Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

If McGinn and Johnson haven't extended by the deadline you trade them. I would hope that McGinn comes back, and I think Murray is likely going to have that conversation with him.

As far as getting draft picks: do it. We need them. Either as currency for other deals or to restock the pipeline.

So on SHH this morning, they were talking about the possibilities of trading Johnson and/or McGinn for draft picks at the deadline.

I don't think I want that to happen.

Whatever is going on with Chad Johnson, I want it to continue.  Here.  Yeah, I get that he's been a career backup.  So was Tim Thomas.

McGinn is a guy I'd like to see around next year.  I think he's the Concept of Foligno, but actually there and not just a concept.

And I'm done with watching the team stockpile picks.  So unless Murray is going to turn those picks into actual players before the draft, I say no.

Yeah I want to see what happens with CJ as well and resign McGinn.   But they may not want to stay here either :p

Our best bet in dumping Moulson is retaining salary and finding a team looking to dump a contract that's a year or two shorter than Moulson's.

Or just buying him out after this year.

Don't want him on the books for 6 more years. Keep the albatros 2 more and then buy him out. He only cuts into cap they'll need in those 2 dead money seasons rather than for 2 extra on top of that. While Reinhart & Eichel are on ELC's, cap space isn't critical.

Our best bet in dumping Moulson is retaining salary and finding a team looking to dump a contract that's a year or two shorter than Moulson's.

Or just buying him out after this year.

This is a problem contract only to be resolved with someone else's problem in my eyes. Enter Phanuef.

Hey lookie here, Weber made the list of top 20 available D men.

http://thehockeywriters.com/15-defensemen-being-targeted-at-trade-deadline/

I think that may be his plan.

Yup. His track record to this point gives no reason to think otherwise.

But even if the trades don't materialize, I'm not going to cry about stocking up the pipeline a bit. 5 years from now when we're not flush with cap space it would be great to have a Nyquist or Tatar type contribute 20 goals on an ELC.

So on SHH this morning, they were talking about the possibilities of trading Johnson and/or McGinn for draft picks at the deadline.

I don't think I want that to happen.

Whatever is going on with Chad Johnson, I want it to continue.  Here.  Yeah, I get that he's been a career backup.  So was Tim Thomas.

McGinn is a guy I'd like to see around next year.  I think he's the Concept of Foligno, but actually there and not just a concept.

And I'm done with watching the team stockpile picks.  So unless Murray is going to turn those picks into actual players before the draft, I say no.

Enroth, Neuvirth and Lindback all played well at times for the Sabres last year and we had no problems giving them away, so i don't think they will have any issue giving Johnson away this year. What makes it difficult for Johnson is that we've invested a ton into Robin Lehner and they are uber high on Linus Ullmark.

I do agree with you on McGinn though.

Johnson will be 30 this summer. Signing him for more than a year just doesn't make sense. I'd rather take the chance on Ullmark panning out our Lehner. SigNing a 30 yr goalie just doesn't make sense. Trade him at the deadline, bring up Makarov to pay backup and see if Lehner is good.

Johnson will be 30 this summer. Signing him for more than a year just doesn't make sense. I'd rather take the chance on Ullmark panning out our Lehner. SigNing a 30 yr goalie just doesn't make sense. Trade him at the deadline, bring up Makarov to pay backup and see if Lehner is good.

Completely agreed. Though hopefully Ullmark understands why we'd bring up Makarov instead and doesn't get upset with it

I disagree with you. Drouin is going to be fine once he gets away from Coop the Poop.

NS knows.

I can't wait for Drouin to just bomb :nana: Edited by WildCard

I disagree with you.  Drouin is going to be fine once he gets away from Coop the Poop.

NS knows.

He is going to have to be a lot better in his own end, that's not just a cooper thing.   It would also help him quite a bit to push the attack little more and not dart side to side.  Teams play defnse in the NHL and that means backchecking and they catch up to him too much.  

He's good enough to learn to adapt if he wants, but it's def not all Cooper's fault he's flailing.

I disagree, many goalies play just fine until they're 36 or 37 years old. You don't even see much of a save % dip on a talented goalie until their mid/late 30's so if Johnson seems like he could be the future then I have no problem with him being signed as a 30 year old. I guess, for me at least, it would be more of question of would rather Lehner or Johnson to be starting while Ullmark is transitioning into a true NHL starter. I totally agree with bringing Makarov up over Ullmark though, much rather let Ullmark get the regular starts over playing the top competition every 6 or 7 games.

Trade rumors: http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-oilers-staal-sellers/

- Teams may be hesitant on Drouin after his poor AHL production (my sensationalist journalism has been noticed  :lol:)

- 3 teams are guaranteed to be sellers: Buffalo, Toronto, and CBJ

- RNH is available, the Oiler's believe McDavid and Drasaitl can be their 1-2 center punch

- Caps all in on winning a Cup this year (surprise) 

- Pens will have major changes if they miss the playoffs

- TB rumored to offer Stamkos a contract around the ~$8m mark

Edited by WildCard

Just a fact check on Straw since he's a hack:

The article he linked to says absolutely nothing about Drouin's trade talks going cold. In fact, it says he's a hot commodity still.

Edit: Well, this was more on Wildcard for exaggerating what straw said. Straw said teams may be slowing their pursuit. Article only says his poor play in the AHL may give teams hesitation but doesn't say it is. Get it together, WC.:p

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.