The Ryan O'Reilly Contract Extension

LGR4GM

Can someone please explain to me how this guy is worth $7.5 per year?

When I look at the list of guys making that kind of money, he just isn't in the same category: Ryan Suter, Pavel Datsyuk, Shea Weber, Kris Letang, Steven Freaking Stamkos, Tuukka Rask, both Sedins, and the list goes on. These are full-blown stars, scoring machines, and even some centerpiece players.

I understand it's a new year and contract values go up with the higher salary cap, but any more than $6.25 million per for this guy is going to be a massive albatross, especially when it comes time to sign all of this blue-chip talent Murray has drafted. 60 points and some leadership and grit is great, but in what universe does a guy like this command $7.5 million long term??? He's only had two good seasons, and they were GOOD, not GREAT.

This is a classic Kool-Aid situation!

When I look at the list of guys making that kind of money, he just isn't in the same category: Ryan Suter, Pavel Datsyuk, Shea Weber, Kris Letang, Steven Freaking Stamkos, Tuukka Rask, both Sedins, and the list goes on. These are full-blown stars, scoring machines, and even some centerpiece players.

I understand it's a new year and contract values go up with the higher salary cap, but any more than $6.25 million per for this guy is going to be a massive albatross, especially when it comes time to sign all of this blue-chip talent Murray has drafted. 60 points and some leadership and grit is great, but in what universe does a guy like this command $7.5 million long term??? He's only had two good seasons, and they were GOOD, not GREAT.

O'Reilly is regarded as one of the best 2 way players in the game as well as being a heart and soul, non stop effort kind of guy. This is EXACTLY the type of player any team would love to have on a championship run....7.5 mill for a guy who is borderline #1 center (not here though)....I'll take it

:wallbash:  :wallbash:

Here is the link to the TBN source

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/07/03/sabres-oreilly-agree-to-contract-extension-source-tells-the-news/

Chris Drury v2.  We let him get away once.  Never again.

Here is a 15 page thread discussing the pro's and con's of ROR

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23375-the-ryan-oreilly-super-thread-2015/

I go back and forth on this.  In a perfect world, I'd like to see a guy like this under contract long term for $5m-6m a year.  A 2 way center is great, but you usually reserve top Dollars for someone who will fill the net with the best of them. (a consistent 25+ goal scorer, year after year)

I guess you have to look at the fact that the cap LOOKS like it is going to go up considerably in the next few years.  IN the early years of the contract, the cap hit may be close to (or slightly over) 10% of your entire cap, but in the later years, if it is down to 8% that is a pretty good deal.

I don't know.  I would like for them to have a player, as good as he is, like him for $6 a year tops.....but demand is what it is...if you want something bad enough, you have to pay the asking price.  Truth is...the Sabres don't have any other options available to them right now that are 85-90% as good as him that they can pay 85-90% as much as they are going to pay him.

Edited by mjd1001

When you look at the money other players are making, you have to take into account difference in context at the time the contract was signed. Things like player age, RFA vs. UFA status, cap ceiling, and CBA all matter. Stamkos, for example, had 4 more RFA years left when he signed his deal which greatly suppressed its value, whereas O'Reilly will be a UFA. Weber and Suter both signed contracts under the previous CBA with three "fake" years tacked onto the end to lower the AAV of the contracts, and this structure is no longer possible under the new CBA. Weber's contract on the books is 14 years $110 million, but max contract length is now 8 years. If you chop off those last 6 years, it becomes a $92 million contract over 8 years, for an annual cap hit of $11.5 million. Datsyuk and the Sedins were in their mid-30s when they signed their new deals, past their prime, and likely to decline--regardless of what you think of O'Reilly, those things do not apply to him for this contract. Is this truly a koolaid situation, or simply a matter of having proper information?

@BuffNewsVogl: The Sabres have locked up Ryan O'Reilly. A deal will be announced soon.

So much for the hysteria that he set himself up perfectly and was hitting UFA no matter what.

You are over (or perhaps under) thinking it. There is only one explanation: he's worth $7.5m because someone is willing to pay him $7.5m per year. Period. 

Any comparisons to other players, their stats, salaries, etc., is just noise that misses the point entirely. 

GO SABRES!!!

I go back and forth on this.  In a perfect world, I'd like to see a guy like this under contract long term for $5m-6m a year.  A 2 way center is great, but you usually reserve top Dollars for someone who will fill the net with the best of them. (a consistent 25+ goal scorer, year after year)

I guess you have to look at the fact that the cap LOOKS like it is going to go up considerably in the next few years.  IN the early years of the contract, the cap hit may be close to (or slightly over) 10% of your entire cap, but in the later years, if it is down to 8% that is a pretty good deal.

I don't know.  I would like for them to have a player, as good as he is, like him for $6 a year tops.....but demand is what it is...if you want something bad enough, you have to pay the asking price.  Truth is...the Sabres don't have any other options available to them right now that are 85-90% as good as him that they can pay 85-90% as much as they are going to pay him.

"Top dollar" is a constantly moving target. Compared to others, he's not making close to top dollar; he's closer to "middling dollar." 

As contracts continue to escalate in value, his deal will look more and more middling, too. 

GO SABRES!!!

You are over (or perhaps under) thinking it. There is only one explanation: he's worth $7.5m because someone is willing to pay him $7.5m per year. Period. 

Any comparisons to other players, their stats, salaries, etc., is just noise that misses the point entirely. 

GO SABRES!!!

"Top dollar" is a constantly moving target. Compared to others, he's not making close to top dollar; he's closer to "middling dollar." 

As contracts continue to escalate in value, his deal will look more and more middling, too. 

GO SABRES!!!

Using that logic I guess Cody Hodgson was worth $4.25mil/yr. 

GO SABRES!!!

You're wrong. In the ROR thread we ran the numbers.  Paying him 7.5 will bump him a little lower but at 8mil per season it would make him one of the top 20 paid players in the NHL, that isn't closer to middling at all. 

@john_wawrow: @sabretoof @BulldogWGR Sorry. Been busy focusing on World Cup. Just filed: O'Reilly agrees to 7-year extension with #Sabres, per AP source.

@(null): O'Reilly will receive 8 million in Sabres per year. Congratulations to your agent, a lot of competence.

From an ESPN Brazil Soccer Reporter???

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.