Free Agent Frenzy 2015

spndnchz

I see Chris Stewart is still unsigned. I would love to see him added back into the mix here with the Sabres. As a big body to add to the mix of the bottom six, IMO, there is great value there.

In the mix for our bottom six currently: Larsson, Foligno, McGinn, David Legwand, Cody McCormick and Zemgus Girgensons. We've moved on from Stewart.

In the mix for our bottom six currently: Larsson, Foligno, McGinn, David Legwand, Cody McCormick and Zemgus Girgensons. We've moved on from Stewart.

I was getting ready to comment that there isn't a single natural right winger in that entire list but you forgot Gionta who I believe will play RW on the 3rd line. We also have Deslauriers who will likely be penciled in on the 4th line. Without tradi g away a couple of forwards and sending Legwwand to Rochester though, I agree that we don't seem to have the space for Chris Stewart anymore.

I was getting ready to comment that there isn't a single natural right winger in that entire list but you forgot Gionta who I believe will play RW on the 3rd line. We also have Deslauriers who will likely be penciled in on the 4th line. Without tradi g away a couple of forwards and sending Legwwand to Rochester though, I agree that we don't seem to have the space for Chris Stewart anymore.

I still see a spot in the top 6.  Legwand doesn't fit on the wing.  Gionta is a third line RW.  I could easily see Stewart here.  But, that's me.  They still need a defensemen.  Colaiacovo is not the answer.  He's a complete scrub.  

I see Chris Stewart is still unsigned. I would love to see him added back into the mix here with the Sabres. As a big body to add to the mix of the bottom six, IMO, there is great value there. 

I like that idea.

It'd be benefial for the Sabres to make room for Stewart. He's a quality, big sized right winger. Picture this bottom 6. 

Foligno, Girgensons, Gionta

Deslauriers, Larson, Stewart

That would be a tough bottom 6. Sure, changes would be have to made, but nothing involving a lot of thought. Stewart and Gionta could share the minutes.  

Edited by Thanes16

I like that idea.

It'd be benefial for the Sabres to make room for Stewart. He's a quality, big sized right winger. Picture this bottom 6.

That would be a tough bottom 6. Sure, changes would be have to made, but nothing involving a lot of thought. Stewart and Gionta could share the minutes.

Stewart will probably command $4 mill. I just don't see paying a 4th liner that much.

Also: he's not good. I'm very happy this team has a roster where Chris Stewart has no place.

Traditionally he's an NHL execs dream. Big, tough, skates like the wind, good hands but his fancy stats say it doesn't add up. A good case study for analytics.

Traditionally he's an NHL execs dream. Big, tough, skates like the wind, good hands but his fancy stats say it doesn't add up. A good case study for analytics.

Well, those dinosaurs are dying out. Stewart is useful as a role player in a run and gun type of offense, but despite his size he cannot work an effective cycle in the offensive zone (his inability to use his size and strength to shield the puck along the boards is borderline hilarious) and he doesn't play any defense, two reasons why Hitchcock severely limited his minutes in St. Louis. 

I was listing bigger bodies or guys that play big only so we can get rid of this idea that we need a big body. Stewart is bad.

Colaiacovo is not the answer.  He's a complete scrub.  

I think he is a very good #7.  They don't need him every day(you wouldn't want to with his injury history), but for the price they paid, if they can get 20-30 games out of him as an injury replacement, that would be great.

Key thing...he is healthy for the 20-30 games when you need him to be in the lineup.

I like that idea.

I don't think there is any place for Stewart on this roster, and at the price he will command, he wouldn't be slotted for 3rd-4th line minutes.   

Ennis-O'Reilly-Kane

Moulson-Eichel-Stewart

McGinn-Girgensons-Gionta

Foligno-Larsson-Deslauriers

How I would view it with Stewart included.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the concept of Chris Stewart! Everything about him screams top-6 forward except for his actual play on the ice. Larsson is twice the player Stewart is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the concept of Chris Stewart! Everything about him screams top-6 forward except for his actual play on the ice. Larsson is twice the player Stewart is.

I agree with all of this except that I think the jury is very much still out on Larsson.  But Stewart is very much a concept.

The two things I like about Stewart are his skating ability and fighting.

Everything else about him is very overrated. Big =\= hard to play against.

I'd pay him 1 mil to play on the 4th line because it'd be more fun to have another good fighter on the squad. If he ever took ice time from Foligno, Larsson, or Deslauriers I'd be disappointed.

Stewart will probably command $4 mill. I just don't see paying a 4th liner that much.

Everyday that goes by that "command" gets a little less. I can easily see Stewart signing a one year deal for less than $3 mil.  

I'd take Stewart over McGinn, Legwand and McCormick every time. 

Everyday that goes by that "command" gets a little less. I can easily see Stewart signing a one year deal for less than $3 mil.

I'd take Stewart over McGinn, Legwand and McCormick every time.

Legwand and McCormick for sure. I dont think there is room for him any longer, but i would have liked to see him on thw roster.

Legwand and McCormick for sure. I dont think there is room for him any longer, but i would have liked to see him on thw roster.

IMO, he improves the overall quality of the bottom six. Much like the top six, just because we have numbers and players we can feel comfortable with it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement or a need for additional depth. I am looking for the Sabres to be a playoff team this season, I would hate for the Sabres to be caught shorthanded. There are also some serious questions to be answered. Does Reinhart make the Sabres out of training camp? At 34, does Legwand even make the final roster. The same can be said for Jamie McGinn and McCormick, do they even make the roster. Gionta is 36, how many games can we reasonably expect him to play? 82? 69? 50? Less? There are also injuries and the specter of a trade for a d-man that may have to include a forward off the roster.

For these reasons, I can't get behind the idea of there not being room for Chris Stewart on this roster, especially if the commitment needed is a reasonable price for a short term. Which, IMO, is possible.  

Edited by DeLuca1967

IMO, he improves the overall quality of the bottom six. Much like the top six, just because we have numbers and players we can feel comfortable with it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement or a need for additional depth. I am looking for the Sabres to be a playoff team this season, I would hate for the Sabres to be caught shorthanded. There are also some serious questions to be answered. Does Reinhart make the Sabres out of training camp? At 34, does Legwand even make the final roster. The same can be said for Jamie McGinn and McCormick, do they even make the roster. Gionta is 36, how many games can we reasonably expect him to play? 82? 69? 50? Less? There are also injuries and the specter of a trade for a d-man that may have to include a forward off the roster.

For these reasons, I can't get behind the idea of there not being room for Chris Stewart on this roster, especially if the commitment needed is a reasonable price for a short term. Which, IMO, is possible.

I think McGinn not only makes the team out of camp, but I think he contributes and has a pretty solid year.

He's in a contract year. He's still young and has produced before. I think he could be a solid player and surprise some people, if given the chance.

With him, Foligno and Deslauriers...I see no reason to spend money on Chris Stewart, who had 3 goals in 26 games with the Wild, or something like that.

I think McGinn not only makes the team out of camp, but I think he contributes and has a pretty solid year.

He's in a contract year. He's still young and has produced before. I think he could be a solid player and surprise some people, if given the chance.

With him, Foligno and Deslauriers...I see no reason to spend money on Chris Stewart, who had 3 goals in 26 games with the Wild, or something like that.

Do you think the Sabres are deep enough? Here on July 4th when everyone is healthy the roster looks fine, it may look a lot different once the season rolls around. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.