GDT: Buffalo @ Carolina, 7:00 pm est, 3-22-2016

WildCard

The kid line was awful tonight defensively.

It was sweet watching Larry making him his bitch. Twice.

I know the popular choice is to put Reinhart at center but unless he improves drastically on the defensive side, I just don't see him as anything but a very good winger

RJ wasn't very crisp tonight. Called a couple of clear Johnson saves as "going wide" or having "help from the post" when neither happened. His tone of voice never changed during the PK clear that Legwand almost scored on, almost as if Rick didn't realize Legwand had a wide open net. Then mixing up more Sabres players than usual. Oh well.

Didn't realize how bad the Sabre broadcast has become until I started watching the other teams feeds. One the picture is almost always better and I can't quite understand this but also flipping back and forth on the Carolina feed, what a gigantic difference on their broadcast team. They actually knew the names of our players, where they played before and gave a pretty accurate account of our players strengths and weaknesses. They were very complementary of most our players but in particular Johnson. Even described his play and positioning. Switched back to the Buffalo feed and unless there was a fight, the entire play by play and color was from a Sabre name or view point. They even mentioned with a touch of reverence RJ and what a thrill it was to talk to him before the game.

I'm worried about Zemgus now, as he seems to be in a prolonged slump. Zemgus not being a long term fixture in our top 6 means we will definitely need to add another forward.

considering it would allow us GMTM to focus the majority of his off season energy and upgrade our biggest area of need, the defense.

..............I still want Stamkos, though. :lol:

Kane takes the majority of hits for everything that doesn't go right but Zemgus should be getting the abuse. He blows 2-3 great opportunities every game. Wide open in the slot one time and he doesn't realize it and passed it out to the D. So disappointing, I was expecting him to really pick it up this year.

I'm coming around to us needing help on D more than a forward. Pysyk hasn't stepped up and Colaiacovo has to be replaced next year, Gorges stepping down a pairing also. I'm far from a bunkerite but we need major improvement with getting the puck out of our zone.

As for the bolded it probably won't happen because WildCard, JJ and TrueBlue think having 7 Girgensons' production may be more cost effective than having one Stamkos. :P

Et tu, Swamp?

No, just being silly.

Nice. After all these years, it's still fun taking over their building, even in a game between two irrelevant teams. Somewhere tonight Luke DeCock is seething, and for that I am thankful.

This tweet was great. as well as this Canes fan's response.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=115774201&postcount=106

No, just being silly.

Ha, that's great! I wish I had got in on that one. There was a healthy dose of Sabres fans in my section, and things got a little testy after the Skinner scrum, but overall things were tame....and then the quieted Caniacs streamed for the exits after two late Sabre tallies. Fun.

Ha, that's great! I wish I had got in on that one. There was a healthy dose of Sabres fans in my section, and things got a little testy after the Skinner scrum, but overall things were tame....and then the quieted Caniacs streamed for the exits after two late Sabre tallies. Fun.

Awesome, you Sabre Fans sounded like we had home ice advantage last night, it was great to hear

They start their GDT with "....."

Pretty much aptly sums up the Canes' fans' passion right there  :lol:

Huh, I was not aware that even the Canes fans know that we're going to pillage them

That Canes thread was fun.

It feels good our team can inspire that level of hate.

What they were saying about Risto warms my heart.

RJ wasn't very crisp tonight. Called a couple of clear Johnson saves as "going wide" or having "help from the post" when neither happened. His tone of voice never changed during the PK clear that Legwand almost scored on, almost as if Rick didn't realize Legwand had a wide open net. Then mixing up more Sabres players than usual. Oh well.

The "shauu-ooooores" was weird on the Colaiacovo goal.

I noticed the same thing. I watched some on TV, listened to some on radio. On TV, I noticed how a couple of times he completely lost sight of the flow of play. On the radio, there was a breakdown going against the Sabres (with a semi breakaway) late in the third, and I had no idea who had the puck until a few seconds later.

Ah, well.

More and more, I'm coming around on the guy. So much so, that I may not have any major concerns with him as a top 6 forward.

Murray likes to describe guys as "impact players" a lot of the time. Kane's presence on the ice is huge whenever he's out there, and I think he has more of an "impact" than a lot of top six wingers on good teams. I still think he's eventually going to form a killer "third" line with Larsson, and if we have enough talent to push him to that spot, our forwards will be ready to go deep into spring.

No, just being silly.

This was pretty good:

:handclap: that's amazing

And in all seriousness this game was necessary. Our collective hatred for Buffalo had all but disappeared. I learned how to hate all over again tonight.

I know the popular choice is to put Reinhart at center but unless he improves drastically on the defensive side, I just don't see him as anything but a very good winger

Is the consensus that Sam Reinhart is a poor defensive player? I haven't heard this before and haven't noticed. Given his hockey IQ, I find it hard to believe.

I noticed the same thing. I watched some on TV, listened to some on radio. On TV, I noticed how a couple of times he completely lost sight of the flow of play. On the radio, there was a breakdown going against the Sabres (with a semi breakaway) late in the third, and I had no idea who had the puck until a few seconds later.

Ah, well.

Anybody ever break into just-for-fun play by play during a game? I did last night, and I was recording it because I was going to send it to one of our fellows who sends me his play by play. I won't name names, because I don't think he's mentioned it here. He's pretty good. Anyway, I got four seconds in and I called Carolina Edmonton. No clue why. It's hard. Not making excuses for Rick, but even when it's done in a mediocre fashion, and that's pretty rare for RJ, it's a freakin' miracle.

I will say this about the hf canes, they suggested going after Reinhart to send the message to Buffalo. After seeing how pissed Bogo got after Phaneuf tried that I'm not sure it would have worked.

What message, that they are sore losers? Pretty bush league of them IMO

Another Carolina post called Risto "Rasmus Christmasmorning" :w00t:

Yeah, buffalo's present

Ah, well.

Next year he should be a "guest" announcer for a handful of games. Love RJ but he's slipping more every game lately it seems.

Is the consensus that Sam Reinhart is a poor defensive player? I haven't heard this before and haven't noticed. Given his hockey IQ, I find it hard to believe.

I don't think it's a consensus, like you said his hockey IQ alone will remedy that. Kids a rookie, wait till he grows a little stronger in the off season program.

I actually think Reinhart's defensive zone play has improved a lot over the course of this season. He's fairly solid.

True.  Everyone once in a while there's a bad read on a rush (same with Girgs).  I suspect all the young guys will be watching a lot of tape in the offseason.

He's actually very good in the defensive zone

IMO for what it's worth, I don't think he's a bad defender per se especially as a winger and once he's in a zone but at least to me a center has to cover a lot more ice than a winger does and in this point in his progression he'll never be a ROR. Eichel's speed advantage will make him as good as he wants to be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.