Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

14 points and 6 goals through 9 games for Leon Draisaitl.  I was pretty much the only one on this board who wanted the Sabres to draft him over Samson.  I like Leon's size and strength.  (am watching Oilers - Hawks right now)

Draisaitl has been impressive.  Just keep in mind he currently has played more than twice as many NHL minutes as Reinhart. 639.9 versus 278.4, so Draisaitl being more developed at this current stage isn't as much of a surprise.

Edited by LGR4GM

Mikhail Grigorenko with three points (one goal, two assists) tonight for Colorado. Up to a goal and five assists on the season.

Still rooting for the kid, he is  a +5 on one of the worst teams this season.   He was always solid defensively, if he starts getting some offense he'll make a good 2C.

NHL creating bye week starting next season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/40094/rumblings-nhl-giving-teams-bye-week-in-next-seasons-schedule

Teams will get a full week off once per year.

To clarify it: it's a five-day bye week. Teams will have it between January 1st and February 28th. No practicing in that time.

Edited by Hoss

NHL creating bye week starting next season:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/40094/rumblings-nhl-giving-teams-bye-week-in-next-seasons-schedule

Teams will get a full week off once per year.

To clarify it: it's a five-day bye week. Teams will have it between January 1st and February 28th. No practicing in that time.

I feel like the Sabres already get at least 3 of those per season currently

Pretty cool.  I'm impressed that they got the jets "right" on this one:  The jet in the Winnipeg Jets logo is in fact an F-18 which is used to portray Winnipeg in the poster.  They used the F-35 for the Columbus jets on the attack; they are just now entering initial operational capability.

15_1031_WPG_FINAL_920.jpg

What gives me hope is that except the florida teams we haven't played in our division much.

If we can still manage some points the next couple of games, We might see a surge when we play more in our so called "weak division"

Good point. Taking a look at our schedule, it gets way easier as we go along. The last two months aren't exactly difficult 

I have discovered that the Blue Jackets do beautifully illustrated game day posters. It's so cool. Can the Sabres do this? I love it. I may just start doing some myself for fun. :)

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=108269

Nice find.  Apparently it's a big thing!  Good article with quotes and a link to the artist's work: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-game-day-posters-are-hockeys-best-new-thing/

Those are cool has hell.

There are a number of bands that do those for their shows as well -- posters particular, peculiar to the place they're playing.

I actually have the final project in the class I teach based off this. It's to make a gig poster, with band name, venue and date (the due date of the project). It's their chance to just go nuts and have fun. 

Concert posters were a huuuuge part of why I went into illustration. 

Sounds like the artist for these posters got the gig through people he knew. Honestly, that is, as far as I can tell, the only way to do it. 

I guess I better make a few for the mostly shot in the dark hope that I'll get a chance like that. Dream job right there. 

I actually have the final project in the class I teach based off this. It's to make a gig poster, with band name, venue and date (the due date of the project). It's their chance to just go nuts and have fun. 

Concert posters were a huuuuge part of why I went into illustration. 

Sounds like the artist for these posters got the gig through people he knew. Honestly, that is, as far as I can tell, the only way to do it. 

I guess I better make a few for the mostly shot in the dark hope that I'll get a chance like that. Dream job ###### right there. 

The Black Keys have some wicked concert posters done by their fans and submitted to the band.