GDT: Leafs at Sabres, 9/29/2015, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

The tank appears to have hardened men's souls around here.

Also, the Leafs are pretty far down on the list of other teams I dislike.  They've been so bad for so long I just can't take them seriously.

(I expect I'd feel differently if I regularly attended Sabres-Leafs game in FNC though.)

n,

You are overlooking the elephant in the room: he is the Loafs' head coach. That alone is reason to bask in his misery. Had he gone to any of about 26 other teams, could probably agree w/ you, but he didn't. He went to the team that somehow forgets that 1967 was even further back than 1970 but yet still believes that it is and has been the premier NHL franchise for that entire time.

That franchise has broken better men than him. Will he be the one to finally tame it? Maybe. Hope not. But either way, until he does (IF he does) turn that team around, let's enjoy his misery. To paraphrase: "He knew what he was going into when he bought that ticket; I say let it crash." ;)

So undeniably, hilariously true.  :worthy:

Also, the Leafs are pretty far down on the list of other teams I dislike.  They've been so bad for so long I just can't take them seriously.

(I expect I'd feel differently if I regularly attended Sabres-Leafs game in FNC though.)

I suspect that is in fact the case. My hatred for the Leafs stems primarily from the rather unearned arrogance of their fan base (while I fully understand the monetary incentive, I don't think I'd ever sell Leaf tickets if I had seasons unless I really needed to), followed a distant second by the degree of media attention they get despite being as irrelevant as the Coyotes on the competitive stage--I honestly believe Darren Dreger is incapable of opening his mouth without saying "the Toronto Maple Leafs." It's just obnoxious. They suck, they have sucked for basically my entire life, and they will continue to suck for at least a few more seasons.

For anyone who's old enough to remember the origins of the Buffalo Sabres, one might consider that the Toronto Maple Leafs were the closest team, geographically, to the Buffalo market. 

I can remember watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada with the TV antenna on the roof, adjusting it to try to minimize the snow in the picture. In those days, the Leafs were my team.  They were the only team I could regularly watch.

That's a long time ago, but I still have a slightly positive impression of the team.  It doesn't mean I don't hate them in the rivalry sense though. :devil:

This is where I am at as well.  Partly, it is the too bad for too long thing.  Partly, it is because they haven't had a bona fide villain on their roster since Tucker and Domi. 

let's enjoy his misery. To paraphrase: "He knew what he was going into when he bought that ticket; I say let it crash." ;)

love it.

Great line.

We've kicked this can around quite a bit, but it's a topic worth revisiting as it arises.

As for hating the Leafs ...

I can remember watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada with the TV antenna on the roof, adjusting it to try to minimize the snow in the picture. In those days, the Leafs were my team.  They were the only team I could regularly watch.

That's a long time ago, but I still have a slightly positive impression of the team.  It doesn't mean I don't hate them in the rivalry sense though. :devil:

I'm much the same way. The Leafs were a western conference team for as long as I could remember. I watched them all the time on HNIC. They were a significant part of my childhood hockey memories. I grew up hating other teams. When we met them in the 1999 conference finals? It was fun and spirited, but I didn't seethe at them the way I would at the Bruins or Flyers (or even Canadiens (or Whalers, or Nordiques)). 

For anyone who's old enough to remember the origins of the Buffalo Sabres, one might consider that the Toronto Maple Leafs were the closest team, geographically, to the Buffalo market. 

I remember and then Punch brought his team to Toronto and beat them 7-2

This is all I need..

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-calls-out-leafs-veteran-forwards-1.369100

Not even the regular season and he's bent...

I'll never cheer for the Leafs, Bruins, or Flyers.. just can't happen. I'll take pleasure in their misery.

I read the comments and smiled... a lot. Happy days are here again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH01FhqMdc8

This should be our goal song.

I cheer for no one but the Sabres. I just don't hate the Leafs the way I do other teams.

Well, I'd cheer for the Ducks to beat the Lightning because it helps the Sabres.  But if the Sabres needed the Leafs, Bruins, or Flyers to win then it's just too damn bad.  I'm not rooting for them to win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.