Briere?

7+6=13

Briere is contemplating retirement as he's deciding if he'd rather play or begin a new chapter in his life by dedicating all his time to his family.  Perhaps his decision will be made for him if he's not getting offers to play.  What would you all say about bringing him back as a possible 4th line center? 

I'll start with my opinion.  I know we've got some veteran leadership in Moulson and Gionta for example - but really only Legwand at the center position.  I think he'd be a nice addition for one year to teach these young centers (however that's decided).  I also like the idea of the feel good story that would naturally be attached with him coming back.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775778

Edited by 7+6=13

O'reilly should provide enough veteran help at center position.   Allthough i always liked briere and would love for him to close his career as a sabre.   I just don't see the room on this team for him unless we trade a forward or two for LHD help.   And I doubt I'm the only one wondering if he even would make the team.

Edited by Heimdall

We've already got a Briere. 

O'reilly or Reinhart?

I'm not as educated on hockey as most of you are.  I've always followed the team and watched most games - but I think because I didn't play and it wasn't my main viewing sport growing up there's a lot I don't understand, so I'm not being smart here.  I understand it appears the team is crowded on the offensive side and because of that there's a lot of uncertainty on what position guys may be asked to move to etc., but I see a void at Center in terms of leadership on the ice.

I respect your opinion so I'd like to hear more about what you're thoughts are.

When I think of Briere I think of Darcy. I hate thinking about Darcy. No thanks.

Amen.

O'reilly or Reinhart?

I'm not as educated on hockey as most of you are.  I've always followed the team and watched most games - but I think because I didn't play and it wasn't my main viewing sport growing up there's a lot I don't understand, so I'm not being smart here.  I understand it appears the team is crowded on the offensive side and because of that there's a lot of uncertainty on what position guys may be asked to move to etc., but I see a void at Center in terms of leadership on the ice.

I respect your opinion so I'd like to hear more about what you're thoughts are.

Ennis.  And when was the last time Briere was an effective center anyway?

Briere is contemplating retirement as he's deciding if he'd rather play or begin a new chapter in his life by dedicating all his time to his family.

given his track record an irrepressible dog, that would have to read "kids" in order to be the least bit credible.

At this point I only want him back if he brings Drury and a time machine with him.

Nice.

Amen.

Ennis.  And when was the last time Briere was an effective center anyway?

Ok so help me understand - how do you see the Center position initially?  I'll self admit I watch almost every game but I don't always understand what all is happening strategically on the ice.  Are there only 4 centers identified on a team or could there be more but at a reduced role than the first 4?

Do you see it?

O'reilly

Eichel

Ennis

Girgensons

Ok so help me understand - how do you see the Center position initially?  I'll self admit I watch almost every game but I don't always understand what all is happening strategically on the ice.  Are there only 4 centers identified on a team or could there be more but at a reduced role than the first 4?

Do you see it?

O'reilly

Eichel

Ennis

Girgensons

Reinhart, the #2 overall pick and first forward selected last year will probably be in the mix over the long haul. Look around for roster threads, but Ennis has been playing well on RW, and Larrsson played well in a small set of games. Girgensons may end up on the wing too. So centers long term should shake out as some combination of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, with some tough SOB on the 4th line that's essentially "interchangable" year to year. If the Sabres have enough good centers that they're playing a talented center on the 4th line, they should be trading one for something else the team needs (right now, RW and maybe D).

NFW should the team even consider bringing in Briere at this point, he doesn't fit the type of team Murray is assembling.

That's being polite!

Ennis is my pick. Same shifty, smart game. This year he may breakout with some real talent to play with.

I wouldn't even want that

But Ennis will never be capable of the nasty chit Briere usually did I think unless he starts to get worked over all the time maybe. I think it was just natural for Briere to hack at the back of someone's ankle skating away from him lol.

Reinhart, the #2 overall pick and first forward selected last year will probably be in the mix over the long haul. Look around for roster threads, but Ennis has been playing well on RW, and Larrsson played well in a small set of games. Girgensons may end up on the wing too. So centers long term should shake out as some combination of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, with some tough SOB on the 4th line that's essentially "interchangable" year to year. If the Sabres have enough good centers that they're playing a talented center on the 4th line, they should be trading one for something else the team needs (right now, RW and maybe D).

I get most of that for sure.  So in the scenario you describe albeit you say "long term" the 4th line guy is a tough guy that eats up some minutes and is difficult to handle physically - doesn't it make sense at all for next year to entertain Breire in that spot?  Obviously not for the physical side but to play a limited role on the ice but it would seem he could teach young kids how to play.

That's being polite!

But Ennis will never be capable of the nasty chit Briere usually did I think unless he starts to get worked over all the time maybe. I think it was just natural for Briere to hack at the back of someone's ankle skating away from him lol.

I've already seen a bit of that out of Ennis. Mostly that he'll throw the body a little here and there to make a play. That bodes well for him.

I get most of that for sure.  So in the scenario you describe albeit you say "long term" the 4th line guy is a tough guy that eats up some minutes and is difficult to handle physically - doesn't it make sense at all for next year to entertain Breire in that spot?  Obviously not for the physical side but to play a limited role on the ice but it would seem he could teach young kids how to play.

With so many young kids on the Sabres, I want to see an effective 4th line that can eat up some minutes and if things get chippy be a deterrent to the other team. Danny B doesn't fill that role. Now, if you said he can play RW, I could see him on a different line as that mentor, but the 4th line needs to be grinders and deterrents next year. There are already a few vets on the team (Gionta, Legwand, and to a degree O'Reilly, not to mention Ennis), so I'm not sure how much Briere adds to that mix.

With so many young kids on the Sabres, I want to see an effective 4th line that can eat up some minutes and if things get chippy be a deterrent to the other team. Danny B doesn't fill that role. Now, if you said he can play RW, I could see him on a different line as that mentor, but the 4th line needs to be grinders and deterrents next year. There are already a few vets on the team (Gionta, Legwand, and to a degree O'Reilly, not to mention Ennis), so I'm not sure how much Briere adds to that mix.

Fair enough.  The only thing that I'd say is I think Briere would add to that mix nicely (obviously IMO).  It looked to me like beyond the overall lack of talent the offense looked disjointed.  Now we have talent but it's all young so it would seem reasonable it will look a bit maybe hectic is the word.  I get that maybe Briere isn't the guy but I'd argue that we need a bit more than Gionta, Moulson, and Legwand to help Bylsma get these extremely talented young players to play correctly.

Edited by 7+6=13

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.