GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo, 7:00pm edt, 10/21/2015

WildCard

Wookie, good call on an appropriate tag for Eichel's game: he is unpredictable. So, Kane, with his limited vision, might be better off with someone whose tendencies he can predict and rely on.

Part of what makes Eichel such a threat is that you never know what he's going to do. If that flummoxes his linemates, no wonder they're not getting points. I agree that Moulson seems capable of handling that. I also find ROR to be unpredictable with his game - it's tough to predict where he's coming from and where he'll try to go.

So, I think a Moulson, Eichel, ROR line would be an interesting experiment.

I would be down for this as well.

I saw a regular poster upthread who got what was apparently a joke.

Busy time of year for me. Think I'm insufficiently immersed here to get a lot of inside meta-SS jokes.

And if'n it was not a joke. Well, then.

Comic sans might've helped Edited by Hoss

I can keep watching this :D

Johnson doesn't seem to be losing games, no need to go after another goalie i think.

I'm heartened by the response from the Leafs after Kane ran over their Captain and drew blood. I think I did see one guy skate by with the linesman and say something presumably mean to hurt Kane's feelings.

I think Foligno was encouraged to use his body last year, but not much more than that.  This year it seems like he's more of a playmaker.  Last year he merely disrupted, this year he creates (still leading the team in the young season in assists).  And in two of the three assists, it wasn't that he just happened to be one of the last couple of guys to touch the puck; he actually put two passes out there that were beauties that set up the goal scorer (Eich, McCabe).

Deslauriers is a good guy to have on the team.  I though last year he contributed more to game play than he has so far this year, though.  I think the Sabres have so much more quality that he may end up being pushed out in the not too distant future.  That's not a criticism of him but rather a projection of where this team is heading.

I've seen more jump to his game since he was put on a top scoring line.  He knows greater things are expected of him, I think, and he's doing all he can to make it happen.  His days of passive floating are over.

Last year he was on the second line. :)

He's associated with the tank and the past, and not with the future.  I think it's just that simple for some people.  I see him and Gorges and Moulson as "transitional veterans."  Since we fire-saled the old rotten core, we need some pedigreed veterans to mentor the team until they come of age; I think all three of those guys have the character.  The problem is their best years were spent with other teams so there isn't any nostalgia in the fan base to endear them to us.

Yet another event he crushed at the combine.

Since I was one who was commenting on these guys, I'll clarify; for me, it has nothing to do with their association. I think Gionta had a bad game. Like qwk said, he looks like he did to start last year. A huge fraction of the time the puck found his stick on offense it was coughed up, and the play died. This happens to everyone on occasion but for him it was worse. It's hard for such a small guy to cover in the D zone when his speed isn't what it used to be, and he went offsides once on a play where no player should go offsides and I almost pulled my hair out. I love the guy though, and I think he can turn it up like he did last year. I hope he starts soon. Same goes with Gorges and Moulson, though I liked both of them last night. They give us the lows and burps that some of the kids do, but don't make as many eye-pleasing plays, or have the bright hopeful future, to counter them. So when we see Gorges in 3 on 3 or Matt being slow, it's frustrating, because we want the future here naaooooo.

As far as Weber goes, I just think he's brutal. I don't think the occasional jam he gives us (and I counted plenty of lost board battles last night) comes close to covering the deficiencies in his game. 

Eh, I could've assisted on Eichel's first goal.  But I have really liked Foligno's play so far this season.  He's consistently bringing it, which I had almost given up hoping for.

Foligno's three assists:

1. The Eichel goal. You say you could have made that play, but Foligno put it in a perfect spot where Eichel could get a shot off quickly and cleanly.

2. The Risto PP goal. That was pretty much just a case of keeping the play going along the boards. Not particularly skilled other than to point out he had to win a battle along the boards quickly to make that play work. A good example of using size to his advantage, but not a high skill play (comparatively speaking).

3. The McCabe goal. That was the best assist; he threaded the needle from along the boards through a bunch of traffic crashing the net, and found McCabe's stick.

You can downplay his skill, but he's using his tools a lot more effectively than, say, Staff did. Let's see if he can keep it up.

I think that Deslauriers is a 3rd/4th line tweener, and an absolute necessity come playoff time.

I agree that his value will become apparent later in the season. But in another couple of years I could see where Girgs is doing that job because others have pushed into the Top 6.

They give us the lows and burps that some of the kids do, but don't make as many eye-pleasing plays, or have the bright hopeful future, to counter them. So when we see Gorges in 3 on 3 or Matt being slow, it's frustrating, because we want the future here naaooooo.

That, in a sense, is similar to the point I was making. I think they are necessary for the time being though in that you need some character veterans and we traded all ours away.

Foligno's three assists:

1. The Eichel goal. You say you could have made that play, but Foligno put it in a perfect spot where Eichel could get a shot off quickly and cleanly.

2. The Risto PP goal. That was pretty much just a case of keeping the play going along the boards. Not particularly skilled other than to point out he had to win a battle along the boards quickly to make that play work. A good example of using size to his advantage, but not a high skill play (comparatively speaking).

3. The McCabe goal. That was the best assist; he threaded the needle from along the boards through a bunch of traffic crashing the net, and found McCabe's stick.

You can downplay his skill, but he's using his tools a lot more effectively than, say, Staff did. Let's see if he can keep it up.

You're right on his first assist.  I just watched the play in slow motion too many times.  It was a really nice play by Foligno in traffic.

I probably would've fallen over  :blush:

Zemgus will never be Desluariers. They play very different games IMPO.

Took the words out of my mouth.  Zemgus isn't the guy to blow people up or go through them.  He'll be shutting down the other team and Nic will be playing energy minutes during our cup run.

Speaking of which, the end of the bench stanchions at the FNC look to be really dangerous.  The Pax-Ogre hit happened at the middle stanchion, so the end of the benches don't matter? Somebody said something about curved glass in other arenas.  Do we have that?

Edited by qwksndmonster

You're right on his first assist.  I just watched the play in slow motion too many times.  It was a really nice play by Foligno in traffic.

I probably would've fallen over  :blush:

Took the words out of my mouth.  Zemgus isn't the guy to blow people up or go through them.  He'll be shutting down the other team and Nic will be playing energy minutes during our cup run.

Speaking of which, the end of the bench stanchions at the FNC look to be really dangerous.  The Pax-Ogre hit happened at the middle stanchion, so the end of the benches don't matter? Somebody said something about curved glass in other arenas.  Do we have that?

Pretty sure every barn has the curved glass now.  

Some more shooting percentage stats: So far at even strength our shooting percentage is 3.7%. Last year, with the garbage roster, we ended the season with a total even strength shooting percentage of 7.2%. We will score more, soon.

X pointed to a lack of net front presence as a reason for our lack of goals despite high shot totals.

After watching my first 3x3 last night, I think the NHL erred on keeping the shootout.  That is so wide open that all games would end, IMO, with 10 minutes.  It takes more than 5 minutes to run the shootout.  They should just let these teams finish it on the ice, like men.

My only thing about the 3-3 OT so far, and I've watched three of them so far, is that the teams tend to just cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle...the main goal seems to be to trap the opponents 3 guys on the ice, cycle the puck until they are exhausted, and then make your move. If they're exhausted, they'll never burn you on the breakaway because they'll go straight to the bench, and eventually they'll break down in their zone. It's a win/win, except for the fans watching though.

Still much better than the shootout though.

:lol:  :lol:

Some more shooting percentage stats: So far at even strength our shooting percentage is 3.7%. Last year, with the garbage roster, we ended the season with a total even strength shooting percentage of 7.2%. We will score more, soon.

This makes me feel much better  :beer:

It would be glorious.

And it wouldn't have to be any more exhausting than a 5 minute OT period..... provided a coach didn't drastically shorten his bench.  A deep team would be able to roll 4 offensive pairs constructed from the top 9 forwards, and the coach could use the top 4 Dmen as well.  One complaint against the shootout is that it focuses on two few players - basically the goalies and shooters, and doesn't necessarily reflect the team.  3 on 3 is similar; that's the bare minimum a team needs to have any kind of significant game, but a 5 minute period means a coach can get away with using 2, maybe 3, combinations of players.  Stretch it out to 10 minutes and he's gotta dig a little deeper.

It would be glorious.

And it wouldn't have to be any more exhausting than a 5 minute OT period..... provided a coach didn't drastically shorten his bench.  A deep team would be able to roll 4 offensive pairs constructed from the top 9 forwards, and the coach could use the top 4 Dmen as well.  One complaint against the shootout is that it focuses on two few players - basically the goalies and shooters, and doesn't necessarily reflect the team.  3 on 3 is similar; that's the bare minimum a team needs to have any kind of significant game, but a 5 minute period means a coach can get away with using 2, maybe 3, combinations of players.  Stretch it out to 10 minutes and he's gotta dig a little deeper.

I like your logic. The extended length gives teams with an overall better group of players a better chance to win. Where as the shoot out gives the team with the better 1 or 2 players (be it goalie/goal scorer) which very well might not be the better team.

Good news is, Condon will make his 2nd career start over Price vs. the Sabres tomorrow night. Condon made 20/21 saves against the Senators in his first and only NHL starthttp://sabres.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020100

It's not Price that is keeping other teams off the scoreboard in Montreal, it's the defense, IMO

He's good, but so are most goalies

We will have to earn any goals we get against the Habs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.