51st overall pick: Brendan Guhle

Hoss

A heads-up defenseman who can really take a beating and dish it out as well. Built like a tank; grueling play doesn't phase him. Calm, collected, and poised with the puck; great body and stick positioning without the puck. Reliable at both ends of the ice and can be trusted with a hefty amount of ice time. All-in-all, a defenseman who strives to be difficult to play against, consistently, with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=63250#sthash.5TFwAlu1.dpuf

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=63250

Sounds like low-risk, medium-reward.  We need prospects on D so makes sense.

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Two of the players who performed best during the physical testing at the NHL Scouting Combine earlier this month in Buffalo were Boston University center Jack Eichel and Prince Albert Raiders defenseman Brendan Guhle.

They're now teammates with the Buffalo Sabres, who used the No. 2 pick of the 2015 NHL Draft on Friday to select Eichel. On Saturday, they selected Guhle at No. 51 in the second round.

"It's good city for me so far," Guhle said of Buffalo.

The 6-foot-1, 184-pound defenseman had five goals and 32 points in 72 games. But at the Combine he scored in the top 10 in seven categories, matching Eichel for the most among the prospects.

His best result came on the Wingate Ergometer stationary bike test, which measures a skater's explosive power in a 30-second burst. His score of 19.9 dwarfed the leader in that category at the 2014 Combine,Toronto Maple Leafs prospect William Nylander, who had a 17.5.

Guhle also had the best long jump at 122 inches; the fourth-highest vertical leap at 27 inches; tied for the third-most pull-ups with 12; tied for the fifth-fastest in the pro agility test starting right at 4.39 seconds; the seventh-fasted in the pro agility starting left at 4.47 seconds; and tied for the seventh-most repetitions on the bench press with 15.

"I was surprised about a couple things I did well," Guhle said of his Combine performance. "Better than I thought I did. And the interview went really well."

Guhle said he thought after his success at the Combine that the Sabres could be a landing spot for him.

"I had a pretty good feeling about them," he said. "And they had a lot of picks, which is a good sign."

I don't know anything about this guy, so whatever. All I know is Kylington was a pre-season top-5 lock, then slipped because of development stagnation, but was still projected top-25. That's the type of risk I take every single time at the back of the second round.

I read this description and all I can think of is Angelo Esposito, granted, he didn't fall anywhere near that far.

He is a write on Guhle

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/21/2015-nhl-draft-profile-73-brendan-guhle/

"Brendan Guhle is a very strong skater. He has excellent speed and acceleration in both directions. This allows him to pinch down low, or to join the rush, and still be able to get back defensively. He also has very good pivots and edgework, allowing him to maintain good gap control, and making him hard to beat to the outside. If there is a criticism to his skating, it is that he lacks lower body strength which takes away from his balance and power. He loses battles along the boards and is not strong enough on the puck right now. These aspects can definitely improve though as he adds core strength in the coming years."

• 4 weeks later...

Very surprising in the context of past practice.

That said, I don't know why they wouldn't do it.

You can only have so many players under contract.  If memory serves, 53 sounds right.  Signing him now means not signing someone else.  Seems unusual for a 2nd rd selection to be signed so early.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.