The politics of terrorism

Hoss

Obama Pardons Turkey

Only one this year. Because apparently public polling indicated legitimate opposition to his pardoning of two turkeys last year. This country man. This country.  

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/11/americans-say-trump-most-likely-to-ruin-thanksgiving-dinner-gop-opposes-obama-on-turkey-pardons.html

The examples of the GOP's reflexive opposition to President Obama's agenda are many but this may be the best one yet: by a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of the President's executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the President's executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that's a pretty clear sign that if you put Obama's name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty much no matter what. Overall there's 35/22 support for the pardon of Macaroni and Cheese thanks to 59/11 support from Democrats and 28/21 from independents.

And that is why we need congressional term limits, gerrymandering needs to die, and the little kids of congress need to be put in timeout. What a ###### waste of taxpayer money, worrying about how many turkeys Obama pardons.

I want to note that I don't think this is a poll of politicians. I think it's a poll of the electorate. 

Stupid anonymous is going to do nothing but freak out even more people by posting this crap.

Anonymous is skilled at infiltrating computer systems, and seem to have found some ISIS plans already. The only issue is Anonymous seems to forget they're not the only game in town. They tend to bash around with a lot of skill but not thinking about the long-game. So they find a bunch of plans and what to do they do? "HEY WE FOUND SOME PLANS!" For all we know, the CIA/MI5/KGB were already quietly in those systems (if Anonymous found and hacked them in a couple days, they're not very secure). I'm not suggesting they knew about the Paris attacks or anything, but now the bad guys migrate to somewhere new or start using more secure systems which hinders everyone. Sometimes, it's better to know where the bad guys are and what they're up to rather than making a big show about stopping them immediately.

Anonymous is skilled at infiltrating computer systems, and seem to have found some ISIS plans already. The only issue is Anonymous seems to forget they're not the only game in town. They tend to bash around with a lot of skill but not thinking about the long-game. So they find a bunch of plans and what to do they do? "HEY WE FOUND SOME PLANS!" For all we know, the CIA/MI5/KGB were already quietly in those systems (if Anonymous found and hacked them in a couple days, they're not very secure). I'm not suggesting they knew about the Paris attacks or anything, but now the bad guys migrate to somewhere new or start using more secure systems which hinders everyone. Sometimes, it's better to know where the bad guys are and what they're up to rather than making a big show about stopping them immediately.

I think that's definitely a big example of why they need to stay the hell out of this stuff and leave it to the big boys.  I'd go as far as to guarantee that most of these agencies were already very well aware of all of this, if indeed it was legit.  So instead of this being handled in an organized way that might actually let them get to the root of the issue, anonymous leaks out information and causes an increased level of panic... another victory for ISIS.

Putin needed a smack in the nose and I'm glad Turkey delivered one.

I have mixed feelings about this.   All though Russia did deserve a punch in the gut and has been pushing nato countries in Europe.  

We did the same to them with Ukraine.   

Erdogan is a Dangerous man, he is driving Turkey away from being a secular state, not to mentions his wife owns a hospital that caters to IS members.

I have mixed feelings about this.   All though Russia did deserve a punch in the gut and has been pushing nato countries in Europe.  

We did the same to them with Ukraine.   

Erdogan is a Dangerous man, he is driving Turkey away from being a secular state, not to mentions his wife owns a hospital that caters to IS members.

I didn't know that about his wife.

I don't think he's going to succeed with making Turkey into a religious state.  The people are too well-off and too well-educated for that.

So how does the rhetoric change when the terrorist is a 57-year-old white male in Colorado?

If my Twitter and Facebook feed are any indication, the left reacts to these with as much passion as the right reacts when its done by brown people from far away lands.   :bag:

If my Twitter and Facebook feed are any indication, the left reacts to these with as much passion as the right reacts when its done by brown people from far away lands. :bag:

So they're calling for all Christians to be kicked out of the country and all others to be turned away by a giant wall? Are they using racist terms?

Honestly asking if you're seeing that because I haven't seen anything near it and I have a ton of "left" friends.

So they're calling for all Christians to be kicked out of the country and all others to be turned away by a giant wall? Are they using racist terms?

Honestly asking if you're seeing that because I haven't seen anything near it and I have a ton of "left" friends.

In my experience the left's anger gets directed at guns, but from what I'm observing in this case is there is a distinct lack of anger. My best guess is it's because the body count isn't high enough, as cynical as that may sound.

Request -

Is anyone aware of a concise write up addressing the debate or conversation around what Islam is, its true teachings, terror, jihad, etc.? I am looking to inform myself. Book, pamphlet, web article? I ordered a book on Amazon. I have a general construct around "true" vs. "perverted". The polarized views are so divergent. I'd like to go to the sources. I am not a scholar, generally, and not a religious scholar, specifically. I do have an appetite for knowledge. Grateful in advance ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.