The Ryan O'Reilly Contract Extension

LGR4GM

can't sign him for 8 because he is not re-signing with us. max deal's term is 7 years.

They can't go 8 years because he wasn't a Sabre at the last trade deadline.

Now, if they wanted to wait until after the NEXT trade deadline, they could offer him 8 years.

7's good. ;)

I think they're waiting until tomorrow or after the Eichel newser to announce it. He's likely in town already since he lives about three hours north of here and said he would be coming to the city within a few days.

Frankly, I won't be surprised at anything, unless it comes in way low.  We knew all along this guy will cost a premium.  No one seemed to care in the ROR thread, so, no one should be shocked at whatever the terms are.

Frankly, I won't be surprised at anything, unless it comes in way low.  We knew all along this guy will cost a premium.  No one seemed to care in the ROR thread, so, no one should be shocked at whatever the terms are.

Some of us cared and cared quite a bit. His upcoming contract is one of the reasons I didn't want him to begin with because he's going to get top line center money and within a year or two he won't be playing top line center. I just hope he signs for less than $8 million per year at this point.

Some of us cared and cared quite a bit. His upcoming contract is one of the reasons I didn't want him to begin with because he's going to get top line center money and within a year or two he won't be playing top line center. I just hope he signs for less than $8 million per year at this point.

Agreed. Though I'm expecting $8 mil/year, so I've come to terms with it now. Anything more and I'm livid, anything less and I'm a pretty happy camper

can't sign him for 8 because he is not re-signing with us. max deal's term is 7 years.

I thought we were re-signing him. he is under contract with us right now.

Yeah, me too. We assumed his contract the minute the trade was consummated by the league. 

THAT just happened.

Aud Smell is on the ropes.

They can't go 8 years because he wasn't a Sabre at the last trade deadline.

Now, if they wanted to wait until after the NEXT trade deadline, they could offer him 8 years.

7's good. ;)

Wait - what just happened? I'm on the ropes? What? Who the -- I'm so confused.

Work's been nuts. I understand the CBA stuff only very dimly.

So, the Sabres can go 8 because he's "their guy" right now? Or no?

Also, fwiw, I thought I was copying and pasting part of a Tweet from some TSN guy who said Sabres can only sign O'Reilly for 7 years.

I'll not soon venture out of the foxhole again on this technical sh!t.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Thats in line with what I thought it was going to be. 7-8 mil a year. Just depended on length.

Don't discount girth. 

GO SABRES!!!

Also, fwiw, I thought I was copying and pasting part of a Tweet from some TSN guy who said Sabres can only sign O'Reilly for 7 years.

I think Taro cleared it up for all of us. It was a function of what team he was on as of the last trade deadline. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.