GDT: Boston @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 2-4-2016

WildCard

Don't apologize, you're certainly not off in left-field thinking those guys are JAG. McGinn seems to have a better chance of sticking, but I don't think Foligno quite has it. Still, that run with Ennis and Stafford is tantalizing if he could put that magic back together.

No need to apologize for a reasonable opinion just because people are disagreeing w/ it.

Thanks guys. Just didn't want to be the Debbie downer guy. It's just we have seen what those two have to offer and IMO its not much. I'm just ready for the influx of youth. Can't wait to see Hudson and Bailey in blue and gold. IMO Foligno on Jack's line is a waste and might even be a negative to Jack's development. Much rather see Larsson on his wing.

Thanks guys. Just didn't want to be the Debbie downer guy. It's just we have seen what those two have to offer and IMO its not much. I'm just ready for the influx of youth. Can't wait to see Hudson and Bailey in blue and gold. IMO Foligno on Jack's line is a waste and might even be a negative to Jack's development. Much rather see Larsson on his wing.

I'm as anxious to see Larsson leave as you are to see McGinn leave.

I thought the lines were pretty balanced last night, I'm glad they didn't change to give them a chance to develop some chemistry.

All 4 lines had net front presence last night, it'll be interesting to see what that little bitch chara does if that happens tonight.

Someone better set his ass straight if he starts crosschecking with abandon.

Reinhart with a 3 point night tonight.   They'll focus on eichel :p

Make it so

I'm as anxious to see Larsson leave as you are to see McGinn leave.

Man, sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different team/sport (insert analytics joke about not watching games here). I think Larsson is so much more important to what this team is trying to do than McGinn, that I have a hard time fathoming this sentiment. Larsson is doing really good work in a thankless job as the anchor of Bylsma's defensive line. Players who can play this role for Bylsma aren't a dime a dozen. Meanwhile, I think I can find McGinn types as cheap UFAs two weeks before camp opens.

Man, sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different team/sport (insert analytics joke about not watching games here). I think Larsson is so much more important to what this team is trying to do than McGinn, that I have a hard time fathoming this sentiment. Larsson is doing really good work in a thankless job as the anchor of Bylsma's defensive line. Players who can play this role for Bylsma aren't a dime a dozen. Meanwhile, I think I can find McGinn types as cheap UFAs two weeks before camp opens.

I agree on Larsson, he's really starting to "get it" and he's a son of a bitch to play against. I'd bet money if u polled players around the league he is in the Marchand category in terms of pest value.

I disagree on McGinn, he has shown up and contributed almost every game and could be a 15-20 goal goal 3rd line type on a contending team.

Well, there are always guys like Raffi Torres and Chris Stewart floating around, but they didn't deliver for the Sabres nearly as well as McGinn has. 

Sometimes guys find the right situation and the match works well for the team and the player.  That's not to say that the team should pony up a crazy amount to keep him, but it is to say that the fancystats don't tell the whole story.

I also think Larsson is more a dime-a-dozen guy than McGinn is.

Spot on here. Larsson's role is a critical cog moving forward. If he can embrace it and not bitch and moan about lack of top six minutes like last year, he can be a force for us while at the same time easing the D burden for ROR.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree on Larsson, he's really starting to "get it" and he's a son of a bitch to play against. I'd bet money if u polled players around the league he is in the Marchand category in terms of pest value.

I disagree on McGinn, he has shown up and contributed almost every game and could be a 15-20 goal goal 3rd line type on a contending team.

I actually agree McGinn could be a nice 3rd liner on a good team (albeit producing fewer goals than you list). I just don't think he can be a good 3rd liner on this team, because of how Bylsma uses his 3rd line. Just a bad fit for McGinn IMO (and remember, McGinn want doing anything worthile here until he got moved into the top-6).

There's more to McGinn than just his goal scoring. He's one of the most consistent players on the team, even when he's not scoring goals he is helping elsewhere. He's also 4th on the team in hits. Combined with the fact that he's one of O'Reilly's best friends, that makes the situation better for both of them.

I agree with this. Last game was a perfect example of what Larsson brings. He drew the penalty that set up the tying goal, and scored the winner. Played well defensively. Can't ask for much more than that.

I actually agree McGinn could be a nice 3rd liner on a good team (albeit producing fewer goals than you list). I just don't think he can be a good 3rd liner on this team, because of how Bylsma uses his 3rd line. Just a bad fit for McGinn IMO (and remember, McGinn want doing anything worthile here until he got moved into the top-6).

Yeah, top six could get pretty crowded in the next couple years. Spill over to the 3rd line is a nice problem to have.

There's more to McGinn than just his goal scoring. He's one of the most consistent players on the team, even when he's not scoring goals he is helping elsewhere. He's also 4th on the team in hits. Combined with the fact that he's one of O'Reilly's best friends, that makes the situation better for both of them.

I think he and Samson hang out a bit too these days

This is where I'm at with McGinn

Watch him away from the puck, particularly heading back into his zone, it isn't particularly pretty. It's better w/ top line guys, but he is not cut out for DB's 3rd line. If they can bring him back on a 3-4 year deal for ~ what he makes or ~$0.5/yr more; do it.

This team needs someone better than McGinn on the top line & you can't be paying at least 3 players $4+ each to be in the bottom 6. That works for 2 more years, but when it's time to pay Sam & Jack it can't happen.

Boston is presently battling for that top 3 spot with Detroit and a wild card position if they fail that. We better be prepared for a battle today and Saturday.

As for roster spots and who's on who's line, I think GMTM already knows his top 10 and after that whomever is left after the trade deadline is on a 32 game lets see what you have to offer timeline.

I will say that Foligno, Larrson, McGinn, Gorges and Gionta looked good yesterday with different linemates but was that their chemistry or was it the Habs???

McGinn is as good as gone and rightfully so. His stock is high and he should be traded for a decent return ASAP by Murray.

The Sabres are trying to build a cup contender and McGinn isn't a top 6 player on one. If someone is willing to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him - its a trade Murray makes all day long and twice on Tuesday.

If you can bring him back in July at a decent price & term thats fantastic but if not - he is just a guy and there are plenty of guys to play on the 3rd line.

After last night's come from behind victory, and watching pretty good hockey there in the 3rd period, I am pretty excited to bring that to a game against Boston. Man screw those chowdah heads.

Tonight ROR and Reinhart get it going on the score sheet.

ROR is running on fumes.    Hope he bounces back here soon.

That said, Moulson with the hat trick!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.