2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Has anyone considered that as long as Franson is on this team, we'll have at least one pairing that we aren't going go like. At least Kulikov/McCabe and Georges/Risto we can live with and this is better then creating a Franson/Gorges pairing.

Franson-Gorges is not a terrible third pairing. It's not good, but having your worst D-men playing against the worst competition is a good thing.

The first one. Everybody knew where Reinhart should have been playing as soon as Jack went down, but DD wants to play it off like he's making the decision not because it's always been the right move, but because Reinhart is playing poorly on the top line.

NO DAN

Edited by WildCard

The first one. Everybody knew where Reinhart should have been playing as soon as Jack went down, but DD wants to play it off like he's making the decision not because it's always been the right move, but because Reinhart is playing poorly on the top line.

NO ###### DAN

Yea seriously. I want more from Reinhart but using that excuse is weak.

I'm starting the Bylsma Bunker. I'm concerned

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm not even sure the quote makes sense.

“Sam needs to get a little bit more feet moving, a little bit more speed to his game,” Bylsma said. “He’s made some great plays for us early on … but we need to get more out of Sam, moving his feet more, playing a little bit faster, a little bit quicker and providing a little bit more offense for our team.”

Does it? I guess a center needs to skate and move his feet more. But doesn't a center also have added defensive duties? I'm not sure how that would tend to increase Reinhart's offensive output.

This is getting a bit overwrought, IMHO. 

DDB is an experienced and accomplished coach.  Reino is a very young player with a ton of potential, but he's far from an established star.  He's also not a particularly good skater.  And, he's a guy who the team is relying on to produce offense -- but the team has scored 4 goals in their 3 losses.

I don't think DDB wanting Reino to move his feet and play faster is a-tall a crazy thing for DDB to say.

I have no problem with DDB's assessment of Reinhart's game.     Take, for example, the OT play against CGY.     I said it some other post... but the idea was that I would have like to see Reinhart move his feet instead of stand flat footed facing the wall looking for a pass.    It's basic hockey, get puck, settle puck, head up, move feet.      He could probably get away with that play in juniors, but it was a bad play in the NHL.

That said, he's a much better skater than he has been, he just needs to use it more.. keep his speed up during a shift, less stopping and slowing down... more explosiveness.     Truth be told, you could say that about a lot of players on this team, but Reinhart is a guy they're need to lean on while Eichel is out, so fair or not, the magnifying glass is on him.

I have no problem with DDB's assessment of Reinhart's game.     Take, for example, the OT play against CGY.     I said it some other post... but the idea was that I would have like to see Reinhart move his feet instead of stand flat footed facing the wall looking for a pass.    It's basic hockey, get puck, settle puck, head up, move feet.      He could probably get away with that play in juniors, but it was a bad play in the NHL.

That said, he's a much better skater than he has been, he just needs to use it more.. keep his speed up during a shift, less stopping and slowing down... more explosiveness.     Truth be told, you could say that about a lot of players on this team, but Reinhart is a guy they're need to lean on while Eichel is out, so fair or not, the magnifying glass is on him.

Fact is he was terrible in the first 2 periods of the Vancouver game also. Nice comeback in the 3rd period but had too many turnovers in those first 2 periods. Coaches job is to occasionally jump on his players who are not performing, jump on Des..... nobody notices besides Des, jump on one of your star players, everyone gets the hint including Sam.

Plus it's not quite a demotion moving to center between Ennis and Girgs. Actually a promotion for those 2 guys and deservedly so, they showed some spark the past 2 games.

Should be a winnable game because the Flyers play tonight in Montreal so catching them on a back to back where they have a longer travel day than us should be a help.

It's almost as if Reinhart wasn't entirely comfortable playing a position he's never played before. Shocking. Who could have possibly foreseen that? Obviously not our sage coach.

Or maybe he's not quite the star you envisioned yet. Young player, still needs developing, still needs to learn the trade in the NHL, who woulda thought that???

I'm assuming you're referring to LW?

Yes.

So, no coach in the history of hockey has ever move a center to wing?... Oh, they have,... well, it certainly never worked out for them, right?... oh, it has?... um.

And certainly no player has ever had an adjustment period when changing positions. Nope, never. If it isn't full speed ahead from the get go it's because they're not moving their feet or some such. Yup, for sure that's it! :rolleyes:

Meh.  I saw the DD quote as a throw-away.  I just read it as "Sam moving to center blah blah blah blah."  All those blahs were just stock words to fill out a thought.

I have no problem with DD keeping Reinhart on the wing through the road trip, to see how *all* the lines produce, especially knowing Reino's played wing since he came up.  After the Edmonton game it looked good so he left the lines alone.  Two more games didn't look so good.  The obvious change is to put Reinhart at center.  The obvious time to do it is now when the team has several days off and can work some practices with the new alignment.

This is probably what DD was thinking all along, but didn't want to put too much pressure on Samson, changing his position on the line, without getting several practices in first.

SAM REINHART WILL BE FINE.  SO WILL DISCO DAN.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

Or look at it this way.... Matt Moulson forced DD's hand. He's playing like the 30g scorer of years past, he needs top line minutes.

His even strength play does not require top line minutes. It's been bad, though much better than last year. Two power play goals (one a sick play from Reinhart that any of us would pot) don't change that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.