The Ryan O'Reilly Contract Extension

LGR4GM

For anyone complaining about this.....seriously? Are you crazy?  We just acquired a 24 year old player who is capable of winning the Selke trophy. He led the entire NHL in takeaways over the last 2 seasons & already has a Lady Byng.  Whenever he has been given more responsibility....he has thrived. Most important is that O'Reilly can eat top minutes, win important draws, take away the other team's best player &&& take pressure off Eichel & Reinhart. The value of that cannot be understated.  It could be the reason why the Oilers young players have failed to develop properly.  Ideally it would be 7 X 7 for the contract but honestly for an extra 500k...who cares.  We gave up a player who could be out of the league within 2 years, an enigmatic Zadorov who has plenty of potential but may not have the hockey sense to develop. Compher had no place in this lineup. McGinn can fill in on your 2nd line and you won't miss a beat.

Getting this done ASAP is huge for the atmosphere around the team.
It sends a message league wide that The Buffalo Sabres will pay to keep talent.

For anyone complaining about this.....seriously? Are you crazy?  We just acquired a 24 year old player who is capable of winning the Selke trophy. He led the entire NHL in takeaways over the last 2 seasons & already has a Lady Byng.  Whenever he has been given more responsibility....he has thrived. Most important is that O'Reilly can eat top minutes, win important draws, take away the other team's best player &&& take pressure off Eichel & Reinhart. The value of that cannot be understated.  It could be the reason why the Oilers young players have failed to develop properly.  Ideally it would be 7 X 7 for the contract but honestly for an extra 500k...who cares.  We gave up a player who could be out of the league within 2 years, an enigmatic Zadorov who has plenty of potential but may not have the hockey sense to develop. Compher had no place in this lineup. McGinn can fill in on your 2nd line and you won't miss a beat.

Well said but  I have a question...... why is there a Lady Byng award in hockey? Just doesn't seem to fit

Great points, I agree with so much of this. I guess I won't be happy until I see results on the ice. Your arguments have made me feel better about this though :)

Acquiring O'Reilly, especially at the price we did, is BY FAR Murray's best move.  It's an acquisition that completely remakes our team and sets up Eichel and Reinhart for success moving forward.  

The contract extension is expensive but if you're a Sabres fan who lived through the Peca, Drury, and Briere debacles, it feels like a huge win. 

Edited by Robviously

Acquiring O'Reilly, especially at the price we did, is BY FAR Murray's best move.  It's an acquisition that completely remakes our team and sets up Eichel and Reinhart for success moving forward.  

The contract extension is expensive but if you're a Sabres fan who lived through the Peca, Drury, and Briere debacles, it feels like a huge win. 

Tanking is by far Murray's best move, IMO, though that may be a topic we've thoroughly beaten to death.

Tank aside, they actually did manage to get O'Reilly for cheaper than I anticipated, albeit 500k cheaper, and if he turns out to be the next Drury or Brier, I chalk it up as a major win. Also, as you and others have mentioned, his biggest impact on this team may never be quantitatively measured or even perhaps appreciated: allowing Reinhart and Eichel more time and less pressure to develop properly. 

Edited by WildCard

Tanking is by far Murray's best move, IMO, though that may be a topic we've thoroughly beaten to death.

Tank aside, they actually did manage to get O'Reilly for cheaper than I anticipated, albeit 500k cheaper, and if he turns out to be the next Drury or Brier, I chalk it up as a major win. Also, as you and others have mentioned, his biggest impact on this team may never be quantitatively measured or even perhaps appreciated: allowing Reinhart and Eichel more time and less pressure to develop properly. 

He didn't start the Tank, but I definitely think actively choosing not to stop the Tank was his best decision.  It would have been tempting as a new GM to instantly make some moves to get the team out of the basement to prove you could make them better.

In terms of "moves" (i.e. trades and signings), I think O'Reilly is hands-down his best.  In terms of decisions, not stopping the Tank is his best for sure.

He didn't start the Tank, but I definitely think actively choosing not to stop the Tank was his best decision.  It would have been tempting as a new GM to instantly make some moves to get the team out of the basement to prove you could make them better.

In terms of "moves" (i.e. trades and signings), I think O'Reilly is hands-down his best.  In terms of decisions, not stopping the Tank is his best for sure.

No arguments here, well said.

That piece didn't really dissuade me from liking the O'Reilly signing, if anything it made me more appreciative.

When I first read it, I didn't look at the source, and thought that one of the Buffalo News hatchet men was already on O'Reilly's case.

Yep.  The infusion of this much talent in such a short period of time is unprecedented for this team.

This is very true, and the Sabres as an organization seem to be going about the PR of it all very well considering it wasn't that long ago the debacle of Hasek's tribute was shown to us. It just seems inevitable that at some point they are going to have some sort of PR brain fart, or maybe it's just me?

This is very true, and the Sabres as an organization seem to be going about the PR of it all very well considering it wasn't that long ago the debacle of Hasek's tribute was shown to us. It just seems inevitable that at some point they are going to have some sort of PR brain fart, or maybe it's just me?

We are not that far removed from Pat LaLa

Matthew Coller does a collection of gifs to highlight what makes O'Reilly so special. TBH I think it's a really poor analysis: nothing that really exemplifies his game is shown here, but here it is FWIW

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-O-Reilly-is-really-good-An-analysis-in-5-Vine/21718267

Coller is good with the stats, not so good, it appears, with the film (such as it is in this piece).

Seriously - weren't like 3 of the clips taken from a single shift? (With another just being a shootout funsie.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.