Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I'm certainly doing better than the parent who takes their baby to a hockey game. Common sense would dictate that perhaps putting the child first would be a valuable parenting skill.

I'm typing as someone who, on a handful of occasions (none of which I was particularly jazzed about), took a baby (one of mine (not the same one each time)) to a pro hockey game, a concert, a spirited college hockey game, and a legit D-1 football game. 

You know what was feckin' louder than any of those experiences? The many family weddings that I took those same babies to. Banquet halls with DJs? May as well be on an airport's tarmac.

Good to know where my parenting stands, after all these years. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Why leave the stands? First, I've heard complaints the crowd isn't loud enough, wouldn't a crying child help that? Secondly, perhaps they don't expect everyone else to adjust their behavior. But you then go on to tell them how to adjust their behavior by telling them to leave the stands.

So, by your logic. Crying baby means the parent should leave the stands. Drunk guy swearing his butt off should stay. Just want to be clear on who is in more control of their actions here and what behavior you want excused from the stands and what behavior you deem okay.

I don't know a single parent who doesn't take their baby to another area if their child is crying in a crowd of people... I'm not asking them to adjust their behavior as they do it automatically unless they know whatever their child is crying about is a quick and easy fix they can do in a confined space (seats at an arena).

Non-parents debating what parents should do is always entertaining.

I don't think anybody but those saying they shouldn't take their child to a game is arguing what parents should do. I think the other side is saying the parents can do as they please.

Non-parents debating what parents should do is always entertaining.

I just think that if you take a baby to a game, you are there for you, not the kid. If you take a child to a game, it's as much for them, if not more, than it is for you.

I'm certainly doing better than the parent who takes their baby to a hockey game. Common sense would dictate that perhaps putting the child first would be a valuable parenting skill.

There's a joke floating around on FB: I was a perfect parent until I had a baby.

Trust me, the kid comes first *a lot*. Begrudging someone a few hours of fun time with their kid because it makes you uncomfortable isn't a good look. That being said, there's no way I'm taking a one month old to a game, if nothing else the sick and unvaccinated people could cause some serious issues with the kids health. If it wasn't a huge imposition for me where I live, I'd take RosePie to a game any day (she's 18 months). Rose likes when I put hockey on TV, I have no doubt she'd enjoy a live game. She enjoyed watching people at the EA outdoor rink around xmas.

Come to think of it, I took her to a motorcycle race in the fall. Am I a bad parent? (not the same race, but the same guys)

I just think that if you take a baby to a game, you are there for you, not the kid. If you take a child to a game, it's as much for them, if not more, than it is for you.

There's a place for that. Even when you're a parent.

I don't know a single parent who doesn't take their baby to another area if their child is crying in a crowd of people... I'm not asking them to adjust their behavior as they do it automatically unless they know whatever their child is crying about is a quick and easy fix they can do in a confined space (seats at an arena).

As he so often is, here's CK with knowledge (and humour). 2:00 mark for the relevant bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acWdh0a_92A

Trust me, the kid comes first *a lot*. 

Lord, yes.

There's a joke floating around on FB: I was a perfect parent until I had a baby.

Trust me, the kid comes first *a lot*. Begrudging someone a few hours of fun time with their kid because it makes you uncomfortable isn't a good look. That being said, there's no way I'm taking a one month old to a game, if nothing else the sick and unvaccinated people could cause some serious issues with the kids health. If it wasn't a huge imposition for me where I live, I'd take RosePie to a game any day (she's 18 months). Rose likes when I put hockey on TV, I have no doubt she'd enjoy a live game. She enjoyed watching people at the EA outdoor rink around xmas.

Come to think of it, I took her to a motorcycle race in the fall. Am I a bad parent? (not the same race, but the same guys)

I mean, that's up to you if you want to take the risk right? Would I want to be holding a 9 month old in my arms at the start of an enduro race? Probably not. I don't think my father took my brother and I anywhere near things like the snowmobile races in Marilla or Lancaster Speedway until we were old enough to wear some ear protection as well as get something out of it. I mean, what kid is really even getting anything out of something like an NHL game or Monster Jam until they're at least able to hold their own head up? 

I guess I just see a lot of parents who treat their kids as some kind of extra baggage they have to take with them to things they like to do. 

I'm typing as someone who, on a handful of occasions (none of which I was particularly jazzed about), took a baby (one of mine (not the same one each time)) to a pro hockey game, a concert, a spirited college hockey game, and a legit D-1 football game. 

You know what was feckin' louder than any of those experiences? The many family weddings that I took those same babies to. Banquet halls with DJs? May as well be on an airport's tarmac.

Good to know where my parenting stands, after all these years. 

I guess I don't get why you'd do that. Is "Sorry, I am in possession of a fragile delicate meat sack" not a sufficient excuse to avoid those circumstances? 

Doesn't the kid almost always come first? I received plenty of advice that the kid should stay at home (games, Disney, whatever) because they will not remember the event. What about parents' memories? It is really flipping cool to have a little one hand a baseball to a player and get an autograph. My four year old can also be a handful and I wasn't sure how he would act at a Sabres game. From 1 hour before faceoff until foligno scored the empty netter his attention didn't leave the ice. He knew immediately when Eichel scored, he didn't want anything from concessions, in fact all he wanted was to watch the sabres. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes the kid cries because the music during a break is too loud. 

I'm sorry, as a father of four great kids, 2 college educated adults already working their dream jobs, a 16 year old daughter who after one job fair has three employers fighting over her and a 12 year old who may be the brightest and most level headed of them all, I confess, I took them places they probably didn't want to go, maybe even places they should not have been. Why? Because my wife and I's life didn't end when we had kids. We got sitters when we could, sometimes didn't feel like it, or changed our mind when the sitter showed up with a boyfriend and a six pack of beer(true story), sometimes just because it was a spur of the moment adventure. I'd like to think the kids benefited from seeing their parents have a good time and enjoy adult company but if they were forced to endure some sort of hell for a few hours, sorry, but I think it was worth the alternative.

I guess I don't get why you'd do that. Is "Sorry, I am in possession of a fragile delicate meat sack" not a sufficient excuse to avoid those circumstances? 

Do what?

Attend a hockey game I'd been planning on for months (and one for which I bought the tickets) with a pretty compliant 4-month old who had an ear infection and was unexpectedly too sick to be left with a young-ish sitter? She's 16 now, and can hear well enough when she's on the other side of the house and I am quietly discussing a proposed punishment (for the kid) with her mother.

Or were you referring to the situation where I returned to my alma mater for a rare visit (11 hour drive, btw) and planned to attend a night game with my best girl, and was able to leave the older kids with a sitter at the hotel, but, dammit, couldn't rationalize leaving a 5-month old there? Once again, that kid seems to be doing Just. Fine. More than fine, God bless her.

Or maybe you were saying babies should not be at wedding receptions?

And I certainly wasn't looking for an excuse to avoid the situation. I was working in good faith to be there because I really, really wanted to be there (yes - for me, most definitely not for the kid), and hoped that I would be able to bring the baby along without it being or creating a problem. It mostly worked out. I did leave that college hockey game early - baby just got too grouchy.

I'm sorry, as a father of four great kids, 2 college educated adults already working their dream jobs, a 16 year old daughter who after one job fair has three employers fighting over her and a 12 year old who may be the brightest and most level headed of them all, I confess, I took them places they probably didn't want to go, maybe even places they should not have been. Why? Because my wife and I's life didn't end when we had kids. We got sitters when we could, sometimes didn't feel like it, or changed our mind when the sitter showed up with a boyfriend and a six pack of beer(true story), sometimes just because it was a spur of the moment adventure. I'd like to think the kids benefited from seeing their parents have a good time and enjoy adult company but if they were forced to endure some sort of hell for a few hours, sorry, but I think it was worth the alternative.

PREACH!

d4rk, we have evolved over tens of thousands of years.  During those eons, babies have survived living in caves, unsanitary water, poor nutrition, and trips to the grocery store.  They are tougher than you think.

THE BABIES WILL BE FINE.

Do what?

Attend a hockey game I'd been planning on for months (and one for which I bought the tickets) with a pretty compliant 4-month old who had an ear infection and was unexpectedly too sick to be left with a young-ish sitter? She's 16 now, and can hear well enough when she's on the other side of the house and I am quietly discussing a proposed punishment (for the kid) with her mother.

Or were you referring to the situation where I returned to my alma mater for a rare visit (11 hour drive, btw) and planned to attend a night game with my best girl, and was able to leave the older kids with a sitter at the hotel, but, dammit, couldn't rationalize leaving a 5-month old there? Once again, that kid seems to be doing Just. Fine. More than fine, God bless her.

Or maybe you were saying babies should not be at wedding receptions?

And I certainly wasn't looking for an excuse to avoid the situation. I was working in good faith to be there because I really, really wanted to be there (yes - for me, most definitely not for the kid), and hoped that I would be able to bring the baby along without it being or creating a problem. It mostly worked out. I did leave that college hockey game early - baby just got too grouchy.

PREACH!

You seem to be arguing that because something bad didn't happen it nullifies the risks you took. Maybe you took the necessary precautions to make sure your kid wasn't going to get a beer dumped on them, or suffer irreversible hearing damage. Maybe your situational awareness is rock solid.

But this conversation started because some careless schlub took their baby into a hockey practice and wasn't diligent enough to protect it.

You seem to be arguing that because something bad didn't happen it nullifies the risks you took. Maybe you took the necessary precautions to make sure your kid wasn't going to get a beer dumped on them, or suffer irreversible hearing damage. Maybe your situational awareness is rock solid.

But this conversation started because some careless schlub took their baby into a hockey practice and wasn't diligent enough to protect it.

Now there's the problem.

d4rk, we have evolved over tens of thousands of years. During those eons, babies have survived living in caves, unsanitary water, poor nutrition, and trips to the grocery store. They are tougher than you think.

THE BABIES WILL BE FINE.

Sure. Just don't ask me to feel bad for them I guess.

Now there's the problem.

We don't really know that either. She could have been doing everything right and puck could have deflected off someone else. Article really doesn't cover it. Sometimes accidents just happen, no matter where they are. There were at least two occasions were I left my son home with my parents only to end up in an emergency room after he hurt himself.

THE BABIES WILL BE FINE.

Ha. Nice.

Easy there, kimosabe.

You're officially out of your depth.

We don't really know that either. She could have been doing everything right and puck could have deflected off someone else. Article really doesn't cover it. Sometimes accidents just happen, no matter where they are. There were at least two occasions were I left my son home with my parents only to end up in an emergency room after he hurt himself.

I mean, FFS. A-fricking-men. 

But maybe the babies should be placed in protective bubbles. Bubble-wrapped, possibly? That would (might?) address the opprobrious risks discussed upthread.