Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Right. It's a skilled motion that gives the illusion of not interfering when in fact it is.

I believe they studied the NFL for exactly how to execute this.

But there is still a good amount of hooking, grabbing, that goes uncalled.  Look back at Girgensons being everything short of tackled the other night and no penalty called. 

I believe they studied the NFL for exactly how to execute this.

But there is still a good amount of hooking, grabbing, that goes uncalled.  Look back at Girgensons being everything short of tackled the other night and no penalty called. 

Agreed. We can find this contact in every game. I'm just trying to dispel the idea that we've regressed to the dead puck era. I don't think the way the game is being restricted now is really the same as it was then. 

If only we had a thread for this...

Statements from the Blackhawks and Kane (Hawks first, Kane second):

“We respect the announcement today by the Erie County (N.Y.) District Attorney regarding Patrick Kane. The Chicago Blackhawks organization has taken this matter very seriously, and has tried to navigate a very sensitive situation while continually respecting the legal proceedings. At this time we will have no further comment.”

“I have repeatedly said that I did nothing wrong. I have respected the legal process and I am glad that this matter has now been closed and I will have nothing further to say going forward.”

Bill Daly's statement says the league will now review the information of the case:

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/662321525731827713

Edited by Hoss

I think this sort of stuff is boilerplate, and therefore of marginal interest. I also think it does just fine here in this thread.

On balance, I felt like the recriminations that had been made and were coming in the Kane thread were reason enough to lock it down.

I think this sort of stuff is boilerplate, and therefore of marginal interest. I also think it does just fine here in this thread.

On balance, I felt like the recriminations that had been made and were coming in the Kane thread were reason enough to lock it down.

+68

Statements from the Blackhawks and Kane (Hawks first, Kane second):

“We respect the announcement today by the Erie County (N.Y.) District Attorney regarding Patrick Kane. The Chicago Blackhawks organization has taken this matter very seriously, and has tried to navigate a very sensitive situation while continually respecting the legal proceedings. At this time we will have no further comment.”

“I have repeatedly said that I did nothing wrong. I have respected the legal process and I am glad that this matter has now been closed and I will have nothing further to say going forward.”

Bill Daly's statement says the league will now review the information of the case:

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/662321525731827713

Kane definitely doesn't sound like a guy about to file a defamation suit.

Kane definitely doesn't sound like a guy about to file a defamation suit.

With his track record, what is he going to claim? While he may have been completely innocent of the rape charges, his character is so flawed that he would have a hard time proving anyone thinks less of him then they did before. In fact, he may have more people feeling sorry for him then ever.

Don't know if he lost any endorsement deals but he may have a case against them depending how the contracts were written.

Agreed. We can find this contact in every game. I'm just trying to dispel the idea that we've regressed to the dead puck era. I don't think the way the game is being restricted now is really the same as it was then. 

There is still a lot to be said for the evolution of protective equipment and the willingness of players to stand in front of shots more.  Goalies are bigger, there's no denying that.  I agree it's not as bad as it was back then but there are times when it still comes up.  

That said, it's not always the obstruction that is the problem.  Not calling cross-checks also dismisses an opportunity for a power play that could raise scoring.

With his track record, what is he going to claim? While he may have been completely innocent of the rape charges, his character is so flawed that he would have a hard time proving anyone thinks less of him then they did before. In fact, he may have more people feeling sorry for him then ever.

Don't know if he lost any endorsement deals but he may have a case against them depending how the contracts were written.

Why on earth would he file a defamation suit?

His entire sexual history might have to be disclosed to the defense.

giving a possible witness list for a counter suit. 

To be clear, I don't think it would be an advisable course to take. But there was more than a little insinuation in the Kane thread that it would be.

They pulled his likeness of the NHL 16 packaging, didn't they?  There was probably some coin involved with that.

Conceivably he could have been pulled off the packaging without them pulling the financial portion of the contract. Impossible to know from the outside though.

To be clear, I don't think it would be an advisable course to take. But there was more than a little insinuation in the Kane thread that it would be.

Thinking isn't necessary when trying to put yourself in the shoes of a famous professional athlete.  Lord knows many of them aren't thinking either.

Sedita also said he wouldn't pursue a filing a false report case against the accuser because he doesn't want to discourage other possible victims.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1076817/actions-will-speak-louder-words-patrick-kane-blackhawks

Report says the team will reassess Kane's standing with the team after this season.

Edited by Hoss

Sedita also said he wouldn't pursue a filing a false report case against the accuser because he doesn't want to discourage other possible victims.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1076817/actions-will-speak-louder-words-patrick-kane-blackhawks

Report says the team will reassess Kane's standing with the team after this season.

Wouldn't blame the Hawks at all if they are ready to cut bait.

*Mentally prepares for an influx of Kane to Buffalo speculation and threads*

I was thinking the same thing. I think Chicago is ready to move on and its going to get crazy until they move him. Considering my dislike for him personally I will refrain from giving my opinion on the possibility.

Wouldn't blame the Hawks at all if they are ready to cut bait.

I wouldn't either. Especially if they struggle with lack of depth this year. I could see them spreading his contract into a few players with a couple picks on top of it.

I was thinking the same thing. I think Chicago is ready to move on and its going to get crazy until they move him. Considering my dislike for him personally I will refrain from giving my opinion on the possibility.

I could just copy+paste my thoughts from the Stamkos discussion. The asset value plus economics likely make it unattractive. That said, I'll be shocked if they move on, even if they want to (and I'm unconvinced they do).

I'd be surprised if they do move him. But regardless, I'd expect he'd be a disaster here in Buffalo. He seems to behave like he's still a teen when he's home & he just can't do that anymore. Just too many opportunities for him to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time w/ the wrong people back home. My 2 cents.