2015-2016 Expectations

Doohickie

I'm expecting to actually enjoy watching Sabres hockey again. That says a lot. It has been a long road since I've enjoyed this team going back pre tank actually. I'm stoked about this young team and can't wait to see the development and growth.

I'm expecting to actually enjoy watching Sabres hockey again. That says a lot. It has been a long road since I've enjoyed this team going back pre tank actually. I'm stoked about this young team and can't wait to see the development and growth.

Couldn't agree more.

Slow start with a fiery end to the season with Buffalo getting 82 points. We'll miss the playoffs but the fanbase will be re-energized and multiple players will be invited to the Worlds. I think February on they'll start actually out playing teams that are rebuilding.

I expect growing pains, lots of growing pains.  We obviously don't know what the roster will be yet, but for the first time in a while, it should at least be interesting to watch.  Like CV said, this year will be all about laying the foundation.  There's finally direction here and hopefully these kids can gel quickly.

As constructed? Around a 75 point team. Add a top-4 defenseman, O'Reilly or similar top-6 forward, and a good goaltender? Could sniff 90.

There is no more tearing down or leaving key positions unaddressed purposely. This is the year to begin building that rock solid foundation of an eventual perennial cup contender. 75-80 points tops, some exciting hockey and strong hope for the future.

Hope is more than 85 points.

Expectation is more than 70 points.

Right there with you, fellas.

whats with all the optimism... lets have some fun with negativity...  like last year

ahhh the good ole days..

eichel wont play dump and chase, takes crosby's advice and returns to bu..

ryan oreilly is traded to sabres for zads  and 2016 first rounder ending the dream of a third tank.. he slips on down the steps of his porch after a freak ice storm and is out with a broken femur, reigniting talk in colorado of a lottery pick selection as two russian twins suddenly become vituoso talents out of the blue ..

kane has a meltdown and beats little ennis within an inch of his life ( after playing well it is determined he was possessed by an entity let loose from a neutrino experiment that had a score to settle with tylers when in egypt in the early 1900s)....  gets suspended indefinitely..

samson skates hard and gets time with sabres  the third line as winger to grigs after kane debacle as sabres climb out of 30th

team starts to turn the corner as young guys gel and start scoring as the team wins three in a row in november..

pegula gets sued as government collapses and fracking becomes a politiical rallying point.. once media control is recognized  abolished, families come after terry but luckily he sold all interests to the twisted kraft family as they become first of many families lynched by the public as wage control and food additives trump the families of fracking disasters..  the patriots are sold to rogers in toronto and stay in the afc east... terry gives team to all season ticket holders in individual shares as all billionaires become scapegoats and hunted like french aristocracy..

as the fervor dies down the team seems to click as cody hodgson  finds his touch with all star zemgus just days after fans drag him from his car after not scoring for the first 39 games and duct tape him to the mckinley monument..

team is now 15 points out of 8th...

then suddenly the players and many public figures  retire for this season and people forget about hockey as travel throughout ..... it goes blank here

the rest is foggy as my animatronic eggar cayce doll is out of batteries.. you guys are probably right on with your predictions... i probably should have paid for the real edgar version instead of settling for the half thrones knock off...  we still have 120 or so more days to be right or completely insane creating written self fulfilling prophesies that may just cancel each other out..   or not..

i do love the enthusiasm after last year... but the range of prediction was tempting to roll out the dire eggar.

Expectations? That is a tough one.   I don't know what to 'expect' yet. I'd guess 70-85 pts..but that is really just a total guess.

What do I WANT is a different store.  

Unrealistically, I'd want a top 5 team in the conference and a deep playoff run. Is that possible?  Yes, but not very likely at all, probably isn't going to happen.

What is realistic that I would like to see?

-Do NOT make any big trades or FA signings this year unless it is a SCREAMING bargain.  Go with what you have, see how things develop. You can always make moves later if/when needed. Reinhart in the AHL if needed.

-Under that scenario, I'd like to see a fast skating, good scoring team that will probably make mistakes, but will be fun watching even when they lose.  Give me 70 points.

-70 points gives them one last year of probably a top 5 pick.  With a top 5 pick, you can bring in one more player with the talent of a Vanek, Hedmund, Risto....even if they take a few years to develop.

I would enjoy watching a season like that, and I would feel great about the team going forward for the next 10 years.

For high expectations I am looking more toward 2016-2017.  That's when I believe we will put it all together.  We have endured a lot of pain.  Let's not rush into mediocrity.  Some of the younger players like this years early picks will need seasoning.  Remember, the goal is to build a team capable of winning the cup.  I expect, and would not mind, if we struggle the first half of the year learning a new system, etc.  I hope we come on a bit in the second half but if we finish 25th or so and have a shot in the lottery for one more early first rounder I wouldn't mind at all.  What I want to see next year is some work forward on the foundation, not to finish last again and not go a whole month without winning again.  I don't need huge free-agent signings or trades for veterans yet that will reduce our time at the top. 

My only expectation for 2015-2016 is to stay the course on building a long-term contender and see most of the young players progress and determine what we REALLY need to fill in the gaps.  It is a little early for that.  But in 2016-2017 I want to be the surprise of the league and compete among the best teams through 2025 or so.  I do think one more year of patience is required.  I don't want to go back to sniffing the playoffs with no real chance to go much further and get stuck there several seasons.

Edited by smj

My only expectation for 2015-16 is to have more pieces of the roster in place at the end of the 2015-16 season then what they started the season with. I'm hoping they add another piece or two via trade and a couple of the young prospects grab a firm hold onto a roster spot. This season will be the first step out of the darkness, I'd like to see a huge step forward.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.