2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

Context means something.

Hearing the sound bite, it was Dan dumping on Sam.

Watching the entire clip, it was Dan saying the team needs more offence and Sam is one of those guys who needs to supply it.

Entirely fair.

And now we have a puck distributor between two fast wingers as our second line.

As Flaggmsays, given the roster could be a lot worse.

His even strength play does not require top line minutes. It's been bad, though much better than last year. Two power play goals (one a sick play from Reinhart that any of us would pot) don't change that.

He's generating shots on goal, second on the team with 11, double his shots/game from last season.    I would expect that to tick up even more on the top line.  

He's earned this.... and he has a history of playing well with Okposo, won't hurt to give it a look for a few games.

Edited by pi2000

$5 mil Matt Moulson, no BS first liner.

$5 mil Ristolainen, not so much.

I wouldn't say Moulson is a no BS first liner... he needs to continue to generate shots and with a decent shooting % he'll produce.    He has a knack for scoring goals around the net, his problem last year wasn't that he couldn't score, it was that he wasn't even getting any scoring chances... his shots/gm was way down, he didn't deserve to play with the big boys.     Now that's he getting shoots again, he deserves a look with the top unit.   

I think we can all agree Risto has been a disappointment thus far, I won't go into details, his game speaks for itself.    Hopefully he starts showing signs of life here, or we're in trouble.

I have no problem with DDB's assessment of Reinhart's game.     Take, for example, the OT play against CGY.     I said it some other post... but the idea was that I would have like to see Reinhart move his feet instead of stand flat footed facing the wall looking for a pass.    It's basic hockey, get puck, settle puck, head up, move feet.      He could probably get away with that play in juniors, but it was a bad play in the NHL.

That said, he's a much better skater than he has been, he just needs to use it more.. keep his speed up during a shift, less stopping and slowing down... more explosiveness.     Truth be told, you could say that about a lot of players on this team, but Reinhart is a guy they're need to lean on while Eichel is out, so fair or not, the magnifying glass is on him.

This assessment makes a lot of sense to me -- it also helps me place Hot Daniel's quote in a better light.

I'm assuming you're referring to LW?

Yes.

Reinhart has played RW with Eichel, yes? No? Has he been playing LW with O'Reilly?

You're really going to keep going with this, aren't you?

At first I thought you were joking.

Yes, Ristolainen is hot garbage. Moulson is a 30pt winger we need to protect in the expansion. Pi logic

Reinhart hasn't been good... on his off wing... on a team with 6 lws. Yes he needs to play better and yes Bylsma is an idiot.

You're really going to keep going with this, aren't you? 

At first I thought you were joking.

Here me now, believe me later.

Just an illness for Lehner, not a serious injury.

High ankle flu

Yes, Ristolainen is hot garbage. Moulson is a 30pt winger we need to protect in the expansion. Pi logic

Reinhart hasn't been good... on his off wing... on a team with 6 lws. Yes he needs to play better and yes Bylsma is an idiot.

Risto is struggling, already a -2 after 4 games, but but but but +/- doesn't mean anything... right?  So I guess the only logical conclusions is that he's having a great season and worth every penny.

Moulson on pace for 41 goals, get promoted by the head coach to the top line.   Great minds think alike I suppose.   

What's Moulson's +/-?

Risto is on pace for more points than any defenseman has scored in decades.

Projections from four games in will do that :P

But nice points Pi.

Matt Goalson is a -1, I blame Risto for that  ;) 

Actually I don't weight +/- as heavily for forwards as I do for defenseman... especially young defenseman who are a career -80 something.

Matt Goalson is a -1, I blame Risto for that ;)

Actually I don't weight +/- as heavily for forwards as I do for defenseman... especially young defenseman who are a career -80 something.

A difference of one single value of plus minus through four games is enough to eschew your wacky projection argument that puts Risto as heading for the greatest season from an offensive defenseman since Orr or Coffey? Huh.

I have to conclude that you're trolling. Those cant be real arguments.

Here me now, believe me later.

High ankle flu

Risto is struggling, already a -2 after 4 games, but but but but +/- doesn't mean anything... right? So I guess the only logical conclusions is that he's having a great season and worth every penny.

Moulson on pace for 41 goals, get promoted by the head coach to the top line. Great minds think alike I suppose.

Risto is on pace for 102 points this season. So by your bs logic he's the greatest defender in 20 years. See if can extrapolate tooooooooooooo

Also, Pi, you say that you lean on Risto more for his plus minus because he's a defenseman. Why? First of all, forwards scoring at even strength has just as large of an impact on that stat as defensemen defending at even strength do. Second of all, it isn't a fair comparison because Moulson plays cushy minutes against the Jooris line in Calgary or the Vey line in Vancouver, while Risto gets hard minutes against the Sedins and Gaudreau, which I've already shown you in past arguments. 

Again, you have to be trolling with this stuff.

A difference of one single value of plus minus through four games is enough to eschew your wacky projection argument that puts Risto as heading for the greatest season from an offensive defenseman since Orr or Coffey? Huh.

I have to conclude that you're trolling. Those cant be real arguments.

Risto has never had an Orr/Coffey like season, nor do we expect him to.     However, he's in his 4rd NHL season, I do expect to see him improve his +/-.    It's one thing if he's on a terrible defensive team with a huge minus team goal differential... but he's not.    BUF as a team was -21 in goal differential... the fact that, relative to the team goal differential, Risto was a -21 tells me he needs to improve defensively.    There are several plays this season where his mistake lead directly to goals, and not against guys like Crosby or McDavid... guys like Gallagher and Tkachuk... I expect our #1 d-man to shut those plays down or at least don't make the turnover which leads to those goals.   

Matt Moulson has had three 30g seasons so it's not out of the question that he can repeat that performance on a top line with the way he's playing.

Risto is on pace for 102 points this season. So by your bs logic he's the greatest defender in 20 years. See if can extrapolate tooooooooooooo

That's fantastic!  I hope he keeps up the offensive production while cleaning up his defensive miscues.  

Also, Pi, you say that you lean on Risto more for his plus minus because he's a defenseman. Why? First of all, forwards scoring at even strength has just as large of an impact on that stat as defensemen defending at even strength do. Second of all, it isn't a fair comparison because Moulson plays cushy minutes against the Jooris line in Calgary or the Vey line in Vancouver, while Risto gets hard minutes against the Sedins and Gaudreau, which I've already shown you in past arguments. 

Again, you have to be trolling with this stuff.

Defensemen defend.   They're down low in the zone and they lead the break out.    Generally speaking (system agnostic) any breakdown down low, or turnovers on the break out, lead directly to scoring chances the other way.     Over the course of an 82 game season if your best defenseman is severely in the red +/-, that's doesn't speak well for his ability to defend.    

That said, if Risto was -10 or less, then yeah, that's likely just a product of his competition and who else he's on the ice with, not enough of difference (from zero) to make any generalizations about his ability to defend.    But when he's the minus 20's and 30's two years in a row, that means something.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.