The politics of terrorism

Hoss

Despite thinking Sizzle's post was great, I agree with this. There is absolutely people who are sick of God(s), but they're mainly sick of the misapplication of Their teachings and the use of them as a means of hatred. Not the appropriate application of God(s) and their teachings.

I disagree, God and Religion are consistently ridiculed by a sizable and loud segment of the population and pop culture. I find that in discussions about religion I find my self splitting my time arguing with orthodox conservatives and militant atheists. I feel my moderate position is far more respected by the Orthodox Hardliners.

I disagree, God and Religion are consistently ridiculed by a sizable and loud segment of the population and pop culture. I find that in discussions about religion I find my self splitting my time arguing with orthodox conservatives and militant atheists. I feel my moderate position is far more respected by the Orthodox Hardliners.

It's interesting, though, that it is rarely a militant atheist doing bad things with and automatic weapon.

It's interesting, though, that it is rarely a militant atheist doing bad things with and automatic weapon.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/02/chapel-hill-shooting-white-male-atheist-murders-three-muslim-students

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

that's 2 this year.

Wait, wait, we're not supposed to link weapons and religion! Challenge flag! Not every believer is a murderer! You can't generalize. It's a small portion!

Oops, sorry. On review, you never said any of that when making your connection. My mistake.

Kidding, of course. I certainly agree that religion, a belief, is the root of more violence than atheism.

I also agree with Whiskey. My Christianity is more likely to illicit a condescending sneer from Atheists. Certainly not always, before someone points that put. Raptor Jesus, anyone?

I'm a believer. There's nothing exceptional about my belief. The exceptionally devout don't ridicule me.

The Qur'an when you are ready.

Karen Armstrong is very good. Google her ... she has written The History of God and 2 sensational biographies on Muhammad (PBUH).

If interested, PM me and I will relay my understanding to you.

I get around to things slowly, but I'm going to find Armstrong. I was hoping you'd reply.

I also want the Qur'an. If you know of one that's annotated for a newbie, I'd be grateful. Amazon has hundreds.

Let me ask. Your first words were "the Qur'an." Is there a link between that first response and the belief that the Qur'an is the unadulterated word of God? In other words, is that always the best answer?

You may recall President Obama calling the Muslim call to prayer one of the prettiest sounds on earth. I've youtubed it. It is beautiful.

Grateful to you and XB.

If this turns out to be a domestically grown, radicalized Muslim terrorist attack, I think one thing that will come of it is, it will change the discussion re: gun control.  I see the conversation evolving just like it did regarding security post 9/11 and the resulting Patriot Act.  

I'm not yet sure this will be a good thing.

It won't be. The first go around wasn't, either.

Edited by N'eo

The first round turned into a disgusting, ineffective mess, hence my lack of faith in this go around.

The first turned into the money grab of all money grabs; the Mother of All Money Grabs. 

Big, fat-cat multi-nationals suckling at the government tit to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars. All in the name of the "Homeland" (sorry, too much like "fatherland" for my liking) and "security." Disgusting. 

End rant. 

The first round turned into a disgusting, ineffective mess, hence my lack of faith in this go around.

I hope I was clear. I agree with you completely.

Word quiz ... Who does or doesn't think Isis is an existential threat?

Thought of the day .... IF this is terror, we are on the cusp of a dramatically changed lifestyle. When targets go soft, metal detectors and no-fly lists aren't helpful. Behavior and the access to quiet enjoyment in life changes. Israel profiles everywhere.

Word quiz, two .... Does profiling enter your thoughts, whether with dread or glee?

I hope I was clear. I agree with you completely.

Word quiz ... Who does or doesn't think Isis is an existential threat?

Thought of the day .... IF this is terror, we are on the cusp of a dramatically changed lifestyle. When targets go soft, metal detectors and no-fly lists aren't helpful. Behavior and the access to quiet enjoyment in life changes. Israel profiles everywhere.

Word quiz, two .... Does profiling enter your thoughts, whether with dread or glee?

I knew you agreed.  I was expanding upon the thought.

They'll keep chipping away at our freedoms because they've found a way that works. Create fear and in the ensuing panic enact more laws that take away rights and freedoms. The sheeple will run to the gov't for protection as the gov't looks to herd us into a smaller corner. Between attacks that shake us to our boots they'll keep us occupied with the Kardashians or American idol. Today Britain started dropping bombs on Syria. Is there anything left to actually bomb in Syria ? WW III anyone ?

okay dokey. Before Harper was booted out of office here in Canadeh he pushed through something called bill c51. Its pages long but one of the new powers he's given to the police is the ability to come into your house without a warrant. France just gave their police the same powers among other things a day after the Paris attack. In Canada if you protest on a streetcorner against ...mmmm maybe an oil corporation for environmental concerns you can be labelled a terrorist and thrown in jail without legal council indefinately. They make no distinction between eco terrorist or plain old terrorist with jihadist beliefs. Thats another beaut from bill c51. Among many more too varied to list. This isn't about just laws. This is about pushing through draconian tyrannical laws that chip away at basic human rights and freedoms in the name of security and every country is doing it. My opinion mind you but its hard to deny where its all leading.   

okay dokey. Before Harper was booted out of office here in Canadeh he pushed through something called bill c51. Its pages long but one of the new powers he's given to the police is the ability to come into your house without a warrant. France just gave their police the same powers among other things a day after the Paris attack. In Canada if you protest on a streetcorner against ...mmmm maybe an oil corporation for environmental concerns you can be labelled a terrorist and thrown in jail without legal council indefinately. They make no distinction between eco terrorist or plain old terrorist with jihadist beliefs. Thats another beaut from bill c51. Among many more too varied to list. This isn't about just laws. This is about pushing through draconian tyrannical laws that chip away at basic human rights and freedoms in the name of security and every country is doing it. My opinion mind you but its hard to deny where its all leading.   

Police can come into your house without a warrant regardless of what the law says.  ;)

Wait, wait, we're not supposed to link weapons and religion! Challenge flag! Not every believer is a murderer! You can't generalize. It's a small portion!

Oops, sorry. On review, you never said any of that when making your connection. My mistake.

Kidding, of course. I certainly agree that religion, a belief, is the root of more violence than atheism.

I also agree with Whiskey. My Christianity is more likely to illicit a condescending sneer from Atheists. Certainly not always, before someone points that put. Raptor Jesus, anyone?

I'm a believer. There's nothing exceptional about my belief. The exceptionally devout don't ridicule me.

Words matter, though, and using terms like "war" and "assassination" when trying to describe a "condescending sneer" is exactly the type of rhetoric that might push someone who is already cracked to act out those very things. It's unnecessarily inflammatory.

Oh, great. That just proves what I already know. Everyone is nuckin futs and we're all doomed.

I question whether ISIS would have a strategy of directing actors here to shoot up workplaces. Don't they know it doesn't move the domestic needle? They should think about taking out NetFlix or disrupting the supply of peanut butter to our stores. That would cause a stir.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.