2015-2016 Expectations

Doohickie

They could improve by 25 points and still finish bottom 5 in the league.  I expect a 15-20 point improvement.

There will be injuries, who is the backup goalie, what if Lehner gets another concussion?  Or Kane's shoulder acts up?   Ennis and Girgensons have had injury problems.   

The moves they made are nice and in the right direction, but they still don't have that depth up and down their lineup to make a run at a playoff spot.

You have to keep in mind that last season's Sabres team was deliberately dismantled to be bad. They worked at hitting rock bottom. I figure they were 10-15 points worse than normal because of the moves Murray made. So to me saying 25-point improvement is like saying 10-15 point improvement, which I think is way to little.

I just don't see anywhere near bottom 5 in the league. There is just way too much talent on this team not to take playoff talk seriously. The division is not that great and the only locks I see in it are Tampa and Montreal. Not that far fetched to beat out a Detroit or Florida. Then you still have 2 Wild Cards after that. Toronto, Ottawa and Boston are hardly threats in my eyes.

The goaltending could easily sink the season (sorta like Edmonton last year, and the Islanders the year before that). It's a total wild card.

When you compare our top 6 to other teams that just made the playoffs last year, I think I take our group every time. That gives me hope that we have a chance at the playoffs as soon as this year.

Who are the top 6?  I'm guessing...

kane, o'reilly, ennis, moulson, eichel?, reinhart????? 

Kane hasn't played a full season since 2010, and even then he missed 10 games.   If, and that's a big IF, he can stay healthy he might get near 30 goals. 

O'Reilly had 28 goals a couple seasons ago, but dropped to 17 last season.   What happened?   Was 28 a fluke?  He never even score 20 goals in his career before that season, dating back to when he was a 16 year old.

Ennis, we all know Ennis.   I'm hoping he has a breakout season, should hit 30 goals.  

The top line should be fine, but the second line could go any number of ways.   Does Eichel center the second line?  Girgensons?  Reihart?   Moulson seems like a lock, but who plays the other wing?  Foligno?  Girgensons?   

There are too many unknowns to make a prediction at this point.

Who are the top 6?  I'm guessing...

kane, o'reilly, ennis, moulson, eichel?, reinhart????? 

Kane hasn't played a full season since 2010, and even then he missed 10 games.   If, and that's a big IF, he can stay healthy he might get near 30 goals. 

O'Reilly had 28 goals a couple seasons ago, but dropped to 17 last season.   What happened?   Was 28 a fluke?  He never even score 20 goals in his career before that season, dating back to when he was a 16 year old.

Ennis, we all know Ennis.   I'm hoping he has a breakout season, should hit 30 goals.  

The top line should be fine, but the second line could go any number of ways.   Does Eichel center the second line?  Girgensons?  Reihart?   Moulson seems like a lock, but who plays the other wing?  Foligno?  Girgensons?   

There are too many unknowns to make a prediction at this point.

The top 6 I see are Kane, O'Reilly, Eichel, Ennis, Reinhart, Moulson.

You mentioning that Kane could reach 30 goals if healthy, that would be comparable to a top 10 goal scorer (#10 last year was Parise with 33). I would take that in a heartbeat. If both Kane and Ennis do that we are a top scoring team. Based on your comments and assumptions above that gets us way in the positives for goal scoring from the top 6.

The whole thread is about making a prediction, saying there are unknowns doesn't really help much IMO.

We scored 161 goals last year.

Nobody would say is it unreasonable for Kane/O'Reilly/Ennis to score 60 goals. I say it is likely.

Moulson/Eichel/Girgensons? Fifty might be a stretch, but I'd bet on Jack scoring 15-20 and pushing Matty Mo to at least that much.

Foligno/Reinhart/Gionta/McGinn/Larsson/Deslauriers. That group should generate 50 easy, right?

Plus 40 more from the D?

Am I overstating it to say 200 goals should be pretty easily achievable?

I just don't see anywhere near bottom 5 in the league. There is just way too much talent on this team not to take playoff talk seriously. The division is not that great and the only locks I see in it are Tampa and Montreal. Not that far fetched to beat out a Detroit or Florida. Then you still have 2 Wild Cards after that. Toronto, Ottawa and Boston are hardly threats in my eyes.

I think you're getting a little carried away, too soon. That's just my opinion of course.  

I predict Samson won't even start the season in Buffalo; it will take Eichel a season or 2 to truly adjust to the NHL and start to really show his true potential...there are a ton of new pieces that need to mesh together, including the HC and coaching staff.

And remember something: we can improve by 30 points and still fail to make the playoffs.

I think the playoffs are at least a season or 2 away.  

Doesn't mean it is not an exciting time to be a Sabres fan or that the upcoming season won't be fun and interesting.

Simply crafting a lineup from night to night intended to win, and not lose, will be a huge change and refreshing development.

I need to correct this because it isn't accurate in the least bit.

Kane played 74 games in 2011-2012 season, so he missed a whopping 8. However it was 1 more game than what he played in 2010-2011 where he missed 9 games, not 10.  The following year, he played every single game of the lockout season at 48.  Then he had a down year with 63 in which he clearly injured his shoulder which lead into last year where he had the surgery.  

Blue and I have already discussed ROR 28goal season.  We are unlikely to see him with that high a shooting percentage again. However 20goals is a reasonable number to expect from him.

Gionta interview on WGR; reactions to O'Reilly, Eichel

- O'Reilly: excitement level at trade is huge, guys from team texting each other about excitement when it went through

- Gionta on his own signing last year (knowledge of the tank): There was talk, knew it was a rebuild, but the intent was to be good within the 3 years of his contract (hence it's length)

- 2015-2016 expectations: Win games (generic answer)

- On mentoring Eichel: Make sure he has appreciation for his opportunity, says he believes Eichel will probably already know that. Help him through rough nights

- On Byslma; detailed oriented, looking to change culture, making sure everyone has same vision/is together, Byslma's teams buy into his system (one that is well defined, well planed; nothing better as a player to have a plan/role going into a game)

All in all a pretty boring interview. 

http://media.wgr550.com/a/106996590/brian-gionta-talks-eichel-and-ryan-o-reilly.htm

Not really sure where to put this (sorry if it's already been posted), but here's the national media's take on Murray's draft and the future of the Sabres. Craig Button says some interesting stuff around the 2 minute mark

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1018&id=831529&lang=en

That link goes to an interview with Eich.  Here's the draft reaction.

New system, roster overhaul.  I'm planning for a rough October/November.

Lot's of new players to mesh.  Just hope to see the team get better as the season goes on.  I could see them competing for the last playoff spot if everyone stays healthy and the goaltending is more than average.  It wouldn't be the worst outcome to just miss the playoffs and win the lottery to draft first.

2 questions -

1)what would you consider to be a disappointing season for the Sabres?  I don't really care that much about play-offs next season. I would just like to see them increase their season point total by about 25 or so. Get a full season under the belts of Eichart  / Pysyk and 1 full season of being a pro for Baptiste and Bailey. I'd also want to see McCabe thrive as the #1 Dman on the Amerks.

2) What is the line-up when Sabres are not just play-off contenders but Cup Contenders? 

Kane             Eichel           O'Reilly

Bailey            Reinhart       Ennis

Moulson       Girgensons   Baptiste

Deslauriers   Foligno         Fasching 

Risto                 Pysyk

not on roster     Bogosian

Gorges             McCabe  

Lerner

We really need to get McCabe out of the line up.  He's at least a year away. 

Yep. I fully expect moves to be made and I don't mean Donovan. The Sabres and the Amerks will both be better if Ruhwedel and McCabe are Amerks this season.

I think GMTM grabs a top 4 and a 6/7 as well.  He doesn't seem like he would short change his own team as Darcy did toward the end. 

The d pool is suddenly looking thin.

It was one of the things I have been harping on for months.  It is a reason we need to keep 1st and 2nd round picks going into next years draft.  We need to stock up some talent for a cup run or guys leaving now that we have the important pieces in place. We don't want to be Pittsburgh who never has a 1st round pick and drafts like crap.

It was one of the things I have been harping on for months.  It is a reason we need to keep 1st and 2nd round picks going into next years draft.  We need to stock up some talent for a cup run or guys leaving now that we have the important pieces in place. We don't want to be Pittsburgh who never has a 1st round pick and drafts like crap.

How do keeping 1st & 2nd round picks next year help THIS team's D? :unsure:

(I am remaining completely agnostic towards any trades of future picks, so please don't consider the Q to be advocating for that.)

How do keeping 1st & 2nd round picks next year help THIS team's D? :unsure:

(I am remaining completely agnostic towards any trades of future picks, so please don't consider the Q to be advocating for that.)

I think when we are actually ready for a deep cup run those picks will be 2-3 years in our system and some will be injury call ups. Without them I worry about the depth if Bogosian goes down or Ristolainen gets injured.  

I think when we are actually ready for a deep cup run those picks will be 2-3 years in our system and some will be injury call ups. Without them I worry about the depth if Bogosian goes down or Ristolainen gets injured.

While that is a plausible scenario, it is not (at least to the casual observer) germane to the conversation. Again, how do those future picks help THIS YEAR's depth chart?

The comment you responded to was one indicating that the CURRENT D corp (at least until TM makes another move or 2) is thin.

While that is a plausible scenario, it is not (at least to the casual observer) germane to the conversation. Again, how do those future picks help THIS YEAR's depth chart?

The comment you responded to was one indicating that the CURRENT D corp (at least until TM makes another move or 2) is thin.

Oh, well they don't.  It is why Murray needs to either trade for or sign a couple of guys. I was thinking 2-3 years down the road. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.