GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo, 7:30 pm est, 3-1-2016

WildCard

Kane with Eichel and Samson.

Does Bylsma even watch the games or just cobble together random lines and hope for the best?

Hopefully the latter. If he's actually watching and thinking and this is what he comes up with...

And seriously why is Samson back on wing? These last 20 games should be 100% about development. He struggled at center, but what is there to gain by putting him back on wing? 20 games at center in a scoring role would really help evaluate his position going forward.

Hey, I saw Kane actually make TWO, countem, TWO passes to Eichel the other night.

GO SABRES!!!

Were you as drunk as the rest of us while watching? :p

Why is Risto not on the top PP unit with Eichel? Come on DD.

Risto struggling lately at even strength = strip him of PP time. It's Disco's world, we're all just living in it.

For those of you who follow the rest of the NHL, I posit the following question:

How did Edmonton fare during the deadline? Did they trade away players for assets? Did they strip down and have to call up some bodies from the AHL to fill some gaps or did the trades bring in players with the intent of helping their roster?

I really want the Sabres to mop the floor with the proverbial face of Edmonton but I fear that McDavid is going to outshine Eichel today and put on quite the show. I hope it's the opposite but Buffalo sports have a way of bringing out the pessimist in me.

For those of you who follow the rest of the NHL, I posit the following question:

How did Edmonton fare during the deadline? Did they trade away players for assets? Did they strip down and have to call up some bodies from the AHL to fill some gaps or did the trades bring in players with the intent of helping their roster?

I really want the Sabres to mop the floor with the proverbial face of Edmonton but I fear that McDavid is going to outshine Eichel today and put on quite the show. I hope it's the opposite but Buffalo sports have a way of bringing out the pessimist in me.

McDavid is clearly on a different level than Eichel and that will probably be on full display tonight. At least we got one of the two though....

McDavid is clearly on a different level than Eichel and that will probably be on full display tonight. At least we got one of the two though....

I think McDavid is like P Kane and Eichel is like Toews. One has more skill but the other will be the better team leader.

Scanning through the trades, it seems like a bunch of Edmonton D shipped out and some picks and a few forwards came back including our old friend Zack Concept of Kassian. They swapped out a G too, but I think those are backups. I don't recognize most of the names, which speaks largely to my ignorance of the NHL in general but it's possible several of those players were AHL-level. I'm not sure what EDM is up to, since it seems like they need D (at least most years). Maybe they decided the D they had weren't going to cut it so they fire-saled everything and they'll move some big forward pieces for D after the season.

God almighty, that lineup is fairly ass.

Little Valley > Great Valley

/ducks

Yeah, I don't think I realized that our record really does reflect the talent on this team. I would say we are about halfway through this rebuild and unless some MAJOR pieces are added this Summer, playoffs are probably not coming until 2017 season.

I flipping love your gameday threads Wildcard, including this one, but tonight my focus is not on a win. It is on watching what we all hope is Lemieux v. Gretzky compete in their rookie year. How cool is that? If Connor and Jack get me out of my seat a few times I will be happy on the drive home.

Also, this was my first choice in this year's ticket draft...Taking my father to the game, and cannot wait for face off. 

Go Sabres.

Hot damn, great gameday thread wild.

I'm going to this game, too. Can't wait. I want Eichels first hatty.

Wildcard once again you outdid yourself. Great pep rally and at the most opportune time. I haven't lost faith buddy. I'm right there with ya. Wish I was at the game but I'll be there in spirit. Go Sabres !

Agee with this 100% wild, another great game day thread opener.

Super GD intro WC..... kudos

This'll be fun to watch...... but Samson's gonna steal the show!

Much appreciated guys  :beer:  :thumbsup:

And seriously why is Samson back on wing? These last 20 games should be 100% about development. He struggled at center, but what is there to gain by putting him back on wing? 20 games at center in a scoring role would really help evaluate his position going forward.

Really though, this blows my mind

John Shannon on Hockey Central discussing the failures of Edmonton and the difference between Buffalo/Florida and Edmonton and he says it's all about leadership and being thrust into major roles players aren't ready for.He points to Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, and ROR with us and Jagr and friends in Florida and says that's the reason for how terrible Edmonton has ended.

Look for Larsson's line to play McDavid all night

I hope we can demonstrate, on home ice, that we're clearly the better team than Edmonton tonight.  

Losing doesn't mean we're not, they play a very different game than us, one predicated upon speed, and our defense is soooooo slow

I'm actually glad Risto goes to unit 2, he can really get the point shot through. Stick Gionta in front, who seems to be the second-best shot-deflector on the team. Hopefully Eich and Sammy can make unit 1 work.

I think we win our next four games. I do wish that Bailey/Schaller had gotten the call over Cat/COR, but I understand why that wasn't the case.

Even with this ugly lineup, I've watched Edmonton this year, and I think we'll beat them. Worst defense I've ever seen. 

Not much you can do to make the lines look good at this point, but I'd do something like:

Girgensons-Eichel-Moulson

Kane-Reinhart-COR (This is where I wish it was Bailey)

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Des-Legwand-Cat

I'd put Larsson against the Draisaitl and Hall line, because I think that one will have the most consistent pressure and will be the most effective at breakouts and establishing offensive zone possession. I'd have Reinhart's against McDavid (Kane has the best combination of speed and defensive awareness, and can lean on Connor a bit, keep him on his toes with some checks) and then would expect Eichel and Zemgus to feast on whatever junk Edmonton has left to throw out there.

Can't take penalties, McD and Eberle will kill us if we give them PP time.

RJ is back. I hope this is the best game of the year, and I have a feeling Jack and Connor are ready to make it be.

Losing doesn't mean we're not, they play a very different game than us, one predicated upon speed, and our defense is soooooo slow

I donno, with Franson out of the lineup it's not that bad.  Risto, Pysyk and Bogo I would say are above average skaters and McCabe is atleast average.  I'm so glad Franson isn't playing though.  He would have a few pylon moments out there for sure.

John Shannon on Hockey Central discussing the failures of Edmonton and the difference between Buffalo/Florida and Edmonton and he says it's all about leadership and being thrust into major roles players aren't ready for.He points to Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, and ROR with us and Jagr and friends in Florida and says that's the reason for how terrible Edmonton has ended.

Makes sense

Wow I know they have a couple of injuries but the Oil are rolling Zack Kassian on their top line with Hall and Draisaitl.  Zack.  Kassian.

https://twitter.com/DailyFaceoff/status/704708336302698496/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I can't believe GMTM traded away a top-line forward for Cody Hodgson! (double ;))

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.