The Ryan O'Reilly Contract Extension

LGR4GM

@john_wawrow: @sabretoof @BulldogWGR Sorry. Been busy focusing on World Cup. Just filed: O'Reilly agrees to 7-year extension with #Sabres, per AP source.

@(null): O'Reilly will receive 8 million in Sabres per year. Congratulations to your agent, a lot of competence.

From an ESPN Brazil Soccer Reporter???

Sabres have reported 7 yr extension, not sure of $ yet.

so it took an extra couple days to confirm but with ROR locked up for the next 8 seasons, I would say Tim Murray did well to acquire him and sign him all in the same week.

ROR contract very interesting. Salary is $1M per year. Rest is signing bonus: 10, 8, 7.5, 5, 5, 5 and 5.

You're wrong. In the ROR thread we ran the numbers. Paying him 7.5 will bump him a little lower but at 8mil per season it would make him one of the top 20 paid players in the NHL, that isn't closer to middling at all.

Again, it's all relative. Relative to some existing deals, sure, it's upper tier. But relative to the next round of contracts under this CBA? Not so much. Toews new deal, if we use that as the benchmark for what top-end deals will look like, is $10.5 million. O'Reilly's deal puts him at 71% of that. Maybe the high end of the mid level, but it's clearly not superstar pay.

Again, it's all relative. Relative to some existing deals, sure, it's upper tier. But relative to the next round of contracts under this CBA? Not so much. Toews new deal, if we use that as the benchmark for what top-end deals will look like, is $10.5 million. O'Reilly's deal puts him at 71% of that. Maybe the high end of the mid level, but it's clearly not superstar pay.

but we can't say that yet until the cap goes up more. What happens if we see another year where it is a 1-2mil increase? Or several years of that?  I am not arguing paying him what we did just that he is not being paid as a middle tier player. He is being paid as top player for his team, which is fine. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7.5, even better. Why does the contract being signing bonus heavy matter? How is it functionally different than other contracts? I'm assuming 7.5 will be the cap #

by paying him more in signing bonus, it protects his salary from escrow payments from what I can gather.

but we can't say that yet until the cap goes up more. What happens if we see another year where it is a 1-2mil increase? Or several years of that? I am not arguing paying him what we did just that he is not being paid as a middle tier player. He is being paid as top player for his team, which is fine.

Cap increases don't matter for this conversation. With the elimination of phantom years at the end of contracts, annual values for the best players are going to be higher regardless of what happens with the cap. Just like how Malkin makes more than Crosby, lesser players under this CBA will have higher cap hits than players signed under the last CBA. People have to adjust perceptions going forward. Again, Toews making $10.5 million next year has nothing to do with the cap ceiling and everything to do with being unable to artificially reduce that figure with three $1 million years at the end.

Cap increases don't matter for this conversation. With the elimination of phantom years at the end of contracts, annual values for the best players are going to be higher regardless of what happens with the cap. Just like how Malkin makes more than Crosby, lesser players under this CBA will have higher cap hits than players signed under the last CBA. People have to adjust perceptions going forward. Again, Toews making $10.5 million next year has nothing to do with the cap ceiling and everything to do with being unable to artificially reduce that figure with three $1 million years at the end.

I understand there will be a bump in player salary because of the elimination of back diving deals but ROR is still being paid as one of the top players in the league.  How long that will last because of the new CBA is uncertain. 

I understand there will be a bump in player salary because of the elimination of back diving deals but ROR is still being paid as one of the top players in the league. How long that will last because of the new CBA is uncertain.

It's only uncertain because we're lazy. It not hard to look at when the next wave of stars need new UFA contracts, just a lot of work :p

Glad it was under the $8 million average I was expecting and I'm also happy his contract is front loaded within the CBA guidelines. Earning just $6 million in each of the last 4 years should make his contract more attractive to budget teams should we ever have to move him in the future when we no longer need him to play center in the top 6 because Eichel and Reinhart grow into those positions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.