Sabres Development Camp

Hoss

For the last few years, the kids at these camps were the only glimmer of hope we had as a fan base. We're at the point now where that hope is finally about what will go on in the regular season. That's what this team is now going to start to push on the fans, the present. This game is just a blip on the PR radar. They've got far more important things to worry about.

Maybe, but I fully expect to be hearing about how they sold out a prospect scrimmage in July for the foreseeable future every time they pimp the idea of hockey heaven. So the negative PR may he a blip, but I'd be surprised if the positive aspect wasn't utilized for awhile.

Now excuse me as I go wash PA's stench off.

Maybe, but I fully expect to be hearing about how they sold out a prospect scrimmage in July for the foreseeable future every time they pimp the idea of hockey heaven. So the negative PR may he a blip, but I'd be surprised if the positive aspect wasn't utilized for awhile.

Now excuse me as I go wash PA's stench off.

Hockey Heaven is supposed to actually be in Buffalo, right?

And speaking of that certain poster, it is always interesting how each time things are positive and upbeat around here, certain people disappear.

And speaking of that certain poster, it is always interesting how each time things are positive and upbeat around here, certain people disappear.

Which is weird, because bombastic negativity when times are good would be the perfect way to get a reaction.

I'm fairly certain this isn't directed anywhere near my direction, but, in defense of those who "take the summer off"...dude, WTF, it's summer and nice and hockey season is over.  You can't obsess over this sh*t 24/7/365. 

On the one hand, I'm glad there are those of you who, for whatever reason, keep the content fresh and interesting here over the summer, but on the other hand, I can't imagine having the time that some of you seem to have to post as much as you do in the off-season.  No judgment, mind you, just, when hockey season is over and it's nice out, it's difficult for me, and I'm sure many others, to fully engage.

I heard there was a drunk guy talking about potato vodka, I'm not sure what streaming potato vodka is but I'm all about this scrimmage now!

Netflix has the technology because I was able to stream the episode of Trailer Park Boys where Julian was making potato vodka in jail up in Canada. If Netflix and Canadian jails have the technology then why can't the Sabres do it? It's got to be Battista's fault or that meddling Pegula up to his old tricks again. This is a travesty of epic proportions. We want our livestream of the scrimmage, , and of that awesome potato!

I'm fairly certain this isn't directed anywhere near my direction, but, in defense of those who "take the summer off"...dude, WTF, it's summer and nice and hockey season is over. You can't obsess over this sh*t 24/7/365.

On the one hand, I'm glad there are those of you who, for whatever reason, keep the content fresh and interesting here over the summer, but on the other hand, I can't imagine having the time that some of you seem to have to post as much as you do in the off-season. No judgment, mind you, just, when hockey season is over and it's nice out, it's difficult for me, and I'm sure many others, to fully engage.

It's been nice out? Did you move to Hawaii or something? :p

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have more free time in the summer than during the season. No classes to teach + no travel time = hello Sabrespace :D

For the last few years, the kids at these camps were the only glimmer of hope we had as a fan base.  We're at the point now where that hope is finally about what will go on in the regular season.  That's what this team is now going to start to push on the fans, the present.  This game is just a blip on the PR radar.  They've got far more important things to worry about.

I wonder how many scouts will be at the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the play of some players tonight makes another trade possible to get a defenseman. 

Never mind watching Eichel (after all, he's just a curly headed ###### anyway), I want to hear more about this potato sitting on the table. Will it be a Russett? Yukon Gold? Red/new? Will it just sit there or will it chopped it up into French fries? If so, what kind of fries? Shoestring, crinkle, potato wedges, curly or waffle? etc. Maybe they just mash it up and make potato vodka out of it. I've got to know and please tell me they'll be streaming it.

Real fans, even ones thousands of miles away would take time off from work (or quit if the boss turns them down) buy a plane ticket and show up in person. Anyone else just doesn't count because they aren't real fans, with the exception of those of us who will be watching the potato sitting on the table that pi2000 brought up.

woah

http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/entertainment/11590-potato-gets-490-million-views-youtube.html

General observation: I think it was pretty obvious which players had been through this before and were older than the rest.

General observation #2: With all of the excitement, it was hard to remember that it was just a prospects game with a bunch of players who will never sniff the NHL. Seeing so many players falling all over the place and being weak on their skates was a swift reminder of this.

General observation #3: There were some pretty bad boarding hits throughout. I know these guys are fighting to make an impression, but never like to see faces in the glass. 

General observation #4: Why do people insist on turning parking ramps into a demolition derby? The line is single file and going really slow, the time you save by nearly T-boning somebody can be counted on one hand--just be patient and let the traffic file out. Also, the F'n honking...now this may come as a shock to you, but it doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Reinhart, of course, was fantastic. I really like his quick-touch passing, it's like he knows right where he's going with the puck before it's even on his stick. Separately, I wonder if all of the Eichel hype gets to him. I know they're teammates and all, but he's an elite prospect in his own right, so I wonder how it sits that he often seems forgotten. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it could be a little motivation. Anyway, I'd be really surprised if he starts in the AHL; he's ready.

Eichel was okay. On the one hand, his line was by far the most dangerous Gold line, and about the only one to generate any real dangerous offensive chances. He had a few gorgeous passes that his teammates either didn't convert, or in a few cases, obviously didn't see coming--to say his hockey sense is at a different level would be an understatement. Looking forward to watching him with NHL wings. On the other hand, aside from that time Reinhart had to tackle him to prevent him from going to the net unchecked, Reinhart once again got the better of him (first time being at the WJC). It seemed any time Eichel's line generated offensive zone pressure, Reinhart's line wasn't on the ice. He may very well have been tired and a bit gassed (the short shifts lend some credence to this), but I think Reinhart deserves a ton of credit. That said, he wasn't in the best situation because Gold seemed so overmatched, and the majority of his shift starts seemed to be in the defensive zone.

I liked everything about Carrier's game. Defensive zone play, offensive zone play, decision-making on the rush. He was great. One turnover to Eichel on a bad zone exit pass, but whatever.

Really hope Bailey puts it all together. You can see the natural talent, the speed and physicality, but he did sometimes seem a bit lost in the offensive zone working the cycle--lost sight of the puck a few times and kind of spun around. He was great overall, but you can tell he needs AHL time.

Karabacek looked pretty good during the game, but was really weak on both his penalty shot and shootout attempts. Weak flutters to the five hole both times that never really stood a chance.

Kasdorf not only didn't allow a goal, but was smooth and in control. I can only think of one instance off the top of my head where I thought he overplayed and nearly cost himself a goal. 

Fasching is going to be a monster in a cycle game if he makes it. He's not as flashy as Bailey, but I thought his offensive zone play was more sound.

McCabe was just solid, and probably deserves as much credit as Reinhart for limiting Eichel. His pinch and battle win that led to an early Blue goal was great.

Definitely not Baptiste's best work. His shootout goal was a nice snipe, but overall he looked very hesitant out there. He over-passed a couple of times when he had clean looks instead of just taking the shot. 

Edit: Forgot to mention Olofsson. On a weak Gold team, he stood out with his great wheels--led to a couple of nice rush chances for him.

Edit 2: Put this in the wrong thread. Move, or leave it, whatever. 

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Nice write-up Blue. Agree with pretty much all of it.

Would add that Cornel looked good, especially early. I'm feeling better about what I thought was a sketchy pick.

Wish I could say the same for Hurley.

And there is not a lot behind McCabe to get excited about on D at the moment.

General observation #4: Why do people insist on turning parking ramps into a demolition derby? The line is single file and going really slow, the time you save by nearly T-boning somebody can be counted on one hand--just be patient and let the traffic file out. Also, the F'n honking...now this may come as a shock to you, but it doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Haha, I was in the Sabres parking ramp, took me atleast 20 minutes to pull out of my spot let alone get out of the garage. The constant honking was quit annoying. I was actually very surprised there was no t-bones or accidents. 

Haha, I was in the Sabres parking ramp, took me atleast 20 minutes to pull out of my spot let alone get out of the garage. The constant honking was quit annoying. I was actually very surprised there was no t-bones or accidents.

It took me nearly 4 years to realize what you guys meant when you said parking ramp.

Don't tell me you're one of those garage people.

Of course I am.

Hey, in this part of Pennsylvania, they call it a "parkade." The first time I heard that, I thought they said arcade. It was mass confusion.

So glad i live in northern europe, honking is very annoying and the Italians are champions in it :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.