TRADE: Jamie McGinn traded to Anaheim

Hoss

From the basement while eating hot pockets.

Gotta paint the whole picture.

Edit:

:P

had to throw one of these little guys out there.  

I don't think anything will ever be funnier to me than IKP's hot pocket rant. I still laugh every time I read it  :lol:

Again, as I mentioned three or four times, what is a 3rd rounder going to buy? Do you really think that sways the deal for a blockbuster trade? What are we going to do with six 3rd round picks in two years, restock Rochester?

Well, this year 3rd round picks bought the rentals of Martin Gelinas, Justin Schultz, Mike, Weber, and Teddy Purcell. A couple other trades were a 2nd and a 4th, maybe those trades swing the Sabres way if they're in on it and offer a 3rd to beat out someone else's 4th.

Values have changed. a 1st round pick is pure gold and gets traded less. So the standard currency in the NHL is a 2nd round pick. If you can get a 2nd for a rental you are doing well. 3rd rounders are the next best. Because of the cap and how valuable a cost controlled 1st round pick player is, no one wants to deal those for rentals at the deadline anymore. Because of this the value of the other round picks has increased. That said a 3rd round pick has a what? 15% chance of playing 100 NHL games?  Murray has 6 but I doubt that he takes 6 players with those 3rd picks over the next 2 drafts. I would guess we may take 3 players and the rest of those picks will get moved.  I would also like to point out we could get lucky and end up with a 2nd for McGinn. I understand though that the "we want better now" people would still be frustrated by that.

Well, this year 3rd round picks bought the rentals of Martin Gelinas, Justin Schultz, Mike, Weber, and Teddy Purcell. A couple other trades were a 2nd and a 4th, maybe those trades swing the Sabres way if they're in on it and offer a 3rd to beat out someone else's 4th.

OK, I can get in line with that. But most of those picks were used to get rentals. By the time the Sabres are actually in a position to need rentals, those 3rd are going to be long gone.

I see your point, I just don't see 3rd round picks as significant pieces of a big trade.

I'd love to be proven wrong. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

OK, I can get in line with that. But most of those picks were used to get rentals. By the time the Sabres are actually in a position to need rentals, those 3rd are going to be long gone.

I see your point, I just don't see 3rd round picks as significant pieces of a big trade.

I agree, they're not a huge piece, but they might be enough to swing things. Hopefully at the end of next year we're in a position to need a rental player. :)

I think if those 3rd round picks are long gone by the time we need then Tim Murray failed at his job miserably.

They're not significant pieces of a big trade, much like Jamie McGinn himself wasn't a big piece in the trade that brought him to Buffalo in the first place.

Jonathan Ericsson 291st

Brian Elliott 291st

Jannik Hansen 287th

Adam Burish 282nd

Jaroslav Halak 271st

Matt Moulson 263rd

Mark Streit 262nd

Pekka Rinne 258th

Dustin Byfuglien 245th

Patric Hornqvist 230th

Pavol Demitra 227th

Vladimir Konstantinov 221st

Anson Carter 220th

Johan Hedberg 218th

Dave Taylor 210th

Ondrej Palat 208th

Dominik Hasek 207th

Anders Lindback 207th

Henrik Lundqvist 205th

Joe Pavelski 205th

Sergei Kostitsyn 200th

Arturs Irbe 196th

Brooks Laich 193rd

Vladimir Malakhov 191st

Mark Stone 178th

Ryane Clowe 175th

Luc Robitaille 171st

Theoren Fleury 166th

John-Michael Liles 159th

Peter Bondra 156th

Brendan Gallagher 147th

Andrew Shaw 139th

Doug Gilmour 134th

Kris Versteeg 134th

Daniel Alfredsson 133rd

Jamie Benn 129th

Steve Larmer 120th

Brett Hull 117th

Johnny Gaudreau 104th

Johan Franzen 97th

Valtteri Filppula 95th

Jonathan Quick 72nd

Cal Clutterbuck 72nd

Frederik Andersen 87th

More than a few of these guys are/have become good to great NHL players. All were picked in the 3rd round or after. Last year already produced a couple hopefuls in Borgen and Cornel. I trust in GMTM to find a couple more of these types in the next two drafts and if he does, Rochester will become better very soon. In turn, the Sabres will have the depth forwards for injury call ups and future trade bait for the deadlines when they are going for their cups.

I haven't read anything in this thread about the long term benefits of keeping McGinn.  I empathize with Weave that this is yet another lost season, but having McGinn around for the last ~20 games isn't going to tip the scales toward entertaining hockey for me.

Jaime McGinn is a 2nd-3rd line tweener with good offensive instincts who gives his all.  He's not a great 2 way player or anything, but I get the sense that he was a valuable veteran presence this year.  The young guys need to see that you can be an effective professional without being a crazy in one way or another (Kane, Lehner, O'Reilly).

He was an expiring contract.  Expiring contracts get traded.  If he can't get his payday in UFA I'm sure the Sabres'll be in the mix to sign him (just like they would be if they hadn't traded him).

Jonathan Ericsson 291st

Brian Elliott 291st

Jannik Hansen 287th

Adam Burish 282nd

Jaroslav Halak 271st

Matt Moulson 263rd

Mark Streit 262nd

Pekka Rinne 258th

Dustin Byfuglien 245th

Patric Hornqvist 230th

Pavol Demitra 227th

Vladimir Konstantinov 221st

Anson Carter 220th

Johan Hedberg 218th

Dave Taylor 210th

Ondrej Palat 208th

Dominik Hasek 207th

Anders Lindback 207th

Henrik Lundqvist 205th

Joe Pavelski 205th

Sergei Kostitsyn 200th

Arturs Irbe 196th

Brooks Laich 193rd

Vladimir Malakhov 191st

Mark Stone 178th

Ryane Clowe 175th

Luc Robitaille 171st

Theoren Fleury 166th

John-Michael Liles 159th

Peter Bondra 156th

Brendan Gallagher 147th

Andrew Shaw 139th

Doug Gilmour 134th

Kris Versteeg 134th

Daniel Alfredsson 133rd

Jamie Benn 129th

Steve Larmer 120th

Brett Hull 117th

Johnny Gaudreau 104th

Johan Franzen 97th

Valtteri Filppula 95th

Jonathan Quick 72nd

Cal Clutterbuck 72nd

Frederik Andersen 87th

More than a few of these guys are/have become good to great NHL players. All were picked in the 3rd round or after. Last year already produced a couple hopefuls in Borgen and Cornel. I trust in GMTM to find a couple more of these types in the next two drafts and if he does, Rochester will become better very soon. In turn, the Sabres will have the depth forwards for injury call ups and future trade bait for the deadlines when they are going for their cups.

I get what you're saying, but that's a list of 24 players spanning at least 25 years. If Tim Murray finds one of the handful of guys out of the 150 that'll be picked in the 3rd thru 7th round this year, hooray! But if none of the guys pan out, I'm not going to cry about it either.

They're long gone on June 26th 2016. Draft is the 24th and 25th.

3 of them at least will be gone but I bet murray does something with them. Move up in the draft, get a player, something. The 2017 ones I don't expect us to have most of those honestly.

^

I appreciate the effort on that list of the who's who among late round gems. But that's not unlike pinning hopes on finding an elite quarterback in the 6th round.

Right. That argument is never going to carry the day around here. And it shouldn't. Late round picks working out is not the norm.

3 of them at least will be gone but I bet murray does something with them. Move up in the draft, get a player, something. The 2017 ones I don't expect us to have most of those honestly.

Welcome back by the way

This team isn't loaded with prospects anymore. The extra picks will hopefully be used in trades, but I we have a full draft each year over the next two to stock up.

Looking at third rounds from 2005-2009 for skaters who have played 100 games or goalies who have played 50:

2009: Tyson Barrie, Brayden McNabb, Reilly Smith, Andrej Nestrasil, Kevin Connauton, Nic Deslauriers, Cody Eakin.

2008: Jori Lehtera, Mike Stone, Michael Hutchinson, Lance Bouma, Adam Henrique, Zack Smith.

2007: Drayson Bowman, Yannick Weber, Alex Killorn, Robert Bortuzzo, Joakim Andersson, Corey Tropp (Players in this round who DIDN'T play ANY NHL games but were worth the pick: Tyson Sexsmith and Luca Cunti).

2006: Brian Strait, Ryan White, Eric Gryba, Steve Mason, Brad Marchand, Cal Clutterbuck, Theo Peckham, Tom Sestito.

2005: Kris Letang, Kris Russell, Jonathan Quick, Cody Franson, Rich Clune, Ben Bishop, Mark Fraser, TJ Hensick.

There are a few active players approaching the number who could've been included with an asterisk but they'll get there. That's 35 players out of 150 picks or 23%. Just short of 1 of 4. We've got four thirds. If we use them all then odds say we'll get a player who plays at least 100 NHL games.

And it's a conditional third anyways. Could end up as a second.

The second round in that span:

2009: Ryan O'Reilly, Carl Klingberg, Kyle Clifford, Alex Chiasson, Jakob Silfverberg, Anton Lander, Robin Lehner, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, Eric Gelinas, Brandon Pirri, Tomas Tatar.

2008: Jacob Markstrom, Slava Voynov, Jake Allen, Roman Josi, Patrick Wiercioch, Justin Schultz, Zac Dalpe, Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, Marco Scandella, Jimmy Hayes.

2007: Eric Tangradi, PK Subban, Dana Tyrell, Nick Spaling, TJ Galiardi, Wayne Simmonds.

2006: Michal Neuvirth, Jamie McGinn, Cory Emmerton, Nikolai Kulemin, Jeff Petry, Jhonas Enroth, Shawn Matthias, Milan Lucic, Artem Anisimov, Mike Weber, Jesse Joensuu, Jamie McBain.

2005: James Neal, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Ondrej Pavelec, Justin Abdelkader, Taylor Chorney, Paul Stastny, Mike Blunden, Guillaume Latendresse, Mason Raymond, Adam McQuiad, Marc-Andre Cliche.

52 of 150 picks. Just over 33%. And more quality than above. I think these numbers are right at what I expected, but they're higher than some of the posts lamenting this pick seem to indicate.

Hoss -- now that is some excellent work.  Thanks.

I especially appreciated the reference to Cunti.

Separately:  it occurs to me that two 3rds could be packaged for a 2nd, or something like that.  In any case, as others have posted, it's pretty unlikely that the Sabres keep and use all of their zillion 3rds.

Hoss -- now that is some excellent work. Thanks.

I especially appreciated the reference to Cunti.

Separately: it occurs to me that two 3rds could be packaged for a 2nd, or something like that. In any case, as others have posted, it's pretty unlikely that the Sabres keep and use all of their zillion 3rds.

For that to be considered relevant to the discussion we shouldn't compare how many played 100 games, but how many have played 400+ games and have scored close to 20 goals/82 game pace over the last 3 years.

I bet the percentages drop considerably.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.