Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Saw a Tweet about how Bettman is quashing rumours that Carolina could be on the move once the principal owner sells his stake.

A Twitter account dedicated to the memory of the Hartford Whalers linked the newspaper report, fwiw.

Here it be, I hope:

https://t.co/xpTamuTj6H

It's very interesting timing that they put Karmanos in the hall of fame right as he's trying to sell.  I remember seeing those stories start to leak out almost immediately after it was announced that he was getting in.

It's very interesting timing that they put Karmanos in the hall of fame right as he's trying to sell.  I remember seeing those stories start to leak out almost immediately after it was announced that he was getting in.

I kind of thought he was an odd choice of HoF, but what do I know?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=787521&navid=nhl:topheads

Interesting read on goalie skates...

This could have gone in the scoring thread or the science thread but there's no scientific evidence that these changes will lead to less scoring. :)

Weird. The cowling always struck me as a protective addition. I don't know why you'd want to eliminate that.

Maybe it doesn't matter anymore?

Weird. The cowling always struck me as a protective addition. I don't know why you'd want to eliminate that.Maybe it doesn't matter anymore?

Probably using a kevlar-like material that will transfer the force of the puck laterally much better than the old plastic cowl did.

That, & how often does a butterflyer have the side of his foot facing the shot? A reactionary kick save always had it exposed. Butterfly save, not so much. Scrambling around due to being in 'oh #### mode' yeah, but that is relatively infrequent for MOST NHL goalies.

Probably using a kevlar-like material that will transfer the force of the puck laterally much better than the old plastic cowl did.

That, & how often does a butterflyer have the side of his foot facing the shot? A reactionary kick save always had it exposed. Butterfly save, not so much. Scrambling around due to being in 'oh #### mode' yeah, but that is relatively infrequent for MOST NHL goalies.

Right. It's probably not much of an issue if the boot material is tough enough.

The skate save is a lost art.

Weird. The cowling always struck me as a protective addition. I don't know why you'd want to eliminate that.

Maybe it doesn't matter anymore?

I assume the CF boot is enough.  Not that I am at all surprised but the discussion from the goaltenders was interesting.  Knowing exactly how much more push they have, the gap under the pad, etc.

Not sure if its been covered but Ray Ferraro used Miller as an example when he said there's no reason miller at 170 should be wearing the same size pants as Price who's 215 and Miller took exception. It didn't sound like Ray was calling out Miller just using it as an example. Interesting take. Miller said he has a right to protect himself but you can measure my gear any time sort of thing.

Not sure if its been covered but Ray Ferraro used Miller as an example when he said there's no reason miller at 170 should be wearing the same size pants as Price who's 215 and Miller took exception. It didn't sound like Ray was calling out Miller just using it as an example. Interesting take. Miller said he has a right to protect himself but you can measure my gear any time sort of thing.

Do bigger pants = protection? 

NHL

NHL Player Safety @NHLPlayerSafety 2m2 minutes ago

Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog has been suspended 2 games for an illegal check to the head of Boston's Brad Marchand. http://ow.ly/2bwgYL

NHL Player Safety @NHLPlayerSafety 2m2 minutes ago

Boston's Brad Marchand has been fined $5,000 for roughing Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog.

###### NHL

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 2m2 minutes ago

Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog has been suspended 2 games for an illegal check to the head of Boston's Brad Marchand. http://ow.ly/2bwgYL

NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 2m2 minutes ago

Boston's Brad Marchand has been fined $5,000 for roughing Colorado's Gabriel Landeskog.

Here's the play: