ROR. Smart plays and hands of Reinhart. Risto with solid D and starting to get some grit. Heavy game and forechecking from DLo and Kane. Even Gionta getting his game together in the 2nd half of season. And the honesty of GMTM, who I expect will make more moves to put the team in the playoff race next season.

That second one you listed against Columbus was the most eye opening to me. You can only do something like that when you're the best player on the ice.

The OT dagger that he scored against the Hurricanes was my favorite because, like I mentioned in that GDT, I knew the game was over as soon as he got that puck on his stick.

Also, the post game fight at the end of the game in Arizona during the parents trip was up there for me, too. That's around when I think the season really turned around.

I can't wait for next year.

Watching Eichel become everything we thought he would be and then some, watching Reinhart develop into a bonafide rock solid #2 center, watching this team come together at the end of the year and getting excited for next year to start already...We are gonna get better from simply all the young players getting another offseason to grow, from some FA talent Murray will likely add and potentially from the draft and draft day trades....

I honestly wish we could just skip the playoffs(even though its my favorite time of the year) and just start next season already....this team is going to be a force within two years...we will be on the brink of the playoffs next year, possibly a playoff team and then the following year I would expect us to continue our ascension into a perennial playoff team heading toward Cup contention...

It's a great time to be a Sabres fan and its just getting started....

Edited by matter2003

I like the fact that the Sabres were at the top of the league in comebacks in the third period.  Now, granted, they were down a lot, but they kept fighting to get the tie or the win  That shows character and grit.  Those charactristics are hard to find.

I enjoyed the roller coaster ride that is DD, the line juggling, the "system" the ups and downs we had all year

Various lean-too's and bunkers

The banishment of GODD and the resurgence of our eichel of GDT (WildCard)

The chemistry between eichel and reinhardt and O Reilly.

And much more

My favorite hands down was watching either just highlights or a game, cant remember, with my 4 year old daughter. I was explaining things to her and I knew she had no idea what I was talking about, but she kinda sensed my excitement with this team and everything. So she looked up at me and said 'I wanna play hockey on the ice, dad.'

This seasons resurgance as a team has made me obviously more enthusiastic about hockey and the future of our team, and now its being shared with my kids and that really just made my season.  

But as far as the Sabres go....Jacks OT winner with a second left was pretty choice.

The third period comebacks, the lack of quit on this roster. 

Watching the young guys grow with each game. 

As Dudacek said, the return of "Hope." 

Top 9 penalty kill. Top 11 power play. 

Solid road performances.

The end of 50 loss and -100 goal differential seasons.

The anticipation of I feel for season two of the Jack & Sam era. 

I had a blast watching this team grow while learning many things from the wonderful people on this board. Realizing that O'Reilly is like Drury but slightly better at hockey, watching Sam Reinhart grow immensely (and become so skilled at something that wasn't EVER mentioned on any scouting report, his net-front presence), Risto putting up forty points from the back end with the toughest minutes you could hand a guy, Larsson's emergence as a shut-down 3C and his line's dominance throughout the back half of the season, Chad somehow being a rock every night, matching every goof with a Hasek-like stop. Hope for next season growing greater as each game passed by. 

The moments that will stick with me the most, though, are the following, and yes, they all have to do with that guy I haven't mentioned yet:

Jack's first NHL goal had me jumping up and down during a hockey game for the first time since Ennis' overtime winner in Philly in game five, and second since Drury tied that Rangers game with 7.7 seconds left. It put real tears in my eyes, and so did reading this board's immediate reactions to it, the link to which I'll post below the video. Sharing that moment with all of you after what we went through the two seasons prior was special.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23659-gdt-ottawa-buffalo-7pm-edt-10082015/page-11?do=findComment&comment=736104

Then, two games later, Jack shrugged off Boone Jenner like nothing, walked in, and sniped again. We couldn't believe it.

The Sabrespace reaction to this one was even better: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23674-gdt-columbus-buffalo-3pm-edt-10122015/page-5?do=findComment&comment=737841

My favorite was this gem from That Aud Smell:

"I'm sorry to drop in without reading the posts. I will later. Promise.

I just want to say that, when Eichel got to that loose puck, I stood up off the couch, put hands to the head and bellowed "Noooo, he didn't!" (Like, in delighted disbelief.) Scared the crap out of the kids, some of whom were unsure whether 15 had done something wrong.

Then the goal. The kids hooted and hollered. I was still standing in the middle of the room, staring. In disbelief. One of the little ones asked, a little frightened?, "Are you okay?"

"I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that kid is a Sabre." "

Then, one last time, Jack had me going ballistic. Kane does that silly, yet surprisingly effective, backhand clear where he tries to hit the ceiling, Eichel skates into it with four seconds left, and buries the Hurricanes. Every single thing about this goal gives me chills. The crowd getting louder as they realize he has a shot, and slowly rising to their feet as they watch. Listen to RJ's voice as he makes the call. He's vintage RJ, his voice has just the right amount of tension, 100% business. The security guy behind him and Rayzor sneaks forward to take a peak, and as the puck goes in, slides back into the shadows. I almost broke a bone celebrating that one because I tripped over furniture. 

Sabrespace reaction again, because it's fun to read: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24043-gdt-carolina-buffalo-100-pm-et-3122016/page-5?do=findComment&comment=808419

Thanks for the memories, Sabrespace friends. Which ones are your favorites?

This was very well written.  To me it started at the draft.  Getting Eichel and Ryan O'Reilly was the start of a strong center group.  While there have been ups and downs in Jacks defensive game, he got harder to play against as the season went on.  O'Reilly taking Sam under his wing and teaching him how to prepare and being humble in everything he does. The improvement of Sam Reinhart around the net, getting faster, improved poise showed each and every game he played in the top six. Evander Kane provided swag and his tough work throughout every shift gave the team the rub they needed with self confidence.  

The Eichel swoop around Boone Jenner signifies the season to me.  In that you needed the creativity and skill to push the team over the top.  Also our goal tending between Ullmark, Johnson and Lehner were keeping us in games.  

Thanks, Randall F, for that shout-out. Very kind, and much appreciated.

I think that was my favourite memory of the season.

The other was being at the Vancouver game with the kids. I forget what Eichel did, but it got all the kids in my row to rise from their seats spontaneously (and a lot of the crowd as well). He didn't score, or the pass didn't result in a goal, but there were SEG's all over the place.

Against the Rangers, the Sabres were on the power play and New York cleared it back into the Buffalo zone. Eichel gave chase with a Ranger hot on his tail. Inside the blue line, Eichel threw on the brakes. He didn't stop on a dime, he stopped at the edge of a 10-dollar bill that was standing on edge. The Ranger went past him, his tires apparently failing the Lincoln Penny Test. As Eichel turned up ice with the puck, the Ranger did stop and literally disappeared into a cloud of snow, hitting the ice. The Sabres tweeted out an animated GIF of it. I will try and hunt it down.

Eichel made moves like that all season, some of which were self-preservatory in nature. Early in the season, he got his leg out of the way of the, uh, leg-hunting goon from Philly. Then of course he famously made like the Road Runner and made Johnny Boychuk of the Isles crash into the end boards instead of him, putting Boychuk on the shelf for a good bit and making Thomas Vanek's face almost look all not-Vaneky.

Against the Rangers, the Sabres were on the power play and New York cleared it back into the Buffalo zone. Eichel gave chase with a Ranger hot on his tail. Inside the blue line, Eichel threw on the brakes. He didn't stop on a dime, he stopped at the edge of a 10-dollar bill that was standing on edge. The Ranger went past him, his tires apparently failing the Lincoln Penny Test. As Eichel turned up ice with the puck, the Ranger did stop and literally disappeared into a cloud of snow, hitting the ice. The Sabres tweeted out an animated GIF of it. I will try and hunt it down.

Eichel made moves like that all season, some of which were self-preservatory in nature. Early in the season, he got his leg out of the way of the, uh, leg-hunting goon from Philly. Then of course he famously made like the Road Runner and made Johnny Boychuk of the Isles crash into the end boards instead of him, putting Boychuk on the shelf for a good bit and making Thomas Vanek's face almost look all not-Vaneky.

that pass he made to ROR passed the sliding Ranger d-man was breathtaking. If that was the same game. So glad Jack is a Sabre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.