GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo, 7:00pm edt, 10/21/2015

WildCard

ESPN says 5:27. NHL.com says 9:30. I don't know who to believe any more. ESPN used to be the best place (in my opinion) to go for stats, as much as I hate ESPN. They certainly aren't up to par this year, stats aren't up to date, website is slow, new revised stat page is worse than before.................... might be time to give them up.

Maybe looking at 5-5 vs time on special teams?

Regardless of our love for him, I see nothing in his game that warrants this. He continuously makes 3-4 good/great scoring chances a game. The pass to Reinhart, and the turnover he caused to set up Ennis wide open in front were two I saw. Plus he had yet another 2-1 opportunity

Watch him away from the puck more. I saw it at the world champions and I am seeing it now. Jack could stand to watch a game and see how players like Ennis and ROR do things away from the play.

How dare you make such a suggestion. This is an internet forum, gosh darn it. One must always propose something ridiculous before posting something sensible. (Oftentimes multiple nonsensical things 1st.) :P

My suggestion is sensible.  Jack's movement away from the puck and in the defensive zone needs some work. I think a one game break would help him. I am not suggesting sitting him for a week or a month or anything. Just a game to observe and get a different perspective.

Watch him away from the puck more. I saw it at the world champions and I am seeing it now. Jack could stand to watch a game and see how players like Ennis and ROR do things away from the play.

I'm with you on him for that, I was advocating the same deficiency during the World's and people jumped on us. But, I don't think putting him in the box solves it. He's been better with it since, loads better than what I witnessed in the World's, and I think he just has to learn for it to become a habit. 

My other thing is, how many times have we seen Lindy, Rolston, and Nolan put people in the box so they can view the game, just for them to come back with no changes? Myers did it, Zadorov did it, Grigorenko did it....and time and time again it did nothing. I honestly don't think the box perspective does anything; I don't think it sticks in their minds when they're out on the ice going full speed. IMO, the only way to develop that habit is on the ice

Edited by WildCard

My suggestion is sensible.  Jack's movement away from the puck and in the defensive zone needs some work. I think a one game break would help him. I am not suggesting sitting him for a week or a month or anything. Just a game to observe and get a different perspective.

It's inevitable that he will get a day or two like that.

My other thing is, how many times have we seen Lindy, Rolston, and Nolan put people in the box so they can view the game, just for them to come back with no changes? Myers did it, Zadorov did it, Grigorenko did it....and time and time again it did nothing. I honestly don't think the box perspective does anything; I don't think it sticks in their minds when they're out on the ice going full speed. IMO, the only way to develop that habit is on the ice

Well maybe if there's a coach in the box with him, walking him through the good and the bad they see...

Hey we beat the leafs!

I'll always drink to that  :beer:

On The Fly on Byslma and Eichel:

Byslma: Brings confidence to that team. They're much more sound defensively, passing, and the players are just so much more free and confident

Eichel: Showcasing his face-off for a chance on net, saying that play will give Babcock fits tomorrow 

Edited by WildCard

Tonight's game, while not terribly exciting, was pretty sound from a team play perspective. Coming away with a win was important, especially against the Leafs.

I'm starting to see guys looking for each other a little more instinctively. The chemistry is getting there.

I think we're still a month away from seeing the switch really flip but I think we'll get some goals out of these guys against the Hand. That team is due for a loss and we're due to score some goals.

Some interesting stats about the game tonight.

Pysk TOI => 15:59, lowest on the team for d-men, MCabe at the 2nd least at 17:27. I wonder why HDDDB doesn't like putting Pysk out there.

Moulson TOI => 12:53. If we've seen anything so far this season, it's the diminishing role of Matt Moulson. Besides being Eichel's land lord

McGinn TOI => 10:44. Looks like that 2nd line assignment ended real quick for Jamie

And here are the fancy stats for the night

http://war-on-ice.com/game.html?seasongcode=2015201620088

Pysk, Ennis, and Eichel lead the team in Corsi +/- tonight, and Risto and Gorges are the team's worst. Though Risto led the team in TOI, and Pysk was out there for the fewest minutes of any defender

Sabres have a +3 Corsi tonight, and 15-14 in scoring chances overall. 

Edited by WildCard

Only go to see the third period but I see a team in desperate need of chemistry. Spacing was awful offensive zone looked like 5 year Olds playing soccer. Just not good. Jack and Kane should never be on the ice at the same time. It's not working nor should it. Give me Ennis and kane, Reinhart and Kane, Moulson and Kane, anyone but Eichel and Evander.

Pysk TOI => 15:59, lowest on the team for d-men, MCabe at the 2nd lest at 17:27. I wonder why HDDDB doesn't like putting Pysk out there.

Moulson TOI => 12:53. If we've seen anything so far this season, it's the diminishing role of Matt Moulson. Besides being Eichel's land lord

McGinn TOI => 10:44. Looks like that 2nd line assignment ended real quick for Jamie

Pysk, Ennis, and Eichel lead the team in Corsi +/- tonight, and Risto and Gorges are the team's worst. Though Risto led the team in TOI, and Pysk was out there for the fewest minutes of any defender

This is probably a bad time to point out he's on the books through the 2018-2019 season (in which he'll be 35) at a cap hit of $5 million, with a limited NTC, right? 

Only go to see the third period but I see a team in desperate need of chemistry. Spacing was awful offensive zone looked like 5 year Olds playing soccer. Just not good. Jack and Kane should never be on the ice at the same time. It's not working nor should it. Give me Ennis and kane, Reinhart and Kane, Moulson and Kane, anyone but Eichel and Evander.

You, me, and probably 80% of this board. Let's hope the end of the game splitting them up is a sign of things to come from Bylsma.

This is probably a bad time to point out he's on the books through the 2018-2019 season (in which he'll be 35) at a cap hit of $5 million, with a limited NTC, right? 

And yet you were doing so well in the O'Reilly thread  :lol:

Edited by WildCard

Absolutely, his game needs to improve - and it will; he's played 6 NHL games. (Newsflash - most the entire team will get better.) Jack's play in his own zone isn't horrible. He was on the ice for PA's bounce tip but not much else awful until 3 on 3.

With his size and acceleration and ability to turn nothing into a scoring chance, he'll always seem to be floating at times in his own end even when he isn't.

If they didn't have these new inventions known as "DVRs" and "laptops" his sitting 3 weeks into the season to see what's going on could make sense. They do; it doesn't. Sitting him 7 or 8 games into the season makes as much sense as sending Reinhart to the A after 3 games because he was getting knocked around some.

Pysk TOI => 15:59, lowest on the team for d-men, MCabe at the 2nd lest at 17:27. I wonder why HDDDB doesn't like putting Pysk out there.

But, but, Eichel needs work in his own end & the way to get it is to bench him a game. :doh:

:lol:

This was actually the first game where ROR game did impress me. He is really settling in.

This won't be popular but, Jack Eichel should sit for a game. I think he needs to see the ice from above just for a game to get some perspective.

Kane needs to be far away from Eichel. They split and it was like magic. Jack perked up and had chances and Kane did what he does best.

Well, I thought Eichel was by far the best player on the ice tonight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.