Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

From the ESPN via Penguin's twitter

The ownership group, which includes Mario Lemieux and billionaire Ron Burke, is seeking $750M for the franchise. The sale price could be lower if a buyer agrees to forgo development rights on the old Civic Arena site. The current record for a U.S.-based NHL franchise is the $320M paid for the Devils in 2013. (via Trib Total Media)

Ahh, real estate development rights. That's how an NHL team gets valued at $750M (albeit not bought for that price, yet).

The NFL has led the trend: Pro sports franchises are really glorified real estate development companies.

Real estate development rights? Why would that be such a high factor? As in, what do those rights include?

Um.............. Hammond's new mask.

https://instagram.com/p/6hxNp1MB3c/?taken-by=jaybartziokas

So, shouldn't the NHL get a cut of the profits?

Can't wait for Hammond to fall back to earth this season.

I honestly have no clue how selling a franchise works in any sport, other than the courting process by an owner, and that's only because we've went through it twice in the past 6 years. 

BREAKING: Slava Voynov taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. http://t.co/BmuWJDuFVr#NHL #LAKings

Note on this:  According to my immigration people*, held without bond is common.

*These are people I work with, and not people who smuggle me in and out of Iceland.  I have other people for that.

Real estate development rights? Why would that be such a high factor? As in, what do those rights include?

From the context above, it sounds like the franchise owns the rights to develop the site of the Civic Arena (the Igloo). If you look on the map, that's a significant hunk of downtown real estate, which in PIttsburgh actually has real value. :)

Ahh, real estate development rights. That's how an NHL team gets valued at $750M (albeit not bought for that price, yet).

The NFL has led the trend: Pro sports franchises are really glorified real estate development companies.

From the context above, it sounds like the franchise owns the rights to develop the site of the Civic Arena (the Igloo). If you look on the map, that's a significant hunk of downtown real estate, which in PIttsburgh actually has real value. :)

@Wildcard: Regardless of where you live, think about who the big money types are around town (excepting those who come from old money). Many of them are inevitably real estate developers. Trump is an extreme example of this, but not an unfair one.

Also, whoever said the current owners were looking to get out on top (X?), was spot on. Not only is Crosby still in his prime, but the real estate market in Pittsburgh is quite attractive as well (as are conditions in the market more generally); that could change for the worse in the coming years.