Tyler Ennis needs to go

darksabre

Ennis' corsi and fenwick are up. His goals per 60 are down but his assists per 60 are up. He is starting in the O zone 62% of the time which is only slightly above his career average. His shot on goal percentage is down. His giveaways are 29 for 82 games average and he currently has 12 through 17games which is roughly 57 giveaways in 82 games.

So he isn't playing his best hockey right now but he isn't being that terrible either.

Edited by LGR4GM

that's not how I read it at all; I read it as big, strong on the puck, winning possession time, and a b*tch to play against

That's what it means in a literal sense, sure. But WildCard laid out what I meant pretty well. It has symbolic value when it's consistently relied upon to describe a team that likely lacks the talent to go all the way. The Blues really are the perfect example in the recent past (before Tarasenko anyway). They were constantly praised for their heavy "man's game" but could never get out of the second round, mostly because your best offensive players being 55-60 point players is not a recipe to win a Cup.

Who knew Ennis would become this seasons' whipping boy?

I like the kid. He's having a rough patch. I just want him to stay on#######sides. Other than that, I'm confident he'll get it figured out.

I think linemates are his biggest problem. The current top 6 doesn't seem to mesh well with his game.

Well that's a pretty significant problem for a player who needs to be in the top-6 to be effective.

Ennis' corsi and fenwick are up. His goals per 60 are down but his assists per 60 are up. He is starting in the O zone 62% of the time which is only slightly above his career average. His shot on goal percentage is down. His giveaways are 29 for 82 games average and he currently has 12 through 17games which is obviously more.

So he isn't playing his best hockey right now but he isn't being that terrible either.

I hate say it but told you so, let him work through it. He is one of the few proven scorers. He will be fine.

Jochen go stand in the corner ! TIMEOUT YOUNG MAN !

Tylers in a funk.I get that. But I'm with Nfreeman on this one. I agree with his take in the gdt about the pitchfork rhetoric. He needs the coaches support to get through this not to be scuttled. Let him work his way through this and you get a dynamic player. 

That's what it means in a literal sense, sure. But WildCard laid out what I meant pretty well. It has symbolic value when it's consistently relied upon to describe a team that likely lacks the talent to go all the way. The Blues really are the perfect example in the recent past (before Tarasenko anyway). They were constantly praised for their heavy "man's game" but could never get out of the second round, mostly because your best offensive players being 55-60 point players is not a recipe to win a Cup.

Well that's a pretty significant problem for a player who needs to be in the top-6 to be effective.

Look at the production in the 2014 playoffs from the Kings.  The only skaters not to register a goal were Regehr, Nolan, Schulz, and Matt Greene.  The Top 5 were outrageous. The top 11 had double digit points in 26 games.  Heavy is winning battles and converting chances up and down the lineup.  Not just a top 2 gritty lines.  The Blackhawks eventually just wore down and the Rags never really mustered a challenge.  

Look at the production in the 2014 playoffs from the Kings. The only skaters not to register a goal were Regehr, Nolan, Schulz, and Matt Greene. The Top 5 were outrageous. The top 11 had double digit points in 26 games. Heavy is winning battles and converting chances up and down the lineup. Not just a top 2 gritty lines. The Blackhawks eventually just wore down and the Rags never really mustered a challenge.

Such is getting hot at the right time. Exception, meet rule. Or is it the other way around? Whatever, I stand by it. A lot of people extol the virtues of "heavy" teams that win precisely squat because they like the style and don't want to admit the team isn't good enough.

Mike Weber being injured left a gaping hole. Posters did their best to nominate Larsson or Gionta but in the end teenie Tyler Ennis got the nod.

Does Tyler not deserve it? He's playing some really poor hockey. And unlike Weber (lacks talent) and Gionta (Bylsma using him too much), it is in fact his own fault.

Ennis' corsi and fenwick are up. His goals per 60 are down but his assists per 60 are up. He is starting in the O zone 62% of the time which is only slightly above his career average. His shot on goal percentage is down. His giveaways are 29 for 82 games average and he currently has 12 through 17games which is roughly 57 giveaways in 82 games.

Since I'm on my phone and too lazy to look it all up this way, I'd like to see his CFrel% in addition to his team ranks in the relevant rate categories. He's putting up points, but he's getting huge ice time. Before last night I think he was like 9th on the team in scoring rate. That's not great. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Such is getting hot at the right time. Exception, meet rule. Or is it the other way around? Whatever, I stand by it. A lot of people extol the virtues of "heavy" teams that win precisely squat because they like the style and don't want to admit the team isn't good enough.

Does Tyler not deserve it? He's playing some really poor hockey. And unlike Weber (lacks talent) and Gionta (Bylsma using him too much), it is in fact his own fault.

Since I'm on my phone and too lazy to look it all up this way, I'd like to see his CFrel% in addition to his team ranks in the relevant rate categories. He's putting up points, but he's getting huge ice time. Before last night I think he was like 9th on the team in scoring rate. That's not great.

I wish I had any idea how to manipulate the War on Ice website to give you what you want.  :ph34r:

It's also worth noting that Ennis-Larsson-Foligno is probably a bit less dangerous than Ennis-Larsson-Zemgus.

OTOH, DDB indicated that he wants to match up Zemgus against the opponent's top line, in part to take some of the load off of ROR -- and I don't think that role suits Ennis.

It's a bit of a conundrum.  Right now I'd like to keep ROR-Gionta-Moulson and Eichel-Reino-Kane as the top 2 lines.  I kinda want to see Zemgus-Ennis-Larsson as the #3 line, but are the Sabres really going to throw that line on the ice against Seguin & Benn?

It's also worth noting that Ennis-Larsson-Foligno is probably a bit less dangerous than Ennis-Larsson-Zemgus.

OTOH, DDB indicated that he wants to match up Zemgus against the opponent's top line, in part to take some of the load off of ROR -- and I don't think that role suits Ennis.

It's a bit of a conundrum.  Right now I'd like to keep ROR-Gionta-Moulson and Eichel-Reino-Kane as the top 2 lines.  I kinda want to see Zemgus-Ennis-Larsson as the #3 line, but are the Sabres really going to throw that line on the ice against Seguin & Benn?

That has kind of been my point all along. I don't think Ennis is a bad hockey player. I am just not sure he fits the ultimate plan.

That's how I see it 

I never understood why everyone was so in love with Ennis. I think he's a good guy and I love his effort, but I don't see him ever breaking the 50 point barrier. For a guy who doesn't have the size to win battles, he needs to be putting up 65+ to justify a spot on the top scoring lines. I just see a lot of dangling leading to turnovers.

In a perfect world, he would be the guy that makes someone like Matt Moulson a star, with slick passes leading to easy finishes. It just hasn't been the case.

Why? Because his trade value may still be high? I can understand that, but I'm still pulling for the guy. He's not pulling a Leino or Hodgson. Things will begin to play out. And when they do it'll benefit the Sabres.

20 more games until the "let's trade Eichel", thread?

I never understood why everyone was so in love with Ennis. I think he's a good guy and I love his effort, but I don't see him ever breaking the 50 point barrier. For a guy who doesn't have the size to win battles, he needs to be putting up 65+ to justify a spot on the top scoring lines. I just see a lot of dangling leading to turnovers.

In a perfect world, he would be the guy that makes someone like Matt Moulson a star, with slick passes leading to easy finishes. It just hasn't been the case.

He has been potting 20 a year, that puts him in the upper echelon of players. Why would we get rid of an Offensive, decent two way player? Edited by DirtDart

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.