Sabres at Devils 4-5-16 @7pm

spndnchz

I swear RJ just said 'he had to sh!t Devils left and right'

I just watched the highlights again. He definitely said sh!t Devils left and right. This paints a more accurate picture than "shedding" Devils. Edited by Stads

There has been quite a bit to enjoy. Aside from the obvious names, IMHO the McCabe-Bogo pair hasn't gotten much attention but has been very solid lately.

After the years of discord going back to the end of Lindy Ruff's reign, I think we've seen the team really bottom out in terms of talent, chemistry, effort, etc.  This year we haven't won that many games, but there is a lot more to like about the team.  The McCabe-Bogo pairing is one of them.  Are the best players ever?  Not even close, but they've developed some good chemistry.  The third line has been a great surprise.  I like to think we'll have three lines similar to our top three lines this year, with maybe one or two or three new guys, but the basic structure of the lines will be the same.  I like to think the 4th line will consist of some combination of rough guys like D-Lo and up-and-comers like Bailey and Fasching, and maybe a steady veteran like Leggy.  You can see the team is much closer to being good, not just in terms of having enough talent, but in terms of the talent being the right talent for each other (Reino & Eich possibly being the strongest example- two very different styles that just work great together.)

I know there's been a lot of frustration with DD and his myriad line combinations, but I think it helped him learn about the players on the team, and the team learn about his system.  I think he made them do stupidly simple stuff early on (like dump and chase) just to initiate them into his system.  Chemistry is great, but it's probably not nearly as important as knowing, and following, a good system.  Now that the system has been established, the team will be more robust when a player goes down; you can plug others into the system and even if the dynamic is different, they know what to expect from new linemates.  And if they're not fishing around for what works and play a real system, I think it's easier for the chemistry to develop.

After seeing the pains the team has gone through this year, I would declare it a success simply because they will start out further along the learning curve next year and can start out jogging in stead of crawling, and hit their stride earlier in the year.

I think Gionta gives ROR the C. Just a gut feeling. He has no obligation to so I won't be upset if he doesn't of course.

Maybe before the opener next year, Gionta gives ROR the C and takes ROR's A, thus effectively passing the torch onto the next group. Then he can lead still but enjoy what would likely be his last NHL season

Not sure why though. Catch Panarin? Or just to win tonight?

Trying to lock up 2nd place in rookie scoring above Domi. :)

I think winning is important. It means we are getting better. The goal this year was improvement. I hope they win the last two.

Cheers! :beer:

With this win over NJ, the 2015-16 Sabres just tied the beloved 2005-06 squad for the third best standings points improvement from the previous season (25 points) in franchise history. The top 2, tied at 37 points improvement, were the "Thank you Sabres!" team from year 3 and the Stanley Cup qualifying team from year 5.

Just a little fun historical perspective. Our Dwight Schrute-looking GM might be building something big here in Buffalo....

Typically there wouldn't be much value to it, but I fully expect a good start this coming season. These guys really seem to want to be here and are playing for each other. It's fun to watch the growth.

For the record I am not lamenting these wins.  I simply don't put much stock in late season meaningless wins (meaningless from a playoff perspective.)  A lot will change this offseason and I think there will be some new faces.  I do enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose.  Its entertainment to me and I love watching the Kids.  

For the record I am not lamenting these wins.  I simply don't put much stock in late season meaningless wins (meaningless from a playoff perspective.)  A lot will change this offseason and I think there will be some new faces.  I do enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose.  Its entertainment to me and I love watching the Kids.  

I think this is why the thread participation is down. I am guessing a slightly older, world-weary set of posters is doing a bit of eye-rolling. Kind of like the Bills starting 2-5 and finishing 8-8. Been there, done that. It's all well and good, but let's see how they start next season. At least the lowered expectation game is almost gone. Come the holidays we'll have pretty good clarity about where things stand.

Kind of like the Bills starting 2-5 and finishing 8-8. Been there, done that. 

What's happening now feels altogether different to me than the Bills meandering their way to 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

Someone mentioned that this feels a little like April 2004. Different circumstances, personnel, and trajectory, but I tend to agree.

What's happening now feels altogether different to me than the Bills meandering their way to 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

Someone mentioned that this feels a little like April 2004. Different circumstances, personnel, and trajectory, but I tend to agree.

If there were more signature wins, I might feel a little different.

If there were more signature wins, I might feel a little different.

I know what you mean, but there haven't been many crushing defeats either.

And those seven come-from-behind in the third period wins mean something too.

This team seems to rarely throw in the towel.

Not sure why though. Catch Panarin? Or just to win tonight?

It will be interesting to see how the Calder voting goes this season.    Panarin, a 24 year old, playing in his 8th year of professional hockey, playing alongside the best offensive player in the game.     How many points would Eichel or Larkin have on a line with Kane?     McDavid averaging > 1 pt/gm.    Eichel missing only 1 game, second in rookie points only to Panarin.   

6 games over .500 in our last 39. With the time major players have missed, and how ###### our blue line is, that is very impressive

Is it October yet?

Yeah I like the progress late in the season.   Hopefully guys like Larsson and Foligno can pickup where they left off, need more of that seconary scoring on a consistent basis.   Larsson finished 2014-15 on a tear, but was invisible until the second half of 15-16.   

I think Gionta gives ROR the C. Just a gut feeling. He has no obligation to so I won't be upset if he doesn't of course.

I was hoping for that this year to be honest.  It's kind of a romantic notion that there would be such a passing of the torch.  Coming into this season I wanted to see that because I viewed Gionta as a Hab that just came home to close out his career.  This year he's become a Sabre in my eyes and deserves the C as long as he wants it.  He sets a great example for the younger players and still fills a valuable role on the team.

Would have been very strange for Gionta to hand O'Reilly the C w/ no previous tie to the team, IMHO. This team doesn't/didn't have the leadership void Rivet walked into. That said, I could definitely see Gionta handing the C over either this off-season or next at the latest.

Hopefully not April (they ended w/ a loss in both those games). ;) But they had one of the (if not the) best records from January - March that year.

Hopefully not April (they ended w/ a loss in both those games). ;) But they had one of the (if not the) best records from January - March that year.

Right, right. I guess I meant the entirety of the second half of that season.

(I also just realized that Briere was acquired in March 2003, not 2004.)

Larsson finished 2014-15 on a tear, but was invisible until the second half of 15-16.   

I'm hoping that it's all the right things coming together...... vet leadership, young guys bringing enthusiasm, trusting your brothers in arms....... next season the process will be further along.....

I do know that this year I'm sad to see the Sabres season end, and last year it couldn't end fast enough...............

With this win over NJ, the 2015-16 Sabres just tied the beloved 2005-06 squad for the third best standings points improvement from the previous season (25 points) in franchise history. The top 2, tied at 37 points improvement, were the "Thank you Sabres!" team from year 3 and the Stanley Cup qualifying team from year 5.

Just a little fun historical perspective. Our Dwight Schrute-looking GM might be building something big here in Buffalo....

Thanks for those stats, FF. Really cool factoid there.

Panarin is made better by his teammates. Eichel is making his Sabres teammates better.

To be fair, Kane has never come close to 100 points in a season before playing with Panarin. Obviously Kane is the more important of the two, but it's not like Panarin is a total passenger either. 

To be fair, Kane has never come close to 100 points in a season before playing with Panarin. Obviously Kane is the more important of the two, but it's not like Panarin is a total passenger either. 

Panarin looks a lot like a right-shot Patrick Kane on the ice. His vision/shot/offensive instincts are definitely spectacular, even if Kane is helping to bump his point totals up a bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.