The politics of terrorism

Hoss

Neo, I'm totally not trying to be trite, and I'm sure it's not a quick or easy read, but maybe try the Quran (hope I spelled that correctly).

Needless to say, our friend in Nova Scotia is much more capable of answering this question for you than I will ever be.

Neo, I'm totally not trying to be trite, and I'm sure it's not a quick or easy read, but maybe try the Quran (hope I spelled that correctly).

Needless to say, our friend in Nova Scotia is much more capable of answering this question for you than I will ever be.

I think he's trying to get a better understanding of not just the scripture but the culture of Islam. I don't believe reading the bible would be a good way to understand Christianity.

If I had some links and sources I would pass along, but I respect your quest, Neo.

Request -

Is anyone aware of a concise write up addressing the debate or conversation around what Islam is, its true teachings, terror, jihad, etc.? I am looking to inform myself. Book, pamphlet, web article? I ordered a book on Amazon. I have a general construct around "true" vs. "perverted". The polarized views are so divergent. I'd like to go to the sources. I am not a scholar, generally, and not a religious scholar, specifically. I do have an appetite for knowledge. Grateful in advance ...

I would recommend (for everyone) the writings of Fouad Ajami.

Here is a brief bio along with links to a number of his essays: http://www.hoover.org/news/remembering-fouad-ajami

I would also recommend reading the essays of Ayaan Hirsi Ali (which are not as well written or as historically rich as Ajami's but still quite immediate and compelling IMHO.

http://bigthink.com/experts/ayaanhirsiali

So how does the rhetoric change when the terrorist is a 57-year-old white male in Colorado?

My wife asked why is the news not framing this latest tragedy by saying 57 year old Christian terrorist attacks planned parenting clinic? I have my beliefs as to why the media doesn't put that slant on it but I'm interested to hear others thoughts. 

So they're calling for all Christians to be kicked out of the country and all others to be turned away by a giant wall? Are they using racist terms?

Honestly asking if you're seeing that because I haven't seen anything near it and I have a ton of "left" friends.

No, they aren't.  The rhetoric is different.  My observation is simply that the most impassioned responses to scenes like this come from the left, and the most impassioned responses to brown skinned acts of violence tend to come from the right.

No, they aren't. The rhetoric is different. My observation is simply that the most impassioned responses to scenes like this come from the left, and the most impassioned responses to brown skinned acts of violence tend to come from the right.

I reject the skin color distinction you are drawing here.

There are literally millions of murders committed every year in Africa and South America that "the right" doesn't get up in arms about -- not to mention the thousands of murders committed every year in this country by brown-skinned people that similarly don't elicit your putative reaction.

Frankly, I'm not sure what your point is here.

I reject the skin color distinction you are drawing here.

There are literally millions of murders committed every year in Africa and South America that "the right" doesn't get up in arms about -- not to mention the thousands of murders committed every year in this country by brown-skinned people that similarly don't elicit your putative reaction.

Frankly, I'm not sure what your point is here.

On US soil?  That is my experience.  Draw from it whatever you like.

Or the shooters were foreigners.

This one is different. Our homegrown mass shooters never leave the scene, on their own anyway. And they don't drive black SUVs. Or travel in groups.

The MO, to be honest, is making me think it's organized crime related. I hate to use the word cartel, but it has that look. 

This started in a conference room that was being used by a group that has not been named yet. But it appears the complex itself was not the target. That likely means it was the group, or someone in the group. 

San Bernadino is 60% Hispanic, close in proximity to Mexico, the poorest city by population in CA, and the second poorest city in the US after Detroit. 

The MO, to be honest, is making me think it's organized crime related. I hate to use the word cartel, but it has that look. 

This started in a conference room that was being used by a group that has not been named yet. But it appears the complex itself was not the target. That likely means it was the group, or someone in the group. 

San Bernadino is 60% Hispanic, close in proximity to Mexico, the poorest city by population in CA, and the second poorest city in the US after Detroit.

Reports say county department of public health was having their Christmas party. Would that warrant an organized crime hit?

Los Angeles Times reporter:

caiif mass shooting: police chief confirms the county group meeting was targeted, not the health center.

Calif shooting: Fed law enf. official says they believe one man angrily left meeting; returned with “one or two” others; started shooting.

CNN appears to have shown police dragging the second dead suspect out of a dark SUV.

Edited by Hoss

Request -

Is anyone aware of a concise write up addressing the debate or conversation around what Islam is, its true teachings, terror, jihad, etc.? I am looking to inform myself. Book, pamphlet, web article? I ordered a book on Amazon. I have a general construct around "true" vs. "perverted". The polarized views are so divergent. I'd like to go to the sources. I am not a scholar, generally, and not a religious scholar, specifically. I do have an appetite for knowledge. Grateful in advance ...

The Qur'an when you are ready.

Karen Armstrong is very good.  Google her ... she has written The History of God and 2 sensational biographies on Muhammad (PBUH).

If interested, PM me and I will relay my understanding to you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.