2015-2016 Expectations

Doohickie

These picks could wind up being good ammo for deadline deals in March if the team is in playoff contention.  I'm not against letting one of the kids like McCabe get his feet wet at the NHL level early in the season, only to bulk up the position later.

Oh, well they don't.  It is why Murray needs to either trade for or sign a couple of guys. I was thinking 2-3 years down the road. 

In addition, seems like many teams have 1-2 young guys that either break out or play over their heads during a cup run. Since they're on ELC they're almost "free" in terms of cap space so the team has better vets with the real money. Three years down the road I want the Sabres to have a few good-looking prospects to plug into the line-up to make the team better without making the cap a mess. That's harder with a bunch of 2nd through 7th round picks than with 1sts.

I think the Sabres could make a playoff run this season, but the defense along with the goaltending is going to determine whether they sneak into the playoffs, or are a team that is still 10-15 points away.

Just too many questions...

Gorges...Will he be the same player after the microfracture surgery

Pysyk...Can he be a top 4 20 minute player right away

Risto...Continue to improve or regress as a youngster ala Myers

Bogo...Can he stay healthy to the tune of dressing for 65-70 games

Weber, Carlo & whomever else fills the 5-6-7 roles...They are adequate 10-15 minute per game guys.

Lehner...Can he be a #1 and show that he is over concussion issues

Johnson...Nothing more than a backup good for 15 games or so

I had a dream last night we made it to the playoffs just barely, upset the #2 in our division in 6 before losing in 5 to TB. It was a good dream  :w00t:

That's what qualifies as a good dream these days?  I thought the bar would at least be set at winning the cup, the superbowl, and punching Tom Brady in the face all in the same day.

I expect improvement but not playoffs. Making the playoffs is definitely possible, especially when you look at our forwards, but the defense looks like , especially down the left side. If Ristolainen can transition over to the left hand side and McCabe earns a spot with the big club all year and plays well it could be a solid squad, but outside of that I am not optimistic about them as they currently stand.

My expectation is for a team that I can root for and not feel guilty over a win or a smirk over a loss. This is a young team, they'll grow together. Using hockey cliches, I want a team that plays with grit, works hard in the dirty areas, has a high level of compete, and is tough to play against. I expect a few bumps in the road, especially early on. But by late December early January, this team will be much more cohesive. I will enjoy watching this team grow, knowing that these guys are going to be MY guys for the foreseeable future. No more fire sales, or trying not to get attached to guys I know are going to be moved. I can become emotionally attached to players, not laundry.

Sabres Hockey will be fun to watch again. 

, I want a team that plays with grit, works hard in the dirty areas, has a high level of compete, and is tough to play against. 

Sabres Hockey will be fun to watch again. 

I want a team that scores or at least threatens to score.  Gritty grinding is ok on the bottom 2 lines but I want to see the promise of offensive firepower.  That will be fun to watch.

I want a team that scores or at least threatens to score. Gritty grinding is ok on the bottom 2 lines but I want to see the promise of offensive firepower. That will be fun to watch.

I want a team that scores a ton of goals.

Finally ROI for me. Last few been pretty tough to accept as a fan and an STH. The ROI is not $ but entertainment for me. The way this is lining up I think a 30 point increase is within reach. Grab a top 4 D and maybe even 40 points.  

Bylsma is going to have some options and it sounds like Sammy is open to playing wing in order to make it. Heh, remember the Leino when asked to play C? I'm loving what GMTM is making here. It will be FUN! 

So, there are some really interesting thoughts by NHL.com's Dan Rosen today in answering his fan mail:

Q: How far away are the Devils from the playoffs? -- @HarryJB4

A: They're not at the level of any of the teams that made the playoffs last season. They're behind the Columbus Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers and Boston Bruins (I think). They're probably on par right now with the Carolina Hurricanes, Philadelphia Flyers and, yes, the Buffalo Sabres.

Q: What kind of deal do you think Derek Stepan will get looking at the Ryan O'Reilly deal and the way he negotiated last time? -- @EbenezerZane

A: O'Reilly is the perfect comparable to Stepan in terms of age, position, production, etc. Stepan, who is seven months older, has actually been better than O'Reilly and has won more too.

Stepan has averaged 0.696 points per game through 362 games in his NHL career; O'Reilly has averaged 0.576 PPG through 427 games. Stepan has 89 goals, 163 assists and 252 points; O'Reilly has 90 goals, 156 assists and 246 points. Stepan is a plus-85; O'Reilly is a minus-13 (though this stat is as reflective on the team as it is the player, and the Rangers have been better than the Colorado Avalanche). The playoff numbers aren't comparable because Stepan has played in 80 playoff games; O'Reilly in 13

And here I was going to put the Devils in last on my future franchise promise rankings. 

Rosen should go look at the Devils prospect pool.  Their current team is basically their team.  They don't have any influx of talent to rely on now or in the future.  They have flat-lined. 

That whole ordering he has is ######. How is Boston paired with CBJ and Florida?

Edited by WildCard

That whole ordering he has is ######. How is Boston paired with CBJ and Florida?

They were the top 3 teams that missed out on the playoffs and he mentioned them immediately after last year's top 8.  Read his quote again, there's nothing nefarious there.

They were the top 3 teams that missed out on the playoffs and he mentioned them immediately after last year's top 8.  Read his quote again, there's nothing nefarious there.

Ah, my mistake. 

Does anyone agree with his assessment of Stepan?

Ah, my mistake. 

Does anyone agree with his assessment of Stepan?

Statistically Stepan has been better. I am not sure how much better I would really say he is, but better.  I would say paying Stepan 7.5mil is appropriate, he is the NYR #1 center correct?

Someone took Paulina's Instagram account away?

I can't believe I forgot to bring her up in the awesomeness-of-Gretzky argument in the other thread.

That omission is almost enough to add a shred of credibility to TBPhD's position (not really -- just being nice).

Statistically Stepan has been better. I am not sure how much better I would really say he is, but better.  I would say paying Stepan 7.5mil is appropriate, he is the NYR #1 center correct?

Either him or Brassard, most likely Stepan seeing as the point total edges in Brassard's favor (60 to 55) but Stepan missed 14 games this season. 

Stepan has been very, very consistent. In all 5 season in the NHL he has hit above 44 points (including the lockout; the 44 pt season), and 3/5 are above 50 pts. It took O'Reilly a little longer to find his grove (two 26 pt seasons to begin his career) but the next 3 seasons he has are 55+ pts. I would say with O'Reilly's intangibles he would be better, though Stepan is a very good player. 

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.