Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

2 of 3 of those picks were terrible.  Senyshyn wasn't graded in the 1st round and they could have easily taken him in the 2nd.  I hope that draft blows up in their faces like I think it will.  Boston sports teams. 

2 of 3 of those picks were terrible.  Senyshyn wasn't graded in the 1st round and they could have easily taken him in the 2nd.  I hope that draft blows up in their faces like I think it will.  ###### Boston sports teams. 

I have no idea about any of these guys, but I funkin' LOVE IT!

Did he fail? I recall him coming in a bit overweight, but not failing conditioning tests.

The team never publicly said he failed any tests, but there was alot of criticism about his conditioning.

I'm trying to recall if Kassian's conditioning was questioned as well.

Looking at the report again, I can appreciate the extent to which those tests are just eye-openers for those kids. That is what they are, of course. Kids.

That said, I hope none of them ever plays a game in the NHL. Or, better yet, that they fall into disavour in Boston's system, get traded for a poor return, and then go on to have solid NHL careers.

2 of 3 of those picks were terrible.  Senyshyn wasn't graded in the 1st round and they could have easily taken him in the 2nd.  I hope that draft blows up in their faces like I think it will.  ###### Boston sports teams. 

Couldn't have said it better. Zboril was a very Bruin pick, but the DeBrusk and Senyshyn picks were borderline lunacy.  When you have talent like Barzal and Connor available as well as other more suited talents, you don't reach on second round guys.  Also, LOL on them failing conditioning tests. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Looking at the report again, I can appreciate the extent to which those tests are just eye-openers for those kids. That is what they are, of course. Kids.

That said, I hope none of them ever plays a game in the NHL. Or, better yet, that they fall into disavour in Boston's system, get traded for a poor return, and then go on to have solid NHL careers.

I bet more of the kids fail it than those who pass.  It's going to depend on what each team does, but I remember seeing a description of BUs stuff a few years back and it looked like pure torture.  They don't really expect these kids to be able to do it from day one, but it's all about getting them to where they can do it regularly.

edit:  And that was just a college level of conditioning

Edited by shrader

"The part they failed consisted of three 300-meter runs, each of which had to be completed in one minute. The rookies had a three-minute rest in between each run."

That's pretty shocking. Running 300 meters in 1 minute is slightly above a jog for most athletes. 

"The part they failed consisted of three 300-meter runs, each of which had to be completed in one minute. The rookies had a three-minute rest in between each run."

That's pretty shocking. Running 300 meters in 1 minute is slightly above a jog for most athletes. 

Maybe I'm just getting fat, slow, and old (my BMI is actually in the normal weight range) but that actually sounds tough to me. A standard track in 400 meters so running 75% of a track 3 consecutive times with only a 3 minute rest in between seems tough, especially for guys who do much more skating than running. If I was lucky enough to finish the first one in time they'd have to scrape me off the track with a giant spatula so the other guys could start phase 2 without having to hurdle over me or run around me.

Interesting.  Hardly a "jog", though, I'd say.  Equivalent to a 5:20 mile pace.

As a marathon runner, I run 400m repeats in the 72- to 76-second range, which would equate to barely-ish making the 60-second cutoff at the 300m mark.  How much do pro hockey players actually do mid- to long-distance running as conditioning for hockey?

Maybe I'm just getting fat, slow, and old (my BMI is actually in the normal weight range) but that actually sounds tough to me. A standard track in 400 meters so running 75% of a track 3 consecutive times with only a 3 minute rest in between seems tough, especially for guys who do much more skating than running. If I was lucky enough to finish the first one in time they'd have to scrape me off the track with a giant spatula so the other guys could start phase 2 without having to hurdle over me or run around me.

Eichel could do all three consecutively and still pass dammit!

And Zemgus, too!

Edited by BagBoy

So 6-Down in tomorrow's New York Times puzzle is SABRES and the clue is "New York pro team." I get that the constructor was trying to mislead people into putting in GIANTS, it is Saturday after all, but come on.

Not much of a trick, the clue isn't New Jersey pro team.

Ya, maybe it's like doing The Centurion, it seems easy-ish at first, but that in-between time starts to go by awwwfully fast. :beer: