51st overall pick: Brendan Guhle

Hoss

You can only have so many players under contract.  If memory serves, 53 sounds right.  Signing him now means not signing someone else.  Seems unusual for a 2nd rd selection to be signed so early.

I think the limit is 50, but the contract doesn't count against the limit if he's still in junior. It slides like Reinhart's did.

But signing a 2nd-rounder this early is definitely unusual, but maybe less unusual than it used to be.

I think the limit is 50, but the contract doesn't count against the limit if he's still in junior. It slides like Reinhart's did.

But signing a 2nd-rounder this early is definitely unusual, but maybe less unusual than it used to be.

I heard someone else talking about this a while back. There certainly is a trend developing with teams signing their draft choices early. Not sure why although I have heard some theories,

what a tease... go on... you have heard theories... please elaborate as I, for some unknown reason, am intrigued by this ongoing story in the sabres chronicles..  (without being demanding, as I do everything in my own sweet time and expect the same from those...)

SHOOTS L

Hmmmmm....

Well, that's the answer.

I think you can break down the reasons kids don't immediately jump into the NHL at 18 into four conceptual weaknesses: strength, skating, decision making with the puck, and play away from the puck. I can't speak to the latter two abilities for Guhle, but it sounds like his athleticism has made him close to NHL ready in the former two.

Sounds we're getting him in the pipeline and learning the mental side of the pro game asap.

• 1 month later...

With Risto and Gorges having injuries, I would keep him here for nine games. That way when Prince Albert is knocked out of the WHL Playoffs he will be ready to step in for the Sabres Playoff Run.

As long as we have space, I'd keep him up to 9 games played, then have Murray give him a list of to-dos like we did with Reinhart. Giving him a taste of the NHL can only help the kid.

They got a steal at #51. They will send him back but are setting him up for a big year by pumping up his tires in this fashion. He may get a few games if there are injuries.

I'll follow his progress in the WHL for sure. The World Juniors are a possibility now as well.

Can he turn into Scott Niedermayer?

Hamilton was on the Wednesday Hockey Hotline with Sylvester and Peters talking about how he could be NHL ready this season and that he looked especially well with Pysyk.  Additionally, that they could be a future pair.  Which is nice to dream on.  He really is looking special and not just another project. 

• 2 weeks later...

It makes his preseason play that much more impressive, doesn't it?  I mean, if he's that good before he bulks up, what's his ceiling?

I wasn't even thinking about bulking up -- he doesn't look particularly skinny.  I just meant he looks like he still eats his mom's mac'n'cheese for lunch and gets in trouble if he doesn't clean up his room.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.