Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

I wanna hug you.

(More soberly: I can see RJ doing a reduced workload for years to come - no road games, maybe half of the home dates, etc. With the idea being that he can call games that are meaningful again.)

I'm gonna get killed for this, but I'm ok with RJ riding off into the sunset.  Isn't this supposed to be his last year anyway?

<ducks>

And if I'm not dead yet, I will add that I thought Paul Hamilton was surprisingly good in the few games he did.  I know it's probably not happening, but I'd like to hear him call more Sabre games.

I'm gonna get killed for this, but I'm ok with RJ riding off into the sunset.  Isn't this supposed to be his last year anyway?

<ducks>

And if I'm not dead yet, I will add that I thought Paul Hamilton was surprisingly good in the few games he did.  I know it's probably not happening, but I'd like to hear him call more Sabre games.

RJ is not young and at the twilight of his broadcasting career and it's a sad reality, but who here wouldn't want to grow old doing what we love and being loved by many for doing it. May he call the SC winning game for the Sabres, then ride off into the sunset.

Last time it was like this across the board was 1970.

the cigarette smoke in the newsrooms was thick and the stenotype was blocking the doors

Speaking of 1970, in case anyone who followed the Buffalo Braves missed it, Bob Kaufman passed away at the age of 69. The Braves first true star and the consummate over-achiever.

I am young.  I will set the world on fire.  

Thank you, all three of you.

Maybe there should be a separate Sabres broadcasting thread, but I figured it was kind of relevant with the Black talk from earlier:

Is there a chance Buffalo leaves MSG when the deal expires in two years? I know Buffalo is the only team on MSG that provides their own crew and all that jazz, but the constant neglect of coverage outside of games has frustrated many.

The latest in the saga is that 'The Game 365: The Summer of the Sabres' has failed to air two consecutive nights in favor of NYC sports talk shows despite the program being promoted and on everybody's program guide.

There's wind whispering that Pegula might start up a regional sports network, like Empire Sports Network, that would broadcast all non-national Sabres games, Bisons games, Bandits games, local college hockey and other college sports (UB football?), and possibly other regional teams like the Americans, in addition to covering the Bills (they wouldn't get NFL games, but could do interviews and coverage).

That'd be a good job for Ted Black, as he was Sr VP/GM of FSN Pittsburgh with noted success.

Here's a writeup from back in May: Pegula hired a well-known consultant to think through what to do with Sabres games and related sports media.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

There's wind whispering that Pegula might start up a regional sports network, like Empire Sports Network, that would broadcast all non-national Sabres games, Bisons games, Bandits games, local college hockey and other college sports (UB football?), and possibly other regional teams like the Americans, in addition to covering the Bills (they wouldn't get NFL games, but could do interviews and coverage).

That'd be a good job for Ted Black, as he was Sr VP/GM of FSN Pittsburgh with noted success.

Here's a writeup from back in May: Pegula hired a well-known consultant to think through what to do with Sabres games and related sports media.

I remember that article. I have a hard time believe that Black would want to get involved after he the Pegulas and he agreed to part ways.

That article throws a ton of dirt on the idea that the Pegulas would start a regional sports network. I would be interested to see how many cities have something like that in which actual games are broadcasted live and almost exclusively.

A regional sports network sounds so brilliant. We had an entire other thread discussing it. But it's a rather expensive venture that would mean sacrificing easy revenue.

I'm interested to see where the Sabres broadcast rights end up. If we see a short-term deal it could be indicative of plans to start that network. If they go long-term then I think it makes it pretty unlikely.

(We do have another thread on this regional sports network talk but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now)

Edited by Hoss

I wonder if MSG would consider adding another channel to its lineup for Buffalo and Rochester Sports. Sabres and Amerks Games could be broadcast live, weekly shows with Disco Dan and Ryan could be shown and even something along the lines of Fan TV. And they could use Regular MSG Programming to fill in the void.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Is there a chance Buffalo leaves MSG when the deal expires in two years?

There's been some talk of TPegs rebooting Empire Sports Network.  I'd consider calling it One Buffalo. 

Alternately, I wouldn't mind joining ROOT sports network.  I think they're owned by DirecTV, but my sense is that the ROOT sports cities are a little more individually tailored than FoxSportsWhatever.  And with ROOT being in neighboring Pittsburgh they might be able to get some regional WNY/WPA coverage going.

There's been some talk of TPegs rebooting Empire Sports Network.  I'd consider calling it One Buffalo. 

Alternately, I wouldn't mind joining ROOT sports network.  I think they're owned by DirecTV, but my sense is that the ROOT sports cities are a little more individually tailored than FoxSportsWhatever.  And with ROOT being in neighboring Pittsburgh they might be able to get some regional WNY/WPA coverage going.

I actually thought they where a Fox Sports local station, but no matter same theory. ROOT sports does a good job covering  SW PA sports. They cover U of Pitt sports (WNY's UB), WVU (WNY version of Syracuse?), Penguins, Steelers, Buc's. They show Duquesne University (like Canisius) basketball . They have a show dedicated to the Steelers, plus pre and post game shows with high lights. If that is your model R Egg, a very well chosen one.

There's been some talk of TPegs rebooting Empire Sports Network. I'd consider calling it One Buffalo.

Alternately, I wouldn't mind joining ROOT sports network. I think they're owned by DirecTV, but my sense is that the ROOT sports cities are a little more individually tailored than FoxSportsWhatever. And with ROOT being in neighboring Pittsburgh they might be able to get some regional WNY/WPA coverage going.

I like ROOT a ton (Bylsma would be familiar because he had a show on there).

As far as naming for a potential regional network: One Buffalo Sports Network would work (OBSN). Or just BSN.

It was said in the other thread that there's plenty of potential for live content and talk shows, etc.

Sabres, Amerks, UB, Canisius, Niagara, Bonaventure, Bisons, Bandits and more that I'm likely missing.

Then there's Bills content.

One huge key is that so many large sports personalities hanging around Buffalo would open up space for them to have their own shows or be a part of others. Marty Biron is great in TV and is around with Harborcenter. Peters gets around. It would be fun to see.

I still doubt it, but we'll see.

Edited by Hoss

I have a distaste for Fox Sports branding and production.  MSG branding is tolerable (and the production is very much enhanced by our on- and off-camera crew).  Watch Fox Sports PTDucks sometime.  Brutal.

My biggest problem with Fox Sports is their insistence on having Joe Buck in the MLB postseason. I'll never forget his call of the 2011 WS; Game 6, Cardinals make a crazy comeback, and Joe Buck has no emotion, at all.

I didn't know that they listed active users here. Maybe that's why he was suspended?  :bag:

Even though you are my long time arch nemesis, ever since the Big Showdown back in '13, the likes of which this board will never see (the mods deleted it), and will never see again (Fight of the Century), you are starting to come up with some great one-liners.

Respect.

Tee to the hee.  :flirt:

Even though you are my long time arch nemesis, ever since the Big Showdown back in '13, the likes of which this board will never see (the mods deleted it), and will never see again (Fight of the Century), you are starting to come up with some great one-liners.

Respect.

Tee to the hee. :flirt:

You've been embracing your enemies lately. It's beautiful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.