UFA & Trade - Dmen

IvanPutski

I don't think Ehrhoff wanted to be here, but it had nothing to do with the team/city, it had to do with the tank. With the 180 in team direction, I doubt that sentiment still exists.

When he originally signed people felt the Sabres were on the brink of being a contender for the Eastern Conference. And then the season started..... Yeah, peoples thoughts changed rather quick. 

Didn't Darcy have 4 days to sign him after getting the rights from the Islanders? From what I can recall the Sabres offer was roughly the same as the Islanders. He agreed to Buffalo's. Had no interest in New York's. To me that says he had a 'want' to be in Buffalo. 

I do agree w/ your opinion of once the Sabres went tank he wanted out. How many players would want to stay w/ a team that plans to lose? Also support your ZFG. Bring Ehrhoff back if he makes the team better. 

Edited by Thanes16

That would be ideal, but Murray implied he didn't want to be here when he bought him out.

My impression was Murray didn't like his attitude and Ehrhoff didn't like what Murray was implying.

Maybe I misread it. Hope I did.

Ehrhoff has unfinished business here and I'd love to see him earn his money.

I don't think Ehrhoff wanted to be here, but it had nothing to do with the team/city, it had to do with the tank. With the 180 in team direction, I doubt that sentiment still exists.

Agreed.

I think you're right TrueBlue with Ehrhoff not having anything against Buffalo, but I think Murray has something against him. No way he brings him back; Ehrhoff quit on us, wanted to leave, and now he'd come back after the dirty work is done? Doesn't seem like a Murray thing to do

Good stuff here gents.

Murray has stated a few times that he wants guys that want to be here. Sets a dangerous precedent if you bring Ehrhoff back IMO.

Would be a little surprised if Ehrhoff's back, but would be good w/ it.

Erhhoff had been 60 minutes from the Stanley Cup and then after 3 years of being worse than the year before was the sole good late 20's veteran player left after a 30th place team's firesale. And the only reason he wasn't traded is his contract made him untradeable (from the Sabres perspective). Hard to hold his shutting down against him given the circumstances.

GM Tim Murray put it out there that we are in the market for a left-hand-shot defensemen.  During the conversation he hinted at "acquiring" one and didn't rule out a trade for good reason.  The market for a left handed Dman in this years free agency is rather ripe...and not in a good way.

A majority are well over the age of 30 and are on the downside of their careers.  If the Sabres are looking for someone long term, they will have to either look at RFA or trade.  With RW being a hot topic of conversation for RFA Murray may need to put on his trading cap again.

From NHL.COM here are the lead candidates for left handed Dmen, in no specific order:

FRANCOIS BEAUCHEMIN, ANAHEIM DUCKS  35 years old

14-15 Season:  64 games,  11 goals, 12 assists, 23 points, +17, 48 PIM

Previous cap charge: $3.5 million

Beauchemin was the Ducks' No. 1 defenseman this season based on his ice time (22:44 per game). He had 23 points in 64 games, a plus-17 rating, and a 50.51 shot-attempts percentage (SAT). He had nine assists in 16 Stanley Cup Playoff games. He is 35 years old and can still be a valuable top-four defenseman on most teams. He'd still be a valuable veteran for the Ducks, who have a young group of defensemen in Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen, Cam Fowler, and Simon Despres who appear ready to take the next step in their careers. James Wisniewski, Clayton Stoner, Mark Fistric, and Josh Manson are also signed for next season. Beauchemin wants to return to Anaheim, but the question is how much should they be willing to pay a 35-year-old?

Notes:  Older defensemen, but one that could help Gorges tutor younger D-men and maybe allow a McCabe to season further in minors.  Still productive and clutch in post-season and averaged +/- of +20 over last three seasons.  Two year rental at most. 

PAUL MARTIN, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - 34 years old

14-15 Season:  74 games, 3 goals, 17 assists, 20 points, +17, 20 PIM

Previous cap charge: $5 million

The Penguins are in an interesting position with Martin. He was one of their top defensemen this season, particularly with Olli Maatta sidelined for the majority of the season and Christian Ehrhoff and Kris Letang out later in the season. He is still able to play upwards of 23 minutes per game and be effective. However, the Penguins have a glut of young defensemen who might be ready to play more significant minutes, including Derrick Pouliot, Scott Harrington, Brian Dumoulin, and restricted free agent Ian Cole. They also still have Letang, Maatta, Rob Scuderi, and Ben Lovejoy. They need to beef up their top-six forward group around Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. The money they use there might come from what Martin was making. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Tuesday that Martin's agent, Ben Hankinson, plans to meet with Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford in Florida at the 2015 NHL Draft to discuss Martin and potential contract options.

Notes: Obvious history with Bylsma makes him a possible candidate.  Played four seasons under former Penguins bench boss.  Another older player who can tutor younger players.  Another multi year rental.

CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - 33 years old

14-15 season:   49 games, 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points, +8, 26 PIM

Previous cap charge: $4 million

Ehrhoff is a valuable defensemen, but he's coming off a concussion. With so many young players who might be ready to assume bigger roles it's unlikely he'll be back in Pittsburgh. It was reported in May that Ehrhoff was selling his home in the Pittsburgh area. He was limited to 49 games this season because of injury, but he had 14 points and averaged 21:45 of ice time.

Notes:  Injuries & previous history with Sabres makes it highly unlikely for a return to Buffalo.

ANDREJ SEKERA, LOS ANGELES KINGS - 29 years old

14-15 season:  73 games, 3 goals, 20 assists, 23 points, -3, 14 PIM

Previous cap charge: $2.75 million

The Kings need a player like Sekera, especially with Robyn Regehr's retirement and the cloudy future of Slava Voynov because of his legal problems and his recent Achilles surgery. They gave up a conditional first-round draft pick and a prospect to get Sekera from the Carolina Hurricanes prior to the 2015 NHL Trade Deadline. The hope was Sekera would help the Kings make the playoffs. He played well, but they couldn't get in, and now there is the threat that he could leave. The Kings' defense depth chart isn't that deep, but Sekera would fit into a top-four role with Drew Doughty, Jake Muzzin, and potentially Alec Martinez.

Notes:  Former Sabre was traded away by ex GM Darcy Regier.  Year removed from 44 point season in 73 games for Carolina.  Still tread on the tires.  Has averaged 73 games over the last 4 non-strike seasons.

JOHNNY ODUYA, CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS - 34 years old

14-15 Season:  76 games, 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 points, +5, 26 PIM

Previous cap charge: $3.383 million

Arguably nobody enhanced his value more during the playoffs than Oduya, who appears headed for the market because of the Blackhawks' cap constraints. He was effective and played significant minutes (24:45 per game), especially in the final two rounds, to help Chicago win the Stanley Cup. Oduya is a two-time Cup champion who is 33 years old and still has a lot of mileage left, as he proved in the playoffs. He would be a good fit for a team that moves the puck well and has young defensemen that can skate, such as the Dallas Stars and Florida Panthers.

Notes:  As stated, Stanley Cup performance made him a hot commodity.  Having a two-cup winner and championship pedigree on your team of young defensemen has to be appealing, but another team on the verge of a championship may overbid for his services.  That, or he may not want to play for a team still a year or two away like Buffalo.

BARRET JACKMAN, ST. LOUIS BLUES - 34 years old

14-15 season:  80 games, 2 goals, 13 assists, 15 points, +3, 47 PIM

Previous cap charge: $3.167 million

The Blues have informed Jackman he won't be re-signed. He has played every one of his 803 NHL games with the Blues, but is now in the same boat as Michalek in that he's a veteran defenseman being nudged out. The only difference is Jackman has been a core member of the team for a long time. Jackman, 34, is still serviceable and would be a good addition to a team looking to bolster its blue line with a veteran, stay-at-home presence. His minutes, though, have been declining in recent seasons.

Notes:  Gritty D man who is on the downside of his career despite averaging 80 games in three of his last four seasons despite decrease in minutes.   Could be a cheaper alternative in a pinch.    

OTHER ALTERNATIVES:

Jordan Leopold, 35 years old

43g / 1g / 3a / 4p / -6 / 18

Notes:  Former Sabre who has had trouble staying healthy, averaging 36 games over the last three seasons.  Point production on the decline as well.  Sounds like he wants to stay in Minnesota.  If he doesn’t, his daughter better start penning more letters.

Tim Gleason, 32 years old

72 g, 1 g, 8 a, 9 p, -13, 55 PIM

Notes:  Another older veteran who seems to have his best games behind him.  Not a big fan and thinking we can do better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of this list, I feel Beauchemin, Martin, Sekera, and Oduya are the only true options.  These players allow the Sabres to have another veteran besides Gorges tutor the young defensemen on the team while allowing the prospects to grow more in the minors. 

But if TM is thinking long term to fill the need, he'll most likely have to go another direction.

Edited by dejeanneret

Why does someone named Ivan have a Polish hammer?  Wouldn't it be Jan with a Polish hammer or Ivan with a Russian one?  

Anyway:

Oduya

Carkner is a budget-friendly option

Wouldn't mind seeing Sekera again

Wouldn't mind seeing Biega move back and forth along 90

I'd love to see Sekera back here. I thought he played well under Lindy Ruff, but he really excelled in Carolina and Los Angeles.

Ivan is going to through out a name for everyone to consider as a target for GMTM.  It's a name to begin healthy debate on the board.  

Ivan will hunt you down and smack you with the Polish Hammer if you give him crap for bringing up this player!!!!

Cody Franson

Carry on...

Ah Ivan, this is why your wrestling career never went very far. You should have thrown them out of the ring rather than have some Oda Mae Brown moment. 

Honestly all of this just is depressing.  I guess Oduya, but I see him asking for 4 plus, and Martin breaks down.  I totally would prefer seeking out the trade market over this.  It's hard to get excited over mid 30's broken down variations of themselves.  Though Beauchmin did stay healthy last season.  I don't see him leaving Anaheim, now that they re-dumped Wisniewski.

Edited by TheCerebral1

Honestly all of this just is depressing.  I guess Oduya, but I see him asking for 4 plus, and Martin breaks down.  I totally would prefer seeking out the trade market over this.

As long as theres no long term, i wouldn't give either of those two guys more then two years, then who really cares about the money? If Oduya is their top target, offer him $5mil per for 2 seasons and let's go.

The obvious choices, to me, are Sekera and Oduya. Sekera will provide an offensive threat and can play the PP. Oduya will cream anyone just looking at Lehner and knows what it takes to be a winner.

Just sign them both and be done with it.

I should add that in Sekera's favour is his age, as well. There's still many good years left in him.

But I like the scary a pairing of Bogo and Oduya brings.

I overlooked Sekera!  He's the obvious guy, but in a top heavy market he's going to get a lot of money from someone.  I still think that there are more than likely better trade targets to go after.  But, he's a safe guy as we know him well. 

why not pull a Garth Snow move? wait till a week before season and cherry-pick a team in cap trouble for a Dman they would rather not give up with 2 of the Sabres 4 2nd rounders next year?

May sign a Benoit / Strachan type on July 1st but wait patiently for the big fish!

I don't see a team in the spot Boston and Chicago were with desirable defenseman to dump.

GM Tim Murray put it out there that we are in the market for a left-hand-shot defensemen.  During the conversation he hinted at "acquiring" one and didn't rule out a trade for good reason.  The market for a left handed Dman in this years free agency is rather ripe...and not in a good way.

A majority are well over the age of 30 and are on the downside of their careers.  If the Sabres are looking for someone long term, they will have to either look at RFA or trade.  With RW being a hot topic of conversation for RFA Murray may need to put on his trading cap again.

From NHL.COM here are the lead candidates for left handed Dmen, in no specific order:

Not sure how much more room we have for long-term "core" guys with Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, O'Reilly, Zemgus, Ennis, Risto, Bogo, Pysyk, and McCabe already here.  At least for this summer.

Signing two of the UFAs you listed would solidify us on the blue line and add some older guys to the young core.  I'm guessing Sekera will want a long-term deal that we probably can't do, but some combo of Oduya, Beauchemin, Martin would be awesome.  

why not pull a Garth Snow move? wait till a week before season and cherry-pick a team in cap trouble for a Dman they would rather not give up with 2 of the Sabres 4 2nd rounders next year?

May sign a Benoit / Strachan type on July 1st but wait patiently for the big fish!

I think the Sabres had 4 3rd round picks; not 2nd rounders.  Down to 3 now with the Bylsma hire.

So they have their 1st, no 2nds and 3 3rds?  Is that right?

They still have their ow 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in addition to 2 other 3rds, a 4th, 2 5ths, a 6th, and 2 7ths.

The Habs have the Sabres 2016 2nd from the Gorges trade.

Oh wait - they have the Minny pick don't they?

Edited by nobody

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.