Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I have Luongo, Thomas, Lundqvist, Brodeur, and Osgood.  I am excluding Miller because his SV% has dropped compared to the league average. Don't think I missed anyone but feel free to add some names.  All the guys were well established starters prior to being 30 with the exception of Thomas.  I stand by my point.  Johnson is not the GT to invest in. If he was 2-4 years younger than sure take a shot but looking at goalies around the league most start to decline once they hit 29-31 years of age.  Out of the goalies we listed already, I would guess that 2 of them are future HoF netminders. So 5 goalies in 10 years who played into their mid 30's successfully.  Those odds are terrible.

Edited by LGR4GM

Couple of things to add, Johnson hasn't played as many games as those guys, he's not as worn out. Also, he can probably be signed for a decent amount of money so if it doesn't work out......

The guy is hovering close to .940 over the last two and a half months. Not sure what the guy has to do to earn a starting spot. 

Chad Johnson has played 254 professional games starting in 2009 to present. If he was younger, sure I would give him a deal but he is hovering on the edge of a drop-off and I wouldn't be willing to bet against that decline.

LeBrun thinks #Preds would be willing to dangle one or two players coming up through pipeline "to get better now." Win-now mode.

Ennis or McGinn for ???

Fiala maybe? Mc Ginn alone does not get that done, though.

I'd take Fiala and Kirkland off their hands.

LeBrun thinks #Preds would be willing to dangle one or two players coming up through pipeline "to get better now." Win-now mode.

Ennis or McGinn for ???

Fiala maybe? Mc Ginn alone does not get that done, though.

McGinn and a 2nd/3rd should. For as dynamo as Fiala can be, he's still 5'11, and struggling in the AHL. Although he is only 19, but he's putting up Baptiste/Bailey numbers in the AHL. I'd much rather go after Novak

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248374

A highly skilled playmaking center with first-rate "hockey sense" and puckhandling ability. Creates energy through being an offensively dominant presence. Plays an up-tempo game that can catch a lot of defencemen off guard; excellent skater. Will need to gain size and strength; otherwise, with his skillset, there is nothing barring him from becoming a prolific scorer at the next level. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248374#sthash.rudVbbVH.dpuf

What's the credibility of @HardcoreNHLFans? My buddy sent me a FB post from them but they don't have much of a presence on Twitter. *Rumored* Big talks with Anaheim for Gibson and Fowler with Ennis, Gorges, Johnson and 2 #2s going back.

Lots of teams scouting the Sabres this year

McGinn and a 2nd/3rd should. For as dynamo as Fiala can be, he's still 5'11, and struggling in the AHL. Although he is only 19, but he's putting up Baptiste/Bailey numbers in the AHL. I'd much rather go after Novak

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248374

Fiala is not putting up Bailey or Baptiste AHL numbers as a 19yr old. He has more points although I wish he had more goals. 

Fiala 0.618ppg

Bailey 0.325ppg

Baptiste 0.441ppg

What's the credibility of @HardcoreNHLFans? My buddy sent me a FB post from them but they don't have much of a presence on Twitter. *Rumored* Big talks with Anaheim for Gibson and Fowler with Ennis, Gorges, Johnson and 2 #2s going back.

I'm going to go with in the ballpark of HockeyyInsiderr.

The reason I'm hesitant to buy that is Gibson. What use do we have of him other than to flip him? That said, Fowler will be expensive, and that about looks right

Fiala is not putting up Bailey or Baptiste AHL numbers as a 19yr old. He has more points although I wish he had more goals. 

Fiala 0.618ppg

Bailey 0.325ppg

Baptiste 0.441ppg

He has 8 more assists, yes. This is also his 2nd year in the AHL

Anyone suggesting Buffalo is going to trade for a #1 GT with Lehner yet to get a shot and Ullmark waiting in the wings is just talking.  That would be a waste of picks and assets unless Murray is ready to give up on Lehner after 2 games. Seems highly unlikely clickbait

The reason I'm hesitant to buy that is Gibson. What use do we have of him other than to flip him? That said, Fowler will be expensive, and that about looks right

That's 8 more assists then Novak has in a professional league.  Novak is a playmaker who projects out to a #2 center or possibly winger if he hits his ceiling.  You have ROR, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart all ahead of him on the center depth chart.  So that moves him to wing were he would be behind Kane and battling for that 2nd line LW spot with Zemgus, Ennis and possibly McGinn. Moulson could also come back to form.  I like the idea of Novak being a small part of the deal but Fiala has more upside currently. I still rather trade for Kirkland over Novak.

That's 8 more assists then Novak has in a professional league.  Novak is a playmaker who projects out to a #2 center or possibly winger if he hits his ceiling.  You have ROR, Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart all ahead of him on the center depth chart.  So that moves him to wing were he would be behind Kane and battling for that 2nd line LW spot with Zemgus, Ennis and possibly McGinn. Moulson could also come back to form.  I like the idea of Novak being a small part of the deal but Fiala has more upside currently. I still rather trade for Kirkland over Novak.

What?

Novak is a playmaker, true. Good points on our roster needs. I'm still not big on Fiala

What?

Novak is a playmaker, true. Good points on our roster needs. I'm still not big on Fiala

The AHL is a professional sports league. Novak plays in the NCAA and all jokes aside is not a pro league for hockey. Hence the 8 more assists in a pro league comment. Fiala is a better prospect and a better player to pursue.  Novak is a playmaker, which we really don't need. We need finishers. With our center depth, at best Novak plays as the 3rd line center where his playmaking skills are basically wasted.  If he is a winger that means his center is Eichel, which sounds great but he lacks the goal scoring to really be an assest to Jack. Novak is a fine prospect but not one I would target as the center piece to a trade with Nashville.  I think Fiala and Kirkland are better players to pursue.

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm going to go with in the ballpark of HockeyyInsiderr.

Anyone suggesting Buffalo is going to trade for a #1 GT with Lehner yet to get a shot and Ullmark waiting in the wings is just talking.  That would be a waste of picks and assets unless Murray is ready to give up on Lehner after 2 games. Seems highly unlikely clickbait

Thanks wasn't sure, hadn't heard of them before

The AHL is a professional sports league. Novak plays in the NCAA and all jokes aside is not a pro league for hockey. Fiala is a better prospect and a better player to pursue.  Novak is a playmaker, which we really don't need. We need finishers.

But we're not comparing Novak to Fiala, we were comparing Baptiste/Bailey to Fiala

Isn't Fiala also a center?

I am unsure of where he currently plays but he is listed as a LW prospect at Hockey Futures.

Yeah, in his 2nd year in the league. Of course he is

Yes, he has roughly 33 more games of AHL experience while being 1 full year younger and only have 65 games of NA game experience. Fiala would still be a better prospect. Is he leaps and bounds better, no.  He is better though.  I wouldn't give up a ton to acquire him because I'd rather spend assets on a LHD like Matheson out of Florida. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.