Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I'm walking like FDR over here. 

Walking like FDR?

I still think the parent is an idiot and I resent being told I can't hold that opinion.

I said a lot of things on this topic. But I don't think I ever said you can't hold that opinion.

People can hold whatever opinions they want. Whether those opinions are valid, reasonable, valuable, informed, etc. may remain an open question. 

For example: There's a parent at my kid's school who - honest to God - is of the opinion that pizza is awful. He's entitled to his opinion, of course.

Walking like FDR?

I said a lot of things on this topic. But I don't think I ever said you can't hold that opinion.

People can hold whatever opinions they want. Whether those opinions are valid, reasonable, valuable, informed, etc. may remain an open question. 

For example: There's a parent at my kid's school who - honest to God - is of the opinion that pizza is awful. He's entitled to his opinion, of course.

You know...

And I think I've attempted to show my rationale. No one has to agree with me. I don't expect that. 

d4rksabre, on 24 Feb 2016 - 1:31 PM, said:

I still think the parent is an idiot and I resent being told I can't hold that opinion.

You're welcome to your opinion of the parent, but all I have read is people trying to tell you that your opinion is short-sighted.   No one has tried to tell you you can't hold that opinion, and, to add, if someone on the internet did try and tell you can't have that opinion, what does that matter? 

Do you think the people opining on your opinion are trying to bitch-slap you because they think you're an annoying troll?  Or do you think they perceive you and Josie as our internet brother and sister, couple-in-waiting, and are just trying to help you out, educate you a little?  I'm telling you straight up that your opinion on the matter is flawed, because it lacks the experience necessary to really appreciate the situation. That's not a put-down, I'm saying that because I'm trying to pass along what I have learned in life.  Before I was married and had kids, I would have had the exact same response as you, and now I see how, frankly, immature that response is. 

I think in this instance, really, the older, experienced crowd is trying to "straighten you out" in a respectful manner, and you handled it poorly IMHO.  But, even the latter is understandable, because you simply have no idea...yet. 

When you have kids, especially that young, every waking moment is devoted to that child/those kids.  Everything, every thought, every action.  If there's something as innocuous as an open practice where you know you can take the kids, sit there and watch for a half-hour, and split when you want, you might take that opportunity thinking "what can go wrong?" 

With the "what can go wrong" approach, you have to be realistic.  Something can go wrong at any time.  What can go wrong walking your kids around the loop at Delaware Park?  What can go wrong crossing Main Street at a red light in the University District during a weekday afternoon?  How about taking a plane trip to Florida to visit your relatives? One can't live life afraid of the variables, what does that teach the kids?  The very notion that these people shouldn't have been at the open practice plays into the helicopter parent mentality.

Like the rest, I'm sharing my philosophy here, not trying to put you down.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

You're welcome to your opinion of the parent, but all I have read is people trying to tell you that your opinion is short-sighted.   No one has tried to tell you you can't hold that opinion, and, to add, if someone on the internet did try and tell you can't have that opinion, what does that matter? 

Do you think the people opining on your opinion are trying to bitch-slap you because they think you're an annoying troll?  Or do you think they perceive you and Josie as our internet brother and sister, couple-in-waiting, and are just trying to help you out, educate you a little?  I'm telling you straight up that your opinion on the matter is flawed, because it lacks the experience necessary to really appreciate the situation. That's not a put-down, I'm saying that because I'm trying to pass along what I have learned in life.  Before I was married and had kids, I would have had the exact same response as you, and now I see how, frankly, immature that response is. 

I think in this instance, really, the older, experienced crowd is trying to "straighten you out" in a respectful manner, and you handled it poorly IMHO.  But, even the latter is understandable, because you simply have no idea...yet. 

When you have kids, especially that young, every waking moment is devoted to that child/those kids.  Everything, every thought, every action.  If there's something as innocuous as an open practice where you know you can take the kids, sit there and watch for a half-hour, and split when you want, you might take that opportunity thinking "what can go wrong?" 

With the "what can go wrong" approach, you have to be realistic.  Something can go wrong at any time.  What can go wrong walking your kids around the loop at Delaware Park?  What can go wrong crossing Main Street at a red light in the University District during a weekday afternoon?  How about taking a plane trip to Florida to visit your relatives? One can't live life afraid of the variables, what does that teach the kids?  The very notion that these people shouldn't have been at the open practice plays into the helicopter parent mentality.

Like the rest, I'm sharing my philosophy here, not trying to put you down.

I stated in an earlier post that my opinion is likely due to my not being a parent. I don't think I've tried to walk that back at all. 

That they were popular at all seems to be the criticism.  So-called "True punks" apparently decided that they needed to hate Green Day for being too successful in order to prove that they had punk cred. Which is so laughable to me because trying to attain punk cred is decidedly un-punk. 

A--men

They got absurdly popular and weren't anywhere near talented or interesting enough to survive overexposure. Does anybody want to listen to Time of Your Life, Wake Me Up When September Ends, or Boulevard of Broken Dreams ever again?

Ughh his voice is so annoying.

You literally picked the most overplayed songs they made  :lol:

Try Dookie or Warning sometime, they've got some great stuff

NBCSN has decided not to carry the Sabres-Oilers Game Tuesday Night, instead RJ returns for the call on MSG.

Good: RJ is back,

Bad: Why would the NHL dump the only national US Television Appearance by McDavid this year?

Selfishly I'm pleased because now I can watch it. 

As to why NBC would drop the game, well, they picked up Washington / Pittsburgh.  Because of course they did. 

NBCSN has decided not to carry the Sabres-Oilers Game Tuesday Night, instead RJ returns for the call on MSG.

Good: RJ is back,

Bad: Why would the NHL dump the only national US Television Appearance by McDavid this year?

Because NBC knows that the diehards who want to see McDavid will find a way (either when he plays their local team or on some sort of package) and the rest of the country doesn't know where Edmonton is.