Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Gionta could actually be the most improved player this year with some play makers on the team.

His end of the season really impressed me, he seemed unwilling to quit or pack it in, and was putting up points rather rapidly. If I have to guess, I think he has a resurgence year this year as his passion is fed by the other great players around him. No longer does he have to play to the extent he was last year.

Gionta could actually be the most improved player this year with some play makers on the team.

I like the idea of him mentoring Sam and Moulson with Jack on lines three and two.

Nice mesh of skills and personalities.

I will also say that this is exactly why each of these guys was signed last summer.

Toffoli only got a 2-year deal at $6.5 mil/year, not sure he wants to be there long term, and LA is cap-strapped. He was obtainable

LA needs Toffoli, but they can only do so much. Toffoli just played his cards right and sped up his next big contract. I wouldn't say he was obtainable just because he signed a short term deal. That said, he will be attainable in 2 years if the Sabres want him then.

Pre draft Van was asking for a 2. They settled for a 3+. I would have offered 51. I wouldn't have made the ROR deal. Palmier I, a rw, went for 41. Etem and Hagelin were in play but don't know if we could have put the package together. If Zadorov was going to be moved I think we could have gotten a young piece from Dallas or Detroit without a max contract. I liked Boeser a lot. We could also have moved back in the first for more 2's and and gotten Blackwood or another. I like Guhlen(?), but liked Chabot and Larson more. We are carrying McGinn and Legwands contracts when we could have used them in FA. In a draft this deep, we only got two players in the first two rounds. The point is we Jack was a given but we could have probably came away with more pieces from rounds 1 and 2. I also would have rather been in on the Hamilton deal than Oreilly. But i was not at the table and GMTM was. So perhaps this was the best we could do. We will never know and it is time to move on. FA next.

I think it's the wrong way to look at it.  In a draft this deep the Sabres took their 3 picks and decided that rather than wait 3-4 years and see IF the player will pan out they would rather have those 3-4 years removed from the equation and sign players that have already panned out. They shortened the timeline, reduced the risk.  Essentially they cherry picked good players who didn't fit to the team they were on. What allowed them to do this? Having the ability to send picks and prospects to those teams. They were dealing from a position of strength and used it in my opinion.

The Sabres were never going to benefit from having 8-10 prospects all hitting contracts at the same time. They needed to space it out more and they did that.

Edited by LTS

LA needs Toffoli, but they can only do so much. Toffoli just played his cards right and sped up his next big contract. I wouldn't say he was obtainable just because he signed a short term deal. That said, he will be attainable in 2 years if the Sabres want him then.

I think it's the wrong way to look at it.  In a draft this deep the Sabres took their 3 picks and decided that rather than wait 3-4 years and see IF the player will pan out they would rather have those 3-4 years removed from the equation and sign players that have already panned out. They shortened the timeline, reduced the risk.  Essentially they cherry picked good players who didn't fit to the team they were on. What allowed them to do this? Having the ability to send picks and prospects to those teams. They were dealing from a position of strength and used it in my opinion.

The Sabres were never going to benefit from having 8-10 prospects all hitting contracts at the same time. They needed to space it out more and they did that.

Murray thinks like Whaley thinks with the Bills. Good GMs think short term, mid term, and long term all at the same time, and work out all kinds of scenarios like with algorithms in their heads. Fans think in terms of each individual deal. Not saying that Murray is going to be right or Whaley is always right. But there is a clear plan and strategy and it's always at play.

good post.

When I was telling my family about the trade, my sister asked who Rhino Riley was. That's what I'm going to call him, Rhino, I think, from now on.

The center depth we have is so crazy that I keep forgetting Legwand and Larsson exist.

I can't remember who brought it up, but as far as pairing two players and then finding a guy to complement them, I have to think O'Reilly-Ennis would be intriguing. Kane-Reinhart and Eichel-Moulson too, as long as Moulson can still skate. Girgensons and Foligno and Larsson and McGinn and whoever else can be slid around these pairs for optimal chemistry.

Cannot wait for October, fans will be crazy when Kane-Rawwwrrr-Ennis or something of the sort hit the ice.

Radar: Ryan O'Reilly. The nickname is an homage to the youthful, nerdy MASH character Radar O'Reilly. Had player O'Reilly's first name not started with the letter R, the nickname never would have stuck.

Radar: Ryan O'Reilly. The nickname is an homage to the youthful, nerdy MASH character Radar O'Reilly. Had player O'Reilly's first name not started with the letter R, the nickname never would have stuck.

As long as they don't call him hot lips

Considering that Toffoli signed a very cap friendly bridge deal before he had a chance to be offer sheeted, what are the chances he would have agreed to one?

A solid point. Either Toffoli wants to cash in big on UFA, or he just doesn't want to be in LA. I guess time will tell. 

I get the impression some are seriously underestimating ROR.

On the bright side, you will be that much more ecstatic when he shows you why he is considered one of the best two-way players in the game.

Enjoy.

GO SABRES!!!

All I've wanted...and Lehner was my favorite goalie, besides Gibson. Amazing weekend...so freaking happy and excited!

I get the impression some are seriously underestimating ROR.

On the bright side, you will be that much more ecstatic when he shows you why he is considered one of the best two-way players in the game.

Enjoy.

GO SABRES!!!

I hope you both are as sure that he will sign a contract extension as you are of his play. Post that and I will sleep better.

I hope you both are as sure that he will sign a contract extension as you are of his play. Post that and I will sleep better.

I predicted last night he will sign next week. This deal wouldn't have been done without those assurances. ROR will be the highest paid player on the team and at an amount close to what he's been asking for.

Sleep well, my good man.

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.