TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

For that to be considered relevant to the discussion we shouldn't compare how many played 100 games, but how many have played 400+ games and have scored close to 20 goals/82 game pace over the last 3 years.

I bet the percentages drop considerably.

If that's the game you want to play we should just compare the next 19 games Mcginn plays to all 3rd picks. I mean that's what we lost right? 19 games of him. If a 3rd round pick played 19 games and scores x points a game that would be the rate in this scenario.

If that's the game you want to play we should just compare the next 19 games Mcginn plays to all 3rd picks. I mean that's what we lost right? 19 games of him. If a 3rd round pick played 19 games and scores x points a game that would be the rate in this scenario.

I didn't know we were playing a game. Although it does make sense because nobody will be happy unless they win.  :angel:

I was just going along with the guidelines previously set by the comparison. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I didn't know we were playing a game. Although it does make sense because nobody will be happy unless they win. :angel:

I was just going along with the guidelines previously set by the comparison.

I don't view trading Mcginn as a win loss type thing. Very neutral.

I think you changed the guidelines because of making the pick having to be worth Mcginn's entire career.

The guidelines were never meant to be a comparison... Especially considering comparing an entire career to, as Liger pointed out, the reality that a 19-game comparison would be most fair.

It was meant to show what our newest asset could be.

I don't view trading Mcginn as a win loss type thing. Very neutral.

I think you changed the guidelines because of making the pick having to be worth Mcginn's entire career.

Yes, his entire career up to this point. Hoss compared 3rd rounders who have played 100 games in their career as a parameter in comparing trading McGinn for a 3rd round pick. McGinn isn't a 100 game 3rd rounder, he is a borderline 2nd liner who has played over 400 games and will never see the AHL again .... A 100 game 3rd rounder is a 4th liner/injury call up.

If a comparison is made between McGinn and successful 3rd rounders, you need to adjust the percentages so it includes 400+ game 3rd rounders because you're comparing McGinn. Not just randomly select 100 games as the parameter because it equates to a more preferable percentage.

If you want to compare the players that have scored 500+ goals in their career, you don't come up with a list of everybody that has scored 150+ goals and say look how many 500 goal scorers there are.

Has the past 7 years of cheering for the Sabres caused you to be depressed :(, panic attacks :unsure:, obsessive compulsive disorders :wallbash:, writing on topics that your least favorite Sabres just plain suck or you have the need to post in the Presidential Politics thread??? May I recommend a product that may have plenty of side effects but is known to work...... Prozac. Please take 2 tablets before posting so we can possibly have an upbeat SabreSpace again.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Yes, his entire career up to this point. Hoss compared 3rd rounders who have played 100 games in their career as a parameter in comparing trading McGinn for a 3rd round pick. McGinn isn't a 100 game 3rd rounder, he is a borderline 2nd liner who has played over 400 games and will never see the AHL again .... A 100 game 3rd rounder is a 4th liner/injury call up.

If a comparison is made between McGinn and successful 3rd rounders, you need to adjust the percentages so it includes 400+ game 3rd rounders because you're comparing McGinn. Not just randomly select 100 games as the parameter because it equates to a more preferable percentage.

If you want to compare the players that have scored 500+ goals in their career, you don't come up with a list of everybody that has scored 150+ goals and say look how many 500 goal scorers there are.

The 100 game threshold is kinda a standard for saying a draft pick hit.

As for the rest, I wouldn't use an entire career because you didn't trade that away. You traded away his last 20 games. If that pick does just that you got value for an asset we weren't keeping.

For those bemoaning the loss of McGinn:  I listened to GMTM's post-deadline presser last night.  He made it pretty clear that he'd be interested in signing McGinn this summer at the right price.

I'm not sure it's the loss of McGinn per se. It's what this move represents. We're still sellers.

I'm not sure it's the loss of McGinn per se. It's what this move represents. We're still sellers.

We are moving towards, but are not yet at the point of being buyers.

At least we only sold two serviceable, but not really good parts, that at least in theory could be brought back.  I seriously doubt they will be, as I am pretty much convinced that when the Sabres truly are Cup (not cusp) contenders the likes of Weber and McGinn would not be on the roster.  I like them both, but not on a Sabre team taking a legit shot at a cup.

We are moving towards, but are not yet at the point of being buyers.

At least we only sold two serviceable, but not really good parts, that at least in theory could be brought back.  I seriously doubt they will be, as I am pretty much convinced that when the Sabres truly are Cup (not cusp) contenders the likes of Weber and McGinn would not be on the roster.  I like them both, but not on a Sabre team taking a legit shot at a cup.

Yes to this.

I think we both have a liking of the *person* more than the player he is. I feel emotional attachment to them as humans, wish they could be on a Sabres cup team. But this is what Darcy does/did. We won't win with that mentality. They where both no longer on the team when *that* Sabres team arrived we have all been waiting for.

We are haggling over the amount of time till they needed replaced.

I'll miss McGinn and his ability to score the dirty goal. I don't see too many of our fancy dans doing that. I hope they can resign him in the off season.

That was supposed to be moulsons talent, crash the net, go into the dirty areas and score 20 goals :(

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.