Briere?

7+6=13

Ennis is my pick. Same shifty, smart game. This year he may breakout with some real talent to play with.

I wouldn't even want that

I would. Briere was awesome offensively in his prime and even though his body held up longer than Drury's, father time has taken its course on him. If I could get those guys back in their primes though I would do it in a second. Briere was just greasy. The guy was a magician about getting the puck through to where it needed to go whether it was on net or to a teammate for a slick pass.

I've already seen a bit of that out of Ennis. Mostly that he'll throw the body a little here and there to make a play. That bodes well for him.

Actually that is true. He has played with a heavier body than he has which is good. But I haven't seen him spear someone or golf swing the back of their ankles. I forgot how much more aggressive he had been in throwing his body around. That's a good point!  

Fair enough.  The only thing that I'd say is I think Briere would add to that mix nicely (obviously IMO).  It looked to me like beyond the overall lack of talent the offense looked disjointed.  Now we have talent but it's all young so it would seem reasonable it will look a bit maybe hectic is the word.  I get that maybe Briere isn't the guy but I'd argue that we need a bit more than Gionta, Moulson, and Legwand to help Bylsma get these extremely talented young players to play correctly.

Kane, Ennis, Bogosian, O'Reilly, Gorges, Murray, Bylsma.  We have no need for Briere nor does he fit, nicely or otherwise.  If there is a spot on the forth line not filled by Larson, Legwand Foligno then we will be looking to Rochester for that help in the form of Schaller or otherwise.  

Fair enough.  The only thing that I'd say is I think Briere would add to that mix nicely (obviously IMO).  It looked to me like beyond the overall lack of talent the offense looked disjointed.  Now we have talent but it's all young so it would seem reasonable it will look a bit maybe hectic is the word.  I get that maybe Briere isn't the guy but I'd argue that we need a bit more than Gionta, Moulson, and Legwand to help Bylsma get these extremely talented young players to play correctly.

Daniel Briere has not been an effective center in quite a few seasons.  Look elsewhere for what you seek.

He'd be a better healthy scratch than our current batch and could serve spot duty.  Give him 1 year with the expectation that he would be there for emergency purposes.  No way he replaces straight up our top 12.

Edited by wjag

He can sign a 1 day deal to retire a Sabre if he wants. Otherwise; no thanks. We still have swill like McCormick taking up roster spots.

What has McCormick ever done so wrong? He's done everything asked of him. He skated with Vanek and Pominville against the Bruins in the playoffs because all of our other forwards were chicken bleep. He's done everything asked, included risking his mental health by taking numerous shots to the dome but we are still complaining about him because he doesn't score 20 goals.

Was Danny Briere's time in a Sabres sweater worthy of having him retire as a Sabre? Not being facetious, I legitimately don't know.

Edited by inkman

What has McCormick ever done so wrong? He's done everything asked of him. He skated with Vanek and Pominville against the Bruins in the playoffs because all of our other forwards were chicken bleep. He's done everything asked, included risking his mental health by taking numerous shots to the dome but we are still complaining about him because he doesn't score 20 goals.

Was Danny Briere's time in a Sabres sweater worthy of having him retire as a Sabre? Not being facetious, I legitimately don't know.

No.

How much would fans despise Danny Briere if Darcy resigned him?  I think he'd be another member of the failed core, and people would only talk about his defensive deficiencies since we wouldn't have been able to put him in a position to succeed.  Kind of like how we kept hearing about how much of a creampuff Pommers was.

How much would fans despise Danny Briere if Darcy resigned him?  I think he'd be another member of the failed core, and people would only talk about his defensive deficiencies since we wouldn't have been able to put him in a position to succeed.  Kind of like how we kept hearing about how much of a creampuff Pommers was.

It depends. I think if we had been able to re-sign him, we would have had a reasonable amount of continued success. His huge playoff year was what, in 2010? We won the division that year. Then lost in the first round. With Briere on the team, things may have ended much more positive.

If we had kept Drury too? No way do I think we would be talking about a "failed core".

A big reason that core "failed" was because the players were asked to play above their positions. When we had Briere and Drury, Roy and Vanek were on the 3rd line, and Pominville was part of the supporting cast.

Edited by Thorny

One thing people seem to forget is that we got to see the absolute best that Briere had to give. We were lucky to have him when we did. His greatness didn't exist before Regier brought him in and he was never really the same player after he left. At least imo.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.